Blair Chapman 12au7 SRPP Preamp

Made by Dallas audio guru Blair Chapman, this musical sounding preamp uses two 12au7s, silver wiring and a toroid transformer. It's been in my system since new in 2006. During the last 13 years I have bought and listened to other preamps. Those were sold, including a Maple Tree pre and a Tube Audio Lab 76 pre (see last photo), because Blair's sounded better to my ears. System simplified, hence the sale. According to the maker, the wood case was made from a 200 year old stool (FWIW) $275 plus shipping. Thank you.3dd6pjvn4kku.jpeg
f0ebpsq2gqfa.jpeg
wleny14220eq.jpeg
pm8ftb0vd19h.jpeg
7x1y4xqz6xxz.jpg
Abbas Tube USB-SPDIF Converter with tube clocksAbbas V2 SE Tube DACAltmann Attraction DACNon-Pre passive preampYamaha M2 AmplifierDIY TPA3255 Mono Amps6L6 Williamson amplifier42 SET amp6V6 SET ampMcIntosh XRT18 speakersApogee Centaur MinorPioneer PAX A30 speakers

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited October 2019
    He’s a rad guy from what I’ve seen/read
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • maxchau
    maxchau Posts: 138
    A guy who only wants to pass a good deal onto another lucky person....
    Abbas Tube USB-SPDIF Converter with tube clocksAbbas V2 SE Tube DACAltmann Attraction DACNon-Pre passive preampYamaha M2 AmplifierDIY TPA3255 Mono Amps6L6 Williamson amplifier42 SET amp6V6 SET ampMcIntosh XRT18 speakersApogee Centaur MinorPioneer PAX A30 speakers
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Can you expand a bit on describing the sound, and what associated gear was used with it ? Thanks...
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • maxchau
    Tony,

To answer your question in a best possible way, I tested it with a professionally improved version of Trends Audio amp with an on board passive volume control. Source is a Sony DVD player with analog out. Speakers are a pair of Audio Alternatives with 8" Seas coaxial drivers. Playing Fourplay CD, with the Blair tube pre in the system, the sound has better mid range and lower end energy, which translates into wider sound stage and harder hitting bass. The very high frequency is also more accentuated but is a little more "close in" compared to leaving the pre out. The presentation is warmer overall.

SRPP typology is known for low distortion and transparency. The silver wired pre amp will sound noticeably differently with different quality tubes and interconnects. The Blair pre will be a noticeable improvement over a typical SS preamp.

Hope this info helps.

• maxchau
    This morning I added a video using the Blair pre and a Lance Cohrane EL84 amp, also for sale at $900 + shipping.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo87EeDMPfc
  • maxchau
    Lance Cochrane EL 84 amp photo

yb7la1nxye1p.jpeg
    fy3a0986cxtc.jpeg
    82lcxts6jk17.jpeg
  • maxchau
    The Blair pre has two inputs and one output. A toggle switch on the front panel switches the inputs. A red switch by the transformer is the power switch. thank you.
  • maxchau
    Equipment used in the above video:
    EPOS bookshelf speakers
    Lance Cochrane blue cake pan amp
    Blair pre
    The source is a tube DAC receiving music thru a bluetooth receiver
    iPhone XS recording

I think it's a pretty good demo.
  • tonyb
    Thanks for the added info, I'm going to ponder this for a few.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    That would be a shame Skip, as nothing I heard in that room stood out as exceptional to me. Not that it was bad, just mediocre.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Where is the preamp located? I’m interested to know for shipping purposes.
  • maxchau
    The preamp is located in Hillsboro, Oregon. Apology for the late reply. I was pre-occupied.
  • maxchau
    Flat rate $10 shipping to lower 48 states. Will pack very well.
  • Blownrx7
    Blownrx7 Posts: 137
    What are the 12AU7's that are installed and estimate of remaining life?
    TIA
  • maxchau
    edited October 2019
    I don't know the remaining tube life. The included pair tested on Hickok TV-7/U value 92 and 98. very strong tubes. 12au7 is typically rated at 10000 hours. And I have never encountered a tube failing in the last 13 years. Also, the circuit is simple and quite transparent and responds to different brands of tube quite noticeably.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Blownrx7 wrote: »
    What are the 12AU7's that are installed and estimate of remaining life?
    TIA

They appear to be Sylvania's and have the Baldwin organ logo it looks like to me.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited October 2019
    small signal tubes generally last forever to a good approximation when used as directed :)

... there are designers who run vacuum tubes at (and sometimes even beyond) their recommended limits, though. Typically power tubes, but sometimes small signal tubes, too.

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    PM sent on the pre
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • maxchau
    PM replied
  • meledis
    meledis Posts: 22
    SRPP typology is known for low distortion and transparency. The silver wired pre amp will sound noticeably differently with different quality tubes and interconnects. The Blair pre will be a noticeable improvement over a typical SS preamp.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Is this still available?
  • maxchau
    maxward, the pre amp is "potentially sold" to Audioluvr. I will let you know if it comes back on market. thank you. Max
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
  • audioluvr
    maxchau wrote: »
    maxward, the pre amp is "potentially sold" to Audioluvr. I will let you know if it comes back on market. thank you. Max

Thanks for holding! Coming back home for my daughter's 18th birthday tomorrow. Planning on coming over Saturday.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    Sold! Thanks Max! Great guy by the way. Love your collection of hand made tube stuff! Unfortunately my RCA inputs don't work on my left amp but I have a remedy. Just takes some time and soldering to convert a IC from XLR / XL:R to RCA / XLR
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• maxchau
    It was a great pleasure meeting a gentleman audioluvr yesterday. A somewhat brief yet wonderful chat. Looking forward to a visit to The Dalles when summer time comes around. Thank you. Max