Tales From the Dash Cam

This is a series I'd like to call Tales From the Dash Cam. Some instances may be minor, some major, or in between, but all dumbasses.

Our first contestant was in a turn lane and decided they'd actually rather continue straight, without using their blinker or really having enough room at the rate they wanted to accelerate. Pretty minor, still a dumbass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Nc_bX-19U
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Should be an interesting thread.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    There was a story circulating yesterday, advocated by AAA no less, that some traffic engineering studies have shown it's more efficient for drivers in a lane that's about to end to wait until the lane actually ends before doing a "zipper merge" with traffic in the continuing lane. I don't think they took human nature into account in their equations and they certainly did not study traffic incidents from Russian dash cams.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    If I had a dash cam, I could fill the thread up in a day.
    All turns from all lanes are the norm. And red lights are just a suggestion.
    So few around here have working tail lights, so who knows if they're signaling.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Paying off already
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    sucks2beme wrote: »

You live in Serbia?
  • A really great thread you started Nightfall!!!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    edited September 2019
    I have to drive a 3 mile stretch of straight road with a number of stop lights to get anywhere from my house. The traffic is very light. I rarely can make it all 3 miles without someone doing something stupid.

I've compiled below some tips to help prevent the general public from irking me: :)

When waiting at an intersection while the light is red, when the light turns green you should go immediately after looking to make sure the intersection is clear. No need to wait to go until the cranky guy behind you blares his horn and flips you the bird.

Left and right hand turn lanes are really long for a reason. When needing to turn left or right and there is a defined turn lane, there is no need to slow to 20 miles per hour a half mile prior to entering the turn lane.

If you are unable to drive the posted speed limit please move to the right so faster cars can proceed. Thanks Minnesota for making this a law now.

Stop f*^&ing texting while driving. Your weaving back and forth is making me dizzy. Again, thanks Minnesota for making texting illegal while driving, but it is still rampant.

No you should not stop all traffic to take a left or right turn from the through lane just because you forgot to get in the actual turn lane.

If you are trying to turn left or right on the main road and we are the only two cars in sight, you can wait that extra tenth of a second to turn in behind me instead of gunning it to barely get in front of me and making me slow down so I don't crash into the back of you.

If you want to move over a lane and I'm occupying the spot directly next you, don't do it cuz I'm not going to move no matter what!

• sucks2beme
    deronb1 wrote: »
    sucks2beme wrote: »

You live in Serbia?

Memphis. No car inspection, so anything that runs is out there.
    And apparently licenses are distributed via boxes of crakerjacks.
    I drive all over the area all day. Even police officers drive like idiots.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited September 2019
    Emlyn wrote: »
    There was a story circulating yesterday, advocated by AAA no less, that some traffic engineering studies have shown it's more efficient for drivers in a lane that's about to end to wait until the lane actually ends before doing a "zipper merge" with traffic in the continuing lane. I don't think they took human nature into account in their equations and they certainly did not study traffic incidents from Russian dash cams.

From a capacity and safety standpoint, that’s actually the best way to handle a lane reduction. Both lanes are legally open to the merge point. Drivers who take it upon themselves to ride tandem to slow traffic in the lane that’s about to close a mile ahead are essentially lengthening the lane closure by an additional mile - often times causing traffic to backup beyond the first advance warning sign. The number one type of work zone accident is a rear-end collision due to speed differential.

OK, Traffic Engineer hat off now... Yeah, it’s still frustrating when you decide to merge early and some yahoo flies by you and cuts in dangerously at the last minute.

In PA, we actually have signs well in advance of the merge that say “USE BOTH LANES TO MERGE POINT”, and more about a few hundred feet before the merge point that say “MERGE HERE, TAKE YOUR TURN”. It has definitely shortened the queues.
    Post edited by scubalab on
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176

Yep, it is more efficient from a flow of traffic point of view. But, as a result, you end up ticking everybody off that are patiently waiting in line! I've seen cars refuse to let these people in when trying to merge, sometimes causing pretty intense situations!

And then there are others, who take it upon themselves to block the other lane, seen semi trucks do it too! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    scubalab wrote: »

In PA, we actually have signs well in advance of the merge that say “USE BOTH LANES TO MERGE POINT”, and more about a few hundred feet before the merge point that say “MERGE HERE, TAKE YOUR TURN”. It has definitely shortened the queues.

Where?! 222N is a mess near Ephrata and I can't say I've ever seen a sign that says use both lanes...
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    There's a exit on 85 on my route which goes from 4 to 2 lanes. The signs start about 3 miles, right 2 lanes closed, merge left...

People are actually sitting in traffic, 3 miles deep in the far left 2 lanes. I blow by these people for quite literally 2.75 miles as it slowly goes from 4 to 3 to 2... It's been this way for weeks, maybe a month now. Google maps must think I fly a helicopter or something as that 15 minute delay is really like 30 seconds.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited September 2019
    Polkitup2 wrote: »
    If you are trying to turn left or right on the main road and we are the only two cars in sight, you can wait that extra tenth of a second to turn in behind me instead of gunning it to barely get in front of me and making me slow down so I don't crash into the back of you.

