Polk Model 7A score

Options
gatemplin
gatemplin Posts: 1,595
edited January 2005 in Vintage Speakers
So I am at a fellow AK members house today (BigErik) and were are listening to some tunes. He gets up to go to the washroom and by the time he shuts the door I have a Polk 7A under each arm and 60 seconds later I'm doing a buck twenty in the Integra. In my hasty retreat I forgot to snag the stands! Does anybody have the dimensions of the 7A stands for me?

These sound really nice so far, much different than what I am used to. They look similar to Russ' except that the surrounds are all black and my cabs aren't in as good condition. These have the original Peerless domes with the holes in the center. They still have the tag stapled to the back with the inspection signature, these are definitely keepers. I'm missing one of the Polk badges but thats fine since I usually leave the grills off.

They certainly do image well and I wasn't expecting that. I dont really listen for that too much anyway but it is a nice surprise. I'm feeding them 50 watts a piece from the Sansui.
Graham
Post edited by gatemplin on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2005
    Options
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Stealing from a guy named BigErik........LOL. You better hope he doesn't know where you live. ;)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gatemplin
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Stealing from a guy named BigErik........LOL. You better hope he doesn't know where you live. ;)

Nah I wouldn't mess with Erik. They dont call him big Erik for nothing and I'm about 145 soaking wet.

Thanks Mark, that should work fine. I'll make up some temporary stands using the dimensions of those. Right now they are on stands that are way too tall.

I really like these speakers. Unfortunately though the right channel in the Sansui pre section just dropped out when I was listening to some Muddy Waters.:( I have them hooked up to the Harman now.
    Graham
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Yeah, I was joking with you.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gatemplin
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Sure, just wanted people to know I was being facetious. I'm not very good at it. :)
    Graham
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2005
    Options
    take a look at these solid oak speaker stands from a guy on the bay who makes his own.. it sounds like he can make customized height, etc for you.

just thought i'd pass this along. since i'm not handy with power tools.

oak speaker stands with 5 degee tilt

oh yeah. super nice score there bud.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • gatemplin
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Thanks DB. I've seen that guy before, he does some good work. I'll just make my own though.
    Graham
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Original 7's w/ Peeless... Vintage Polk doesn't get much better than that... (execpting SDA of course).

Nice nab...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • gatemplin
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Original 7's w/ Peeless... Vintage Polk doesn't get much better than that... (execpting SDA of course).

Nice nab...

Thanks Bruce. They are definitely one of the better speakers I have heard, and I've heard a lot of speakers :). If I dont end up keeping them I will make sure they "stay in the family". I'm keeping my eyes out for SDAs but between these and my DIY monitors I dont have any more speaker money.:D
    Graham
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2005
    Options
    If you can swing $60, keep your eye out for a Carver C-9 Sonic Holgraphy generator. Slap it on one of your receiver's tape loops and you'll get a taste of SDA.

And you should be able to resell it later for what you pay...

SH is not as involving as SDA (more restrictive sweet spot for one thing), but ain't bad....

Someone here will appreciate your passing on the 7's at a date TBD, but I'm betting that will be a good ways down the road... Enjoy...

And sorry to hear the Sansui devloped an issue. You should be able to land some good troubleshooting advice over at AK...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • gatemplin
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Someone here will appreciate your passing on the 7's at a date TBD, but I'm betting that will be a good ways down the road... Enjoy...

Yeah they are my main speakers right now, no plans to get rid of them. I'll keep the SH in mind.

I'm sure I'll get some help over at AK for the Sansui. Hopefully it is nothing too serious. The 7s actually suit the Harman better I think.

BTW, do you or anyone else know if Polk still sells the little badges for the grills?
    Graham
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I don't think the old logo badges (with the heart dotting the "i")are available through Polk, but you can always post a "wanted" ad in the Flea Market...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli