Is a Parasound 1200ii (or HCA 1500) Direct Coupled??

Forgive my ignorance, but I own a Parasound 1200II (updated version of the HCA 1500), and someone is asking me if it is a "direct coupled" amp? They want to use it with a Preamp that apparently can't be used with a direct coupled amp.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I don't know, but I would imagine so. Direct coupled usually means no DC blocking devices (e.g., transformers or, more usually, capacitors) in the signal path.

Most "modern" (since the early 1970s) solid state amplifiers are direct coupled, using 'complementary' circuitry with dual rail (positive and negative) power supplies.

A preamp that says not to be used with a direct coupled amp presumably has some DC offset riding on its output signal. A direct coupled amp would (or at least could) duly amplify that DC, which could destroy a loudspeaker if not blocked somewhere prior to the output.

Not a good thing. :o
  • imsjry
    imsjry Posts: 120
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I don't know, but I would imagine so. Direct coupled usually means no DC blocking devices (e.g., transformers or, more usually, capacitors) in the signal path.

Most "modern" (since the early 1970s) solid state amplifiers are direct coupled, using 'complementary' circuitry with dual rail (positive and negative) power supplies.

A preamp that says not to be used with a direct coupled amp presumably has some DC offset riding on its output signal. A direct coupled amp would (or at least could) duly amplify that DC, which could destroy a loudspeaker if not blocked somewhere prior to the output.

Not a good thing. :o

Thanks. This is helpful. What makes no sense to me now is if most modern amps are direct coupled, why would there ever be a Preamp designed this way since it's whole job is to integrate with the amp, right?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Is it an older pre amp ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables