Official Polkfest 2019 - complete with new SDAs!

Comments

• indyhawgindyhawg Posts: 1,350
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    indyhawg wrote: »
    Those Triaxials were the bomb back in the day.

Yeah, they were -- although then, I'd rather have had a pair of the little Polk Audio MiniMonitors. I loved them, couldn't afford a pair... and would not mind havin' a pair now. :|

... but I digress...

Agree on the mini-monitors. I would love to find a pair for my office. There was a car audio shop that pushed the mini monitors back in the mid 80s in the area that was local to me. The mini monitors did sound nice in a vehicle with quality amplification. And that is enough digressing for me.
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,104
    Didn't the mini monitors have an issue with melting or something?
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

• verbverb Posts: 8,170
    Those Triaxials were the bomb back in the day.

Yeah, they were -- although then, I'd rather have had a pair of the little Polk Audio MiniMonitors. I loved them, couldn't afford a pair... and would not mind havin' a pair now. :|

nqh4krejvmri.png
    source: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2395474#Comment_2395474

... but I digress...

Whoa! Never seen those before! Cool! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,884
    DSkip wrote: »
    verb wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I'm happy to have gone to this. Thanks Skip for having us. Hearing the Rosso's in the bigger room upstairs has shown me I really am playing at a pedestrian level. How real they sounded was amazing even if I didn't listen to any of my music on them I could still tell how good they were.

Well said! I feel the same way! But it's exciting to think about what my journey holds in store for me!

Interesting discussion on the L800's thus far. Only here on CP, as IIRC nowhere else has a bunch of folks been able to deep dive the new speakers!

Most reviews out there seem to be from folks who never experienced SDA before, or have long forgotten.

The L800 chatter has crossed over to AK, FWIW.

So you made me look! Dang it Mark! :smile: And what did I find, one of our very own slugging it out on the thread!
    21oq1f2mte98.png

Interesting, there was posting from an attendee at @DSkip 's Polkfest. Not very flattering.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/new-polk-legend-l800-the-return-of-sda.883101/page-4

I took a peek at the AK thread also. I must have missed that attendee. But he had pictures so he must have been there.

That was the boyfriend of the girl who went toe to toe with Willy.

she lost ! LOL

I believe he was also stating that amps do not make a difference LOL I had to walk away.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 43,087
    My understanding is the guy thinks pro gear is the pinnacle of audio reproduction, which means his review of the L800 is worthless.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

SIHAB wrote: »
    Nut dirties up another thread. :(

So if I have this right, the new Polks tweeters ARE better than the LSiM line. Right?
    I would expect the bass to be better than the LSim line as well?

Not really dirty-ing, IMO, but Jesse in his signature style calling someone out who obviously doesn't know what they're talking about! :)

Style points? Well, we all love Jesse! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,410
    edited November 11
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I'm happy to have gone to this. Thanks Skip for having us. Hearing the Rosso's in the bigger room upstairs has shown me I really am playing at a pedestrian level. How real they sounded was amazing even if I didn't listen to any of my music on them I could still tell how good they were.

Well said! I feel the same way! But it's exciting to think about what my journey holds in store for me!

Interesting discussion on the L800's thus far. Only here on CP, as IIRC nowhere else has a bunch of folks been able to deep dive the new speakers!

Most reviews out there seem to be from folks who never experienced SDA before, or have long forgotten.

So you made me look! Dang it Mark! :smile: And what did I find, one of our very own slugging it out on the thread!
    21oq1f2mte98.png

Interesting, there was posting from an attendee at @DSkip 's Polkfest. Not very flattering.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/new-polk-legend-l800-the-return-of-sda.883101/page-4

I took a peek at the AK thread also. I must have missed that attendee. But he had pictures so he must have been there.

she lost ! LOL

I believe he was also stating that amps do not make a difference LOL I had to walk away.

You're preaching to the choir here, brother, we all know that amps all sound the same and don't waste your money on expensive cables, extension cord from Home Depot works just as well. And don't ever, EVER pay more than 3 bucks for an HDMI or USB cable, it's just ones and zeroes.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,648
    kharp1 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

21oq1f2mte98.png

she lost ! LOL

You're preaching to the choir here, brother, we all know that amps all sound the same and don't waste your money on expensive cables, extension cord from Home Depot works just as well. And don't ever, EVER pay more than 3 bucks for an HDMI or USB cable, it's just ones and zeroes.

Why do these types even go to audio shows then ? Join audio forums ? They always seem more bent on arguing than learning.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • SIHABSIHAB Posts: 1,578
    @verb It was a chance to educate based on your level of patience...
    and maybe even learn something. I would guess this why people
    conjugate at these event. Too bad skip couldn't dial the L800s in...

I hear ya. Alcohol and testosterone flowing, an explosive combination for sure!

I for one, can't wait until the next gathering. Sure, to be educated (love to spend some time with @DSkip and others with more experience), but it is also a time for camaraderie and family!

When I went to AXPONA this past year I literally met folks F2F for the first time, but I felt I've known them for a long time. All the posts, PM's, following threads, laughter, sorrow, joy for others, etc., I already felt connected.

Like seeing an old friend. :smile:

@DSkip just a shout out to you for hosting this event! I know it takes a lot of time, and money, so I hope you enjoyed yourself, and maybe even sold a few bits and pieces!
  • JstasJstas Posts: 13,847
    conjugate at these event.

