Looking forward to L800 but have concerns, what are your thoughts?

Comments

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited November 2019

Well, todays the day! I'm sure you haven't slept much since the original day of delivery ;) Good Luck!

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    What's the break-in period on the L800's?
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    dromunds wrote: »

4h71qv0zhh9x.jpg
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    dromunds wrote: »

It is usually a bit longer, than the return policy.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited November 2019
    This may not be helpful to anyone but me, but I just took the liberty of snipping out the published L800 specs from Polk for reference.
    https://d3vqw2nv1topde.cloudfront.net/assets/Product Documents/Legend/Polk_Legend_Brochure_Digital.pdf

b0idvgo7enzy.png

Note that the nominal 4 ohm impedance yields a sensitivity of 84 dB SPL @ 1 meter per 1 watt.

heh. One may get the specs for (just) the L800 here, too:
    https://d3vqw2nv1topde.cloudfront.net/assets/Product Documents/Legend/Polk_Legend_Owners_Manual_English_L800_MP.pdf
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Thank you for taking the liberty.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    2.80 ohm min that will stress some gear....
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    2.80 ohm min that will stress some gear....

Yeah, probably -- although the context is missing (frequency for Zmin and, not to be a broken record ;) the impedance and phase curves).

I do think it's safe to assume that anyone droppin' the cash on a pair of these likely has a capable enough amplifier.

I do not, so it's kind of a non-issue here.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    mpitogo wrote: »
    Yes!!! Stereo!

Yippee!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Let the Grin begin :)
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    We're ready for a Don level review. I haven't kept up with this, what were your previous speakers that you liked? For comparison purposes to what you think of the Legends.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • dromunds
    Nightfall wrote: »
    We're ready for a Don level review. I haven't kept up with this, what were your previous speakers that you liked? For comparison purposes to what you think of the Legends.

After a suitable break in period of course. 😉. I’m still wondering if the break in period is similar to the LSiM’s or what?
  • bbeacham
    bbeacham Posts: 141
    An immediate review is fine, and a later review after break in is also fine.
  • dromunds
    edited November 2019
    mpitogo: what kinda TT you rocking? That earlier photo kinda looks like maybe an earlier Denon platter but the arm different? Hard to see on my iphone
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    I’m very content to say the least.

@Nightfall previous were Polk LSiM707 which eclipsed my other previous Polk LSi25. Polkie through and through but never had one of the original SDA, I was in grade when they came out.

LSiM 707’s were my prior favorite and are still in my life but the L800’s are here to stay! I play a very large variety of genre but I’m on a classic kick recently. Mixed in with a bit of new stuff and a @DSkip curated demo playlist.

@dromunds yes, its a Denon DP-2500 with a DL–110

Any track suggestions? This one below gave me goose bumps at NYAS where I first demoed the L800.

https://music.apple.com/us/album/requiem-pie-jesu/590012562?i=590012704
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Here's a start...

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/22736/sda-playlist/p1

That should keep you busy for a while! :)
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    @Emlyn sure is! Thank you!

@DSkip wow what is that? as the title suggests, trippy.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    Any track suggestions?
    If you’re into classic, and requiems in particular, then it’s hard not to like Requiem by Mozart
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    In a similar genre, also try Handel’s Messiah
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Also, since Dave Brubeck was in the list from @Emlyn I’d also try Take Five by Dave Brubeck.
    Alea jacta est!
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    @Emlyn sure is! Thank you!

@DSkip wow what is that? as the title suggests, trippy.

It's on the new Tool album. Even if you're not a fan of Tool, it's a fun showcase for any hifi system.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • dromunds
    ElectricLadyland -Hendrix. !!!
    Sgt Peppers, Rubber Soul -Beatles
    DSOTM,
    On An Island - David Gilmour
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I was only at Skips for a short time and played 1/2 dozen Tidal tracks. War Pigs did not do well imho, but Black Magic Woman shined
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited November 2019
    Any track suggestions?
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I listened to some of those SDA playlist tracks again last night on non-SDA speakers. It's easy to hear why SDA would work well on all of those. Herbie Hancock's Chameleon was always a number one test track for me when I was doing the SDA thing. Watermelon Man too, but the whole Headhunters album was spectacular.
    YES! I really want to listen to Watermelon Man on SDA's! Ages ago I had the pleasure of attending a drum clinic given by Harvey Mason. He talked a little about the production of that track's opening sequence.

Other tracks I would love to listen to on SDA's:

Yello - "La Habanera"
    Yello - "Ciel Overt"
    Quincy Jones - "The Places You Find Love"
    Lincoln Mayorga - "Camarillo"
    Carl Orff - "Fortune Empress Of The World "
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,163
    edited November 2019
    mpitogo, now that you have a correct pair of L-R speakers, please let us all know your impressions of the L800s when you take a listening break.

Congrats on the new SDA speakers!
  • I remember my Lsi25 came in boxes that are color coded. I think the right speaker has red texts with a big letter "R" on the box. Left speaker box has black text, of course. Pretty obvious that no one should make mistakes sending out two of the same. Why not doing the same thing for the Legend series.

@mpitogo Congratulation on the new speakers. They look dominant in your room. Looking forward to your opinion of them. Thanks