Official Polkfest 2019 - complete with new SDAs!

Comments

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,286
    I told David he couldn’t come unless he brought the truck. It’s spectacular in every way.
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 8,664
    He promised me a ride but then just left. I really wanted to feel 750hp.

Biggest surprise of the weekend? Indyhawg is a full fledged metal head. Who knew? Not me anyway.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,913
    Nightfall wrote: »

Biggest surprise of the weekend? Indyhawg is a full fledged metal head. Who knew? Not me anyway.

you and me both Josh
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 5,141
    This is going to be short, concise, to the point, and probably p!$$ some people off but here goes...

Comparing to my experiences with fully modded 2.3TLs, and speaking *ONLY* to the SDA portion, the SDA from the 2.3TLs was well integrated and smoothly transitioned from one point to the next. It felt as if it was meant to be.

On the L800s, the SDA seemed "gimmicky" to me. It wasn't well integrated and like Russ stated, things were not consistent.
    It got so annoying to me that I only felt like listening to a few songs before moving on to other rooms and ultimately spent my most time with the RF Elbas. The Elbas are slightly cheaper, but to me, they are the better speaker.

Feel free to sling the "your ears are crap" and "the setup was crap" and "you don't know what to listen for" crap but I was there and I know what I heard.

Frankly, I would rather listen to 2 channel music on the L200s (Would love to get some ears on the L600s) over the L800s.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,583
    No crap to sling.... more like stunned acceptance on my part. I would like to hear them in my home against the 1.2TL’s.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • BlueBirdMusicBlueBirdMusic Registered User Posts: 696
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Well then I will stand by my assessment that these were built more for the home theater crowd than 2ch. music. Honestly if I wanted to be in the middle of the band I would listen to 5.1/7.1 surround or any one of the other surround choices that put me there.

That sounds like the best answer to me. Been there, done that, and I didn't like the multiple channel music.
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,700
    I may be biased but the way I see it is at $6k you build for the best two channel speaker you can and it will still be better than a lot of home theater speakers and you can sell to both markets.
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,Kinki Studio EX-M1
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: L.K.S MH-DA004, North Star Design USB dac32, Cayin Venus cd-100i,
    Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic 2, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval, Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,611
    edited November 12
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    This is going to be short, concise, to the point, and probably p!$$ some people off but here goes...

Comparing to my experiences with fully modded 2.3TLs, and speaking *ONLY* to the SDA portion, the SDA from the 2.3TLs was well integrated and smoothly transitioned from one point to the next. It felt as if it was meant to be.

On the L800s, the SDA seemed "gimmicky" to me. It wasn't well integrated and like Russ stated, things were not consistent.
    It got so annoying to me that I only felt like listening to a few songs before moving on to other rooms and ultimately spent my most time with the RF Elbas. The Elbas are slightly cheaper, but to me, they are the better speaker.

Feel free to sling the "your ears are crap" and "the setup was crap" and "you don't know what to listen for" crap but I was there and I know what I heard.

Frankly, I would rather listen to 2 channel music on the L200s (Would love to get some ears on the L600s) over the L800s.

The L200s are (were, @ demo) quite palatable indeed.

I dunno 'bout the L600s - they look oh-so-early 2010s-ordinary to me. Stacks of drivers in a tower just says to me no imagination or no interest in being creative. :/

I mean, the L800s, at least, look different. They get points for that, in my book.

• tonybtonyb Posts: 31,652
    marvda1 wrote: »
    I may be biased but the way I see it is at $6k you build for the best two channel speaker you can and it will still be better than a lot of home theater speakers and you can sell to both markets.

Now that is the winning comment. :) My thoughts exactly Marv.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,716
    pda3tabod4my.jpg

onmpxu29d4ld.jpg

zlgy38bng8nm.jpg

All i have of the inside

Dude. I want that! They make it for Silverados?
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u
    lightman1 wrote: »
    kywth6fh4vp8.jpg
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Thank you, Russ. How are rehearsals for the all-male "Charlie's Angels" Broadway show going?

I will haunt your dreams and make your waking moments an exercise in nerve wracking anxiety......

@lightman1 looks like the "after" out-take from the photoshoot for the ol' Maxell Blown Away ad.
  • Mike ReeterMike Reeter Posts: 3,553
    No crap to sling.... more like stunned acceptance on my part. I would like to hear them in my home against the 1.2TL’s.

I'm also a little stunned/bummed that the L800's didn't impress. Part of me wants to believe that there must have been something gone awry in the internals of the them, shipping? Or, the SDA Cable had something going on with it.

But, you cant deny the conclusions of the collective group that witnessed/heard the outcome.

Oh well, I'm probably around 6K ahead at this point ;)

SDA SRS 2.3TL's/SDA SRS 3.1TL's/SDA CRS+4.1TL's and some other stuff
  • dkfreebirddkfreebird Posts: 1,106
    I will see if Skip wants me to bring one of my pair over so we can get a comparison of the old and new.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Fully modded with dreadnought
    Rogue Atlas Magnum
    Rogue Magnum 66
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Marantz UD 7007
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers
    Home theater
    Marantz SR 5009 Sunfire Signature 425x5-B&W Cdm1nt Cdm Center Channel
    Backups Polk Monitor 5 peerless,2.3tl,SRS2 pin/blade,Polk Crs+ pin/blade with stands.McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,913
    edited November 12
    joecoulson wrote: »
    pda3tabod4my.jpg

onmpxu29d4ld.jpg

zlgy38bng8nm.jpg

All i have of the inside

Dude. I want that! They make it for Silverados?

If you have the cash they make ANYTHING you want.

I will say that this truck had SUPER sound deadening stuff in the doors and everywhere as you could stand outside of it and not hear a thing. From what I could tell he was not holding back yet I and Russ and Jeff stood next to it and heard very very little of what was going on inside. When Jeff got in and then got out he this this guy was giving it a work out and not holding back and it just got louder and louder and clearer with no break up at all and we still said we heard nothing outside. No subs, no rattles and no window shake could be seen nor heard.
    That is a custom enclosure joe.
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,108
    edited November 12
    He did amazing work on that truck.

Hey it is 755HP and his amp went to 11. BTW do NOT google the price of that truck!
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

So the part that seems to be getting missed with regards to the L800s is that the Polk rep said they sounded like they should.
    So the flaws are in the speaker design itself if the Polk rep felt the speakers were performing as they should be.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

I dunno 'bout the L600s - they look oh-so-early 2010s-ordinary to me. Stacks of drivers in a tower just says to me no imagination or no interest in being creative. :/

I mean, the L800s, at least, look different. They get points for that, in my book.

The L200s grew on me. But more about that in the L200 demo thread.

well played, Grasshopper. Well played.

:)
  • indyhawgindyhawg Posts: 1,350
    edited November 12

I am looking forward to my turn to demo the L200's....but for this event, the Elbas really grew on me as the day went on, but I will write more on that later.
    Am I the only one that thought the Elbas bass was a bit much? I'm not a huge bass head though, I like my deep bass to have just a touch of presence. The Pienzas were just about perfect for my tastes.

• Nightfall wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thought the Elbas bass was a bit much? I'm not a huge bass head though, I like my deep bass to have just a touch of presence. The Pienzas were just about perfect for my tastes.

Lucky for you, the Pienzas are also a little easier on the wallet, lol.
    Personally I think the sound on the Pienzas are phenomenal, and I think if I was actually taking out my wallet I might actually pick them over the Elbas. But I also know I'd miss some of that bass impact. The Pienzas do dig much lower than I expected. You're not missing too much.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Sony CDP-CE375 / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > JBL Studio 580 or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs

Personally I think the sound on the Pienzas are phenomenal, and I think if I was actually taking out my wallet I might actually pick them over the Elbas. But I also know I'd miss some of that bass impact. The Pienzas do dig much lower than I expected. You're not missing too much.

