The Polk Legend Series is coming

Comments

• monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Totally enjoyed the energy and excitement.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2019
    Wished there was a bit more during the live-stream but Stu and crew were nice to see. Love the interview w/Stu and revisiting the design labs in Polk HQ.

I've always said the only thing that would make me move from my SDA's...is a better SDA. And, welp, it happened.

Realistically, there are 3 contenders in the running for me, however, it's a year or more out, IF it happens.
    1. Acoustic Zen Crescendo mkII: Listened to at Munich High End in '16, still haunts me
    2. PS Audio AN series under development
    3. Polk Audio L800
    Pretty sure I'm going to attend RMAF next year. Presumably, will be able to see/hear the Polk L800's at the show and/or a Denver dealer. Same goes for PS Audio and visiting their HQ in Boulder.

L800's, new, and the Crescendo's, used, are in the same price range. AN-2 will most likely be around $15-20K. PSA would have to be a huge leap for me to even consider. Really hoping the L800's "blow my sack back" (Trade Marked--@tonyb).

Way to go Polk...Stu and crew. Had the pleasure of meeting Stu at Polkfest 2012 and hanging out at his house. What a magnificent exit for Stu as the last of the old Polk guard! Bravo!!
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited September 2019
    Looks like I will have to make a road trip to ABT electronics in Glenview Illinois to audition the L800s come thier release date in November. That's the closest to me.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Bummer the SDA tech didn’t filter down the line. To me it’s the only compelling thing about these speakers that would warrant an upgrade, and at $6k a par might as well be unobtanium.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Bummer the SDA tech didn’t filter down the line. To me it’s the only compelling thing about these speakers that would warrant an upgrade, and at $6k a par might as well be unobtanium.

Ya never know! If the flagships take off, there's money to be made! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,163
    edited September 2019
    verb wrote: »
    Very nice! :) Thanks for sharing that Mike!

k66tj5a7jehe.png

I love the look of these these with the grills on.

These are big and wide speakers that will take up a pretty good footprint and I am curious if, like other SDAs, they will need a good bit of space from the side and rear walls and also between the speakers themselves.

I cannot wait until people can start getting ears on them and sharing how well they sound. I would have thought that Polk would have made these available immediately after the reveal, to build on the hype, rather than having prospective customers wait almost 2 months from the reveal date until the date of release. Is that a common way of doing things in the audio world?

• verb
    I can only speculate, but in my biz (automotive) there are a lot of activities happening simultaneously. Marketing, trying to generate buzz and hype, while engineering is still solving technical issues, and manufacturing gearing up for production.

The goal is to have full production up and running, and available for sale, at the time of maximum hype and demand.

Since these guys are made in China, it also takes some time via cargo ship to get here as well (~ 6 weeks on average). So IMO it seems about right.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,893
    verb wrote: »
    Since these guys are made in China, it also takes some time via cargo ship to get here as well (~ 6 weeks on average). So IMO it seems about right.
    A lot of good stuff is designed in the U.S.A. and made in China (iPhones, iPads etc.). Good design and affordable manufacturing with flawless QC is an interesting combination... but tariffs cometh... hopefully, this will not be an impediment to the success of such a great revival statement.

Alea jacta est!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Tariffs will be over by the end of the year...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,893
    Tariffs will be over by the end of the year...
    From your 💋 to ... God’s👂... if only for the health of my ongoing investments! 😂
    Alea jacta est!
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    pglbook wrote: »
    I would have thought that Polk would have made these available immediately after the reveal, to build on the hype, rather than having prospective customers wait almost 2 months from the reveal date until the date of release. Is that a common way of doing things in the audio world?
    What's common is an announcement at CES at the beginning of the year and no product available until the 3rd -4th quarter of the year. Two months is nothing, IMO.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • verb
    edited September 2019
    Another snippet from Mark Henninger at AVS Forum (post #57):

"I sincerely feel that at $6K per pair the Polk Legend L800 towers are the best value true high-end flagship tower speakers at RMAF 2019.

After-show listening to tracks of my choosing cemented it... The imaging these speakers are capable of is mind-blowing, easily putting sounds way far outside their physical separation. Blaze Mountain from Sounds from the Ground's new album Binary had sounds that seemed to literally be to my sides, that's how far the panoramic imaging stretched! But the speakers themselves are conventionally positioned.

Nothing else I heard here imaged like these."
    pvxw5h4adgkx.png
    https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-channel-audio/3089080-rocky-mountain-audio-fest-2019-pictures-impressions-2.html
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Bummer the SDA tech didn’t filter down the line. To me it’s the only compelling thing about these speakers that would warrant an upgrade, and at $6k a par might as well be unobtanium.

heh -- SDA... filter.
    I see what you did there.

B)
  • nooshinjohn
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    This is fantastic. Hope I can get my ears on a pair of the big boys. Can't believe it actually happened. The (re)introduction of SDA to today's market should be fun to watch.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • verb
  • verb
    Another cool illustration! :)
    yjoljm6yrcs4.png
  • nooshinjohn
    edited September 2019

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited September 2019
    I like the base in Figure 6A and 6B much better than the end result, which I find very odd....even ugly.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Figure 6A and 6B look to be an RTA configuration... And closer to the prototype that I saw (there was no push out for the tweeters and mids as you see in the L800).
  • verb
    Yeah I'm reading through it now. Looks like the single tweeter version was an early prototype.
  • verb
    Interesting, the patent was filed on June 18th, 2019! So, the information was out there! :)
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The patent gives a full explanation of the objectives of the new SDA-Pro design, and the compromises inherent in previous iterations of SDA