Cox vs AT&T

Hi There,

Last month Cox sent us a nice ugly bill. Normal is $150 for 300Mbs internet TV and phone, then we get our last bill $300, WTF! Our bundles don't expire till February err.

4 phone calls totaling 2.5 hours to Cox over two weeks and it might be fixed now. Who knows. I did loose it on one poor customer service guy who kept saying my bundles dropped off and my new bill is $230. That is way too much money for what we use. No HBO or other pay channels. According to the last Cox CS rep, they said for some reason my bundles dropped off. since they were last years bundles they couldn't reapply them. They are to be put back one before we get the next bill.

I called AT&T. For $120 a month we can get mostly the same channels, wife gets her home phone but the internet is scary. Internet 50 plan. 50Mbs when I'm use to 300Mbs speeds. Kids are always streaming something or playing games. I asked about fiber and all I could get is they are rolling it out in your area now. I have asked 3 different reps of when would the fiber be available, I couldn't even get a ball park date range from any of them. One thing I did get from all of them was once fiber is in I will be able to get 300Mbs for the same price.

So here is the dilemma,

Do I stick with Cox who keeps trying to raise my rates. Internet is fast and never down.

Change over to AT&T. Cheaper but who knows when fiber will be available, next month or next year.

I can live without normal TV but slow internet is a deal breaker.
When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited November 2019
    High speed DSL is a lot more finicky with speeds than cable. Heavily depends on the quality and age (some phone lines still in use are ancient) of phone lines between you and them including the ones in your house and also how physically far away you are from them. I would wait until fiber is actually available myself.

The cable companies do suck though.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    AT&T is in no hurry to invest in fiber. The have fiber run into parts of my
    subdivision, but haven't done anything with it. I suspect instead of running
    to homes, they are setting up for 5g coverage. Once that's up and running, they
    can give you pretty good internet without running anything into ANY house.
    This is the wave of the future. They don't want to have to go into anybody's
    home or business anymore. That means less techs on the payroll.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    That's true. Will it be priced competitively and what will data caps and throttling look like I wonder.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    I'm sure it will suck at all levels.
    Xfinity unlimited isn't really unlimited. They just
    charge you $$$ once you go over the cap.
    Use as much as you want. Go ahead!!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Cox charges when we hit 1TB of usage, in the last year we've hit that like 3 times. Sounds like a lot but my wife alone streaming from Amazon would use over 100GB in a weekend.

The AT&T offer is sweet but no one can tell me when I can go to fiber. It is in some areas of Chula Vista already.

My brother in Atlanta has AT&T true gigabit fiber.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Can't wait for att to get it together with fiber optic action in my area. Hate Spectrum.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    We’ve have Spectrum 100MB cable for years now (5+ started out as only 30MB and increased gradually). When it works, it’s great, but it has failed three times completely. Each time, they come out the next day and replace the modem... again... !

We had DSL with AT&T before. Only 6MB, but it didn’t even fail once. Not ever. Fiber is available now, so we may switch, but I’m concerned about all of the streaming we do on multiple Apple TV’s, iPads & iPhones.

We use Ooma for phone (as well as mobile). It’s unlimited, has advanced features, works when we are traveling or overseas as well (via iPhone App) and a fraction of the cost from either AT&T or Spectrum.

Calling customer service is one of the most unpleasant experiences known to man (unless it is Apple). I can only imagine 2.5 hours of it! 🤢
    Alea jacta est!
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Man, what is up with these companies.

AT&T could not answer the question of when fiber will be available. Top it off they can't even give me a weekend install date. Guess they don't want my business. Over an hour to cancel having to call 4 different numbers.

Cox better have my bill fixed. If I didn't need internet I'd stick an antenna on the roof and be done.