For you, we have the Certaldo!

zlfdg5xoh4u7.jpeg
    On that note, one attendee told me as he was leaving - “I didn’t plan on spending anywhere near $3500 on speakers, but you’ve got my wheels turning.”

He was speaking of the first gen Certaldos I am trying to find a home for.
  • displaynamedisplayname Posts: 487
    edited November 12
    DSkip wrote: »

zlfdg5xoh4u7.jpeg

You say this like I don't already know, haha.

Honestly if I had the cashflow we'd be having a shootout between the Thors and the Centraldo. That sounds fun!
    But adult life has been coming hard this year. Instead of Rossos I'm getting a new fence and roof. whoo. hoo. Thanks mother nature.
    Discogs
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,108
    Lots of tarps and go for the speakers. Lol.
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

zlfdg5xoh4u7.jpeg

Honestly if I had the cashflow we'd be having a shootout between the Thors and the Centraldo. That sounds fun!
    But adult life has been coming hard this year. Instead of Rossos I'm getting a new fence and roof. whoo. hoo. Thanks mother nature.
    erniejade wrote: »

Maybe a poll could be of use?
  • erniejade wrote: »

zlfdg5xoh4u7.jpeg

erniejade wrote: »

Maybe a poll could be of use?

Touche. I can just send that claim check back right? Or maybe they'll just understand that I went for speakers instead. >:)
    Discogs
    The poll won't help. Entire forum will be split 50/50.

• DarqueKnightDarqueKnight Posts: 6,619

It might just be an example of bad synergy. I encountered a hard example of this during the 2018 and 2010 AXPONA shows with the awesome Sonus faber Aida II speakers ($130,000 per pair). I have written about these experiences in prior threads.

2018 Aida II AXPONA Experience - This was the most dynamic, most life like, most realistic sound stage I have ever heard in my life. I spent hours in that room and I constantly compared the sound of other speakers at the show to the Aidas. There were only two things I didn't like: 1. The bass didn't have the speed, weight, definition, and thunder I preferred, especially for a speaker of that size. 2. I didn't like the "head in a vice" requirement for proper sound stage rendering in the sweet spot (of course, that's par for the course for conventional speakers).

2019 Aida II AXPONA Experience - Same speakers, same company reps, same local dealer reps, same room, different equipment, different cables, and different positioning in the room. I couldn't stand it. The Aidas had a shrill brightness that I found distracting and irritating. Other people at the show, as well as another of our forum members, said the same thing about the hot top end. I thought perhaps, since this was the first day of the show, they weren't through dialing them in. The company rep assured me they were set up properly and sounded as they should. When I mentioned that they sounded RADICALLY different from the previous year, I was told that I was hearing the differences between last year's and this year's electronics. Even with that assurance from a very credible source, I still felt there was something "wrong" in the setup. I came prepared to listen to a few of my favorite musical selections, as I did the previous year, but I was done after the first song.

The only positive was that the bass was excellent: detailed, fast, articulate, and weighty. The Aidas were driven by a pair of McIntosh 1200 watt solid state monoblocks. The previous year they were driven by a pair of Audio Research 750 watt tube monoblocks. I revisited the Aida room several times on Friday and Saturday, and, I was bitterly disappointed on each visit. This experience wasn't all a waste though. At least I found out that the Aidas can produce the kind of bass I like.

2018 Aida comments:
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/181769/dks-axpona-2018-experience-pt-2-of-3-sonus-faber-aida-review

2019 Aida comments:
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2503657#Comment_2503657
    "So hot it burns Mice!"~DK
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member
    "Knowledge, without understanding, is a path to failure."~DK
    "Those who irrationally rail against something or someone that is no threat to them, actually desire (or desire to be like) the thing or person they are railing against."~DK