I feel the same. I don't mind if somebody pulls out in front of me as long as they're also willing to GET MOVING. If you're going to accelerate at a leisurely pace then just wait. You can see in the video that I slowed down about 6mph in the distance of the intersection to avoid hitting them, the entire scenario would have been (more) fine if they'd have pressed the gas pedal down a little harder.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Polkitup2 wrote: »
    I have to drive a 3 mile stretch of straight road with a number of stop lights to get anywhere from my house. The traffic is very light. I rarely can make it all 3 miles without someone doing something stupid.

I've compiled below some tips to help prevent the general public from irking me: :)

When waiting at an intersection while the light is red, when the light turns green you should go immediately after looking to make sure the intersection is clear. No need to wait to go until the cranky guy behind you blares his horn and flips you the bird.

Left and right hand turn lanes are really long for a reason. When needing to turn left or right and there is a defined turn lane, there is no need to slow to 20 miles per hour a half mile prior to entering the turn lane.

If you are unable to drive the posted speed limit please move to the right so faster cars can proceed. Thanks Minnesota for making this a law now.

Stop f*^&ing texting while driving. Your weaving back and forth is making me dizzy. Again, thanks Minnesota for making texting illegal while driving, but it is still rampant.

No you should not stop all traffic to take a left or right turn from the through lane just because you forgot to get in the actual turn lane.

If you want to move over a lane and I'm occupying the spot directly next you, don't do it cuz I'm not going to move no matter what!
    Whereabouts in Minnesota are you?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    So this thread made me look for dash cam videos on line! OMG! Lots of examples of folks that never should be allowed to drive! :smile:

That’s it! I’m trading in my Colorado company vehicle for an M1 Abrams tank! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Gotta feel for people that enjoy motorcycles.

• verb
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Gotta feel for people that enjoy motorcycles.

I’ve got 2 bikes! Always been hyper aware of the idiots out there!
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619

Whereabouts in Minnesota are you?

Twin Cities area - Inver Grove Heights
  • FestYboy
    verb wrote: »
    So this thread made me look for dash cam videos on line! OMG! Lots of examples of folks that never should be allowed to drive! :smile:

That’s it! I’m trading in my Colorado company vehicle for an M1 Abrams tank! :smile:

1500 HP and 60 tons of "get the **** outa' my way!!!”, or if you're feeling a little more passive, "come at me, bro!"
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    FestYboy wrote: »
    scubalab wrote: »

Where?! 222N is a mess near Ephrata and I can't say I've ever seen a sign that says use both lanes...

I-80 pretty much from Jersey to Ohio.

Here’s an example in State College that I use in the Work Zone classes I teach of where NOT to install it. This one was up about 150 feet AFTER the merge. If you merge here, you’ve already taken out some barricades!

7i0kslvz4il3.jpeg
  • FestYboy
    Lol. That explains a bit, as I don't get up that way too often.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    This guy almost bought the farm... was a couple months ago in a rental tractor, saw the donor coming up and was moving out of the right tire groove of his lane to the left. I thought he was changing lanes but obviously he was setting up his diagonal slice across my nose.

https://youtu.be/LlMwQARzB3w
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Whoa! Almost a grease stain there.
  • Intensive care nurse neighbor of mine calls them donor cycles. What a moron.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    This was my 1st dashcam, returned it because the internal mic was loose and tapping the camera inside, evident in the audio.

Pulling doubles, once the road curved back to the right, I couldn't see past my lead trailer. There was no left lane, only a jersey wall and a brief construction entrance. He came flying up behind me and stayed there on the ramp..until his decisive moment.

This one was close, he had maybe 2 feet at the cab.

https://youtu.be/1gO2UAKKEw4
  • sucks2beme
  • 4 times rear ended by distracted drivers here. I won't mention my opinion of distracted drivers.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    charley95 wrote: »
    4 times rear ended by distracted drivers here. I won't mention my opinion of distracted drivers.

4 times ?? I'd say your lucky rabbits foot has worn out pal. Geez man, rear ended 4 times you should have neck and back problems and a hefty lawsuit in the works.

Driving with my daughter one day, she picks up her phone to check her texts. Then proceeds to text back. Tell her to put the darn thing down and pay attention, nothing is more important than getting to where your going....alive.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Fortunately, none of them were major collisions. DUI penalties are needed for distracted drivers. Just last month a woman in my community killed a man veering in his lane checking her Facebook.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I hear ya man. New technology for cars now has the ability to check emails now. Nothing distracting about that is there. People want to turn their cars into satellite offices while driving.

Pretty soon we'll have a wireless printer in a car, coffee maker, and a 3d visual of your boss keeping an eye on you threw the pop up display on the windshield.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable