35mm SLR Cameras

I'm talking about cameras that use actual film...of the 35mm variety. I have run across a small stash at my dad's house. Is there any interest in these 'vintage' cameras?
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I used to have one. I like digital better.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    There is interest, but in my area the professional photographers tell me it is getting harder and harder to find processing for folks who cannot do it themselves
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Yeah...the Walgreen's folks aren't very concerned with quality.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • jdjohn wrote: »
    I'm talking about cameras that use actual film...of the 35mm variety. I have run across a small stash at my dad's house. Is there any interest in these 'vintage' cameras?

What equipment did you find?

Any pictures of it?

I still occasionally use a Nikon Photomic Ftn from the late 1960s, and a Canon ELAN from the early 1990s. If the "stash" you found includes any lenses, attachments, or accessories for either of these, I might be interested -- to add to my "stash" of antiquities to leave for my children to ponder! :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    What all did you find?
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • jdjohn
    Here are a few:

Minolta QTsi Maxxum
    Canon Rebel2000 EOS
    Nikon AF-N6006
    Canon AE-1 (I still have one from college as well)

I also found a Cokin filter kit, along with a few Vivitar flashes and camera/flash mount bars(?).

FWIW, there was a Pentax K1000 in the mix, but the mirror broke loose from the SLR flap, so it went to the bin...as they say.
  • jdjohn
    edited September 2019
    Almost forgot...a Ricoh KR-30SP.

P.S. A few 2X teleconverters were found.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited September 2019
    Just like vacuum tubes :) there are still film guys umm, I mean, people out there! :)

My son is one of them* ;)
    http://icouldbeahero.blogspot.com/

By and large those cameras are modern enough not to be of great value to the folks who care for/about such things. The AE-1 (and also the K-1000) is still a nice 'student camera' (so to speak) and widely used as such to this day. I have to look up the Ricoh; the model doesn't ring a bell.

The is still value in vintage optics. Nowadays, a cottage industry of adaptors allow many fine old lens mounts to be used (fully manually, of course) on DSLRs and on mirrorless "SLR" digital cameras with detachable lenses.

For ideas on going prices check https://www.keh.com and https://www.adorama.com/c/Used
    KEH in particular is a successful and well-respected buyer and seller of used/vintage camera stuff. They also sell on eBAY (FWIW).

28068006966_00360e2a02_b.jpg003a by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    (for some reason, he keeps some of his strategic glass reserve at our house...)
    Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    ahh, the Ricoh. Nice looking, but also modern/electronic/(a bit) plastic-y; doesn't look like its in high demand. Uses the Pentax K-mount

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Ricoh_KR-30SP

Oh, there are some nice on-line resources for manuals, stats, etc. -- especially for the classic Big Boys (Nikon, Canon, Leica, Hasselblad, Rollei, ALPA, etc.)

Here's one of the most useful :)
    https://www.butkus.org/chinon/index.html

We're kind of Nikon fanbois in my family. Nikon made the (somewhat controversial) decision to maintain backwards compatibility with their superb legacy of "F" mount lenses when they developed their DSLRs. Canon, e.g., decided to enhance the capabilities of their DSLRs at the expense of compatibility (and, arguably, Canon has "won" the DSLR war, although both brands still have their adherents). ... but I admire the fact that a 50-plus year old Nikon lens will pop right on my DSLR and work well (if fully manually) :)

16540451946_02fa42b854_b.jpgDSC_3307mono by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The camera bodies by themselves can normally be found on Ebay for around $10 to $20 a piece. Price helps a lot if the original kit lens is included. The best of the bunch in terms of retaining value seems to be the Canon AE-1. Any lenses would likely be a better find than the camera bodies.

My best suggestion is to use them for education and hand a camera to a kid who's interested in the science behind capturing images to see if they can figure out how the settings work. Unfortunately, the expense of film and processing it would mean that it would cost more to actually use the cameras and see what's produced than they are worth in terms of dollars. A used digital SLR camera may be better for a kid to learn on.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    I agree about film being practically “elusive” anymore. I used to take mostly B&W photos but with the cost of film and processing (if you can find a decent outlet) it makes film cameras almost obsolete. Don’t get me wrong I would still love to take pics with mine (Canon A-1 w/lenses and such) but haven’t for quite a few years just because of the film issue...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • jdjohn
    Thanks for the replies. I was in camera club in HS, and took a B&W photography class in college as an elective. Good memories! I especially liked developing our own B&W photos.

With smartphones having such good cameras now, I'm afraid SLRs in general are going to be a thing of the past.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    SLR’s have their place and will stick around.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I was in camera club in HS, and took a B&W photography class in college as an elective. Good memories! I especially liked developing our own B&W photos.

With smartphones having such good cameras now, I'm afraid SLRs in general are going to be a thing of the past.

Apparently (according to an interview I heard on NPR a coupla days ago) it's kinda hard to do low light, long-exposure photography with even an iPhone. :p

The DSLRs (and their mirrorless kin) are pretty darned good for that -- as is film, albeit without the instant feedback on how well things turned out.

Took this on a clear, moonless night a few weeks back with the ol Nikon DSLR and a wide wide angle lens. B)

48621004898_c8b3c2c00a_b.jpgDSC_6464 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I posted that one before... so here's one I didn't (at least I don't think I did) :p

48621502327_13d7a86120_b.jpgDSC_6456 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • jdjohn
    Beautiful work, Mark B)

Hopefully, our next generations will have enough serious photography hobbyists to keep SLRs alive...at least DSLRs.
  • mhardy6647
    mirrorless are OK, too :)
    The breadth, depth and quality of glass available, vintage and new, should keep at least a dedicated hobbyist and pro market going for the foreseeable future (I would think).

• mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    One of my son's... umm... weirder... bits of glass. :*

vjeq1d23c5pz.jpg

yt2s3glfaw6a.jpg

His photos ... and he's got some other stovepipes, too.

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited September 2019
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Apparently (according to an interview I heard on NPR a coupla days ago) it's kinda hard to do low light, long-exposure photography with even an iPhone. :p

The DSLRs (and their mirrorless kin) are pretty darned good for that -- as is film, albeit without the instant feedback on how well things turned out.

Took this on a clear, moonless night a few weeks back with the ol Nikon DSLR and a wide wide angle lens. B)

48621004898_c8b3c2c00a_b.jpgDSC_6464 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I posted that one before... so here's one I didn't (at least I don't think I did) :p

48621502327_13d7a86120_b.jpgDSC_6456 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

@mhardy6647,

Superb photos.

It's great that you can still view the Milky Way up there in the north woods!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• mhardy6647
    We get some good nights -- but you can see the light we have to deal with from the prep school 'downtown' in the southern horizon in the second photo :/ They 'upgraded' lighting on and near their campus a few years back. Pretty sure their 'dark sky compatible' street lighting isn't compliant with even NH ("Live Free or Die, Sucka!") law... but so far there hasn't been a groundswell of complaints from the rabble. I've been thinking about complaining formally, but I need to 1) have good evidence and a well-reasoned (and not vitriolic/reactionary) argument. :)

• mhardy6647
    Back on topic (sort of) -- the photos above are nothing more than long exposures at high ISO (i.e., as high as my 'entry level' DSLR can do) on a tripod. I don't have a tracking equitorial mount so they're not compensated for the earth's rotation. I set the focus a little backed off from 'infinity' based on bitter experience :p I.e., they're hardly "pro-grade"... but they ain't bad for a tyro (IMO, of course). :)

x5xj0blvkpnj.png

The only 'processing' I did was to crop the image.

• jdjohn
    60 sec exposure...definitely a challenge. Did you use a cable release to trip the shutter, or set it on a timer? You must have had that tripod on a VERY solid surface.
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    60 sec exposure...definitely a challenge. Did you use a cable release to trip the shutter, or set it on a timer? You must have had that tripod on a VERY solid surface.

sorry to have dragged your thread off topic, @jdjohn! :#

So, actually, in this case, I simply used "Bulb" on the DSLR (a D5000); held it down and uttered the traditional mantra "one-one thousand, two-one thousand, three..."! :)
    I was off by 0.6 sec in 60 (i.e., error of 1/100; 10,000 ppm, or 1%)!

I do have a (very) good tripod -- not a pro-level tripod, but a nice Manfrotto.

The interesting fact of long exposure photography of still life subjects under very low light conditions is that small vibrations and motion have next to no effect on the image! The perturbations are so transient- that they aren't really recorded! On the other hand, the 'light' in the image (e.g., the stars) sort of integrates on the detector as time passes, so it appears (relatively) sharp. Issues with vibration would be more pronounced if there were more ambient light.

The "entry level" D5000 has a "B" setting, but no "T" (time exposure) setting. When I am taking serious low-light photos, e.g., at smaller f/stops and/or lower detector sensitivity (ISO), I have a nifty gizmo (gifted to me by my much-beloved son!) that plugs into the camera and operates like a smart cable release. It is a very cool and capable little gizmo, and is available for many/most modern digital camera bodies (I think).

http://www.phottix.com/en/phottixr-tr-90.html

0tasd0uxvpzi.png
  • mhardy6647
    so... one more interesting side-light :p to the low light/long exposure conundrum I mentioned above.

There is a famous, very early Daguerreotype photograph of a bustling :# Parisian boulevard on a bright, sunny day that illustrates this in extremis, so to speak.

iqowa6o0l1ma.png

https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/becoming-modern/early-photography/a/daguerre-paris-boulevard

It's mid day, but, other than two figures, the streets are empty?!

Naaaah, there are plenty of folks hustling by, but they move so fast relative to the very slow "speed" of the film emulsion that they're invisible against the fixed background. The exposure (according to the link above) took on the order of 10 to 15 minutes. The two folks we can see (someone getting a shoeshine) were torpid ;) enough to show up in the image!

:)

gsnaj633sdce.png
  • jdjohn
    Mark, I think we are still half on topic - SLR, but not of the 35mm variety :)

That is a nifty gadget for sure! Even hand-holding a cable release for a minute might induce a muscle cramp and/or cause anxiety since it is tethered to the apparatus.
  • mhardy6647
    I don't know that the electronic shutters (and shutter actuators) on any of the modern DSLRs/mirrorless "SLRs" have provisions for 'real' manual cable releases :p

FWIW, most (all?) of the good old-fashioned cable releases have "lock downs" of some sort (a threaded collar or setscrew) to hold them open -- thus adding the equivalent of a "T" (time exposure) setting on a camera that only offers "B" ('bulb' -- so called because, in the old, old days, a rubber bulb was used to open a camera lens shutter with air pressure). :)

My first good camera -- a mamiya/sekor 500TL*, had only a "B" setting on the shutter. I think I still have the cable release I bought for it ca. 1974 :)

15748713243_11b0e61e10_b.jpg500TL zap strap by Mark Hardy, on Flickr