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • gudnoyezgudnoyez Posts: 7,061
    Sounds like all had a good time, good People good equipment, wish I could of attended.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,282

From what Polk told me, they were. I was honestly hoping they would come in and tell me messed up because then it would’ve been on me and not the speaker.

I could have probably gotten a little better tone but honestly I was digging the balance. Throughout the day they were quiet to absolutely blasting. These are speakers that change tone and performance as volume changes.

The truth is I had 24 hours to make magic happen in four different rooms. It sometimes takes 60 hours just to get that in one room at shows. Even the Siena setup wasn’t optimized and I sadly spent the least time in that room. The Polk setup got most of my attention because of the phase anomalies. I am frustrated that the Polk rep never showed up because it could have saved us time and effort trying to fix something that is apparently in the design of the speaker.

I spent about 30 minutes on the Siena, 30 on the Pienza, 90 minutes on the Elba and about four combined hours on the Polk.

I also swapped the Elba in my living room Sunday and they sounded very similar to how they did in the room they were in on Saturday. This also gives me further confidence that the L800 were fairly well dialed in.

I’m only hitting this hard because I’m hoping anyone interested in these speakers will spend some good time in front of them and get a great feel for them first. Some people are more sensitive to phase than others and if you are more sensitive, these might be a hard buy unless you like the idea of having parts of the stage behind you. I personally was excited about becoming a dealer for these but now I’m not certain I will go down that path.

I hear ya. Alcohol and testosterone flowing, an explosive combination for sure!

I for one, can't wait until the next gathering. Sure, to be educated (love to spend some time with @DSkip and others with more experience), but it is also a time for camaraderie and family!

When I went to AXPONA this past year I literally met folks F2F for the first time, but I felt I've known them for a long time. All the posts, PM's, following threads, laughter, sorrow, joy for others, etc., I already felt connected.

Like seeing an old friend. :smile:

@DSkip just a shout out to you for hosting this event! I know it takes a lot of time, and money, so I hope you enjoyed yourself, and maybe even sold a few bits and pieces!

Thanks Dave. I’ll have another meet next October. I’m getting close to a decade of events at my house during this time of year. Start planning now! Lol.
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,671
    edited November 12
    Looked like a good time and a fitting environment to listen to some good music. The L800 comments are particularly interesting. While a dedicated audio purposed room would be great, lets not kid ourselves. The L800's have provisions for Atmos on top so they very well may end up in a setting much like what Skip setup. Anyway, it is what it is and all feedback is interesting to read.
    The audio in that F150 was incredible.
    OK, I want to hear more about the truck and see pics of the interior. What equipment was in there?
    Let's see, what else do I have?
    ofrrmqmwrjjm.jpg
    Those Italians...always have to put sexy into their designs. LOL! Those are clean!
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,648
    Agreed Skip, but for that to work both parties need an open mind and a willingness to learn. Many in this Audio hobby of ours are dead set in their beliefs and nothing is gonna change them. Which is also fine....we all enjoy audio on our own level.

It's like hearing fake news when I hear some say, all amps sound the same, cables don't matter, better specs dictate better sound, blah blah. I can't sit through fake news on other media, and certainly don't want to while enjoying music.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 4,472
    Thank you, Russ. How are rehearsals for the all-male "Charlie's Angels" Broadway show going?
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,574
    Is it possible the L800 needed more break-in for them to settle down?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 4,472
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Thank you, Russ. How are rehearsals for the all-male "Charlie's Angels" Broadway show going?

I will haunt your dreams and make your waking moments an exercise in nerve wracking anxiety......

You already are! :o
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,574
    I don’t think he has seen that thread yet...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 10,506

A consideration for sure, John.
    edited November 12

No. I asked repeatedly. They were broken in. As I said I kept trying to find reasons other than the speakers to blame. In the end, it was the speakers and their intended effect. The Polk rep and I almost got into a verbal altercation because he told me it was correct and I kept telling him there was no way this is what the end result was intended to be.

It can’t be, can it? Sigh.

I wanted to be wrong. I NEEDED to be wrong. But I was told I wasn’t....
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,884
    Well then I will stand by my assessment that these were built more for the home theater crowd than 2ch. music. Honestly if I wanted to be in the middle of the band I would listen to 5.1/7.1 surround or any one of the other surround choices that put me there.
  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 8,362
    Perhaps there will be an opportunity in the future to A/B one of the older SDAs with the L800's under the same conditions and with the same gear.
    dromunds wrote: »
    Perhaps there will be an opportunity in the future to A/B one of the older SDAs with the L800's under the same conditions and with the same gear.

I should be able to do that later this week with my srs 2.
  • indyhawgindyhawg Posts: 1,350
    WLDock wrote: »
    Looked like a good time and a fitting environment to listen to some good music. The L800 comments are particularly interesting. While a dedicated audio purposed room would be great, lets not kid ourselves. The L800's have provisions for Atmos on top so they very well may end up in a setting much like what Skip setup. Anyway, it is what it is and all feedback is interesting to read.
    The audio in that F150 was incredible.
    OK, I want to hear more about the truck and see pics of the interior. What equipment was in there?
    Let's see, what else do I have?
    ofrrmqmwrjjm.jpg
    Those Italians...always have to put sexy into their designs. LOL! Those are clean!

I do not have any interior pictures of the truck. Maybe @erniejade, @Nightfall, or @lightman1 took a few. From what I recall, the speakers and subs were all by Hybrid Audio Technology. They were driven by 2 6 channel Zapco amps. He was using the regular head unit to playing through Tidal when I listened.