Metallica S&M2 - in the theater....

Who went to see it today? What did you think? I’ll reserve my observations til later. I watched it in a mid-grade theater in Middleton, WI - so my experience may be a little tainted...

Impressions?
Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.

Comments

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    We saw it tonight, and I loved it! However, I am an incredibly bias lifelong Metallica fan. Overall I think they did a great job. Some cool additions and new takes on things vs the first S&M. It was well filmed. We'll see how the sound comes out on the final audio, but I'm so glad we went to see it in the theater.

I will say my girlfriend is not a die hard Metallica fan, but she's been slowly coming around. I thought she would review this as "tolerable but too long" but she authentically enjoyed it too.

It's not going to win over anyone that doesn't like Metallica, but if you enjoyed the first S&M, I think you'll enjoy this one too.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    I hope that the theater I watched it in was the problem... not the mix. I felt like the meat of the drums was nearly nonexistent. I understand that theaters are tuned for movies, not concert reproduction, but I hope the when it’s released for home viewing I can crank it again and feel Lars hitting me in the chest!

I really enjoyed it. The lull in the middle almost lost me, but it picked right back up after that. The tribute to Cliff was amazing. Great show, awesome followup to the original. Excited to pump it through the SDA's at a future date! 🤘🏻🤘🏻
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.