Monitor 10B crossovers rebuild.

Options
transmaster
transmaster Posts: 428
edited December 2017 in Vintage Speakers
I am rebuilding another set of crossovers for my Monitor 10B's. The set currently installed I rebuilt a number of years ago with Mills resistors, a Sonicap Gen I for the C1 caps, and Axon True Caps for C2 and 3. I just upgraded to a Yamaha Aventage RX-A770 AVR My 10B's are the anchor R/L fronts. They sound fantastic. The Yamaha has detected a problem with the left side 10B they are out of phase and there is something that is causing an occasional speaker wire fault shutdown, the phasing issue is taken care of but the speaker fault is this still there. A very nice pair of 10B crossover came available on eBay so I purchased them. I have considerably more experience than I did back than and much better equipment do the job with.

This time I want to use a set of Mundorf MCap EVO 450 VDC caps. Sonic Craft has these capacitors for a very good price. I wanted to touch bases here on this choice. I know the Sonicap Gen 1 is a good one but considerably more expensive. I will use the Vishay Mill wirewound resistors Sonic Craft has. The schematic for the 10B shows 5-watt resistors, I used 12-watt mills on the older rebuild I couldn't get anything else. Use the specified 5-watt resistor or stay with the 12-watt resistor? The bogus Polyswitch will be replaced with a 0.5 ohm Vishay Mill part 5 watts? or 12 watts??.

I need to point out that these 10B's are actually about 5 years old. When I refurbished them I ended up replacing all of the drivers with new ones from Polk Audio, all four 6503's, and the SL2000 where replaced with the RDO-194's which sound much better than the SL2000's.

I have not posted here in years. Looking for some good advice from fellow "Polkie's" I have been one for almost 30 years.

Radio Station W7ITC

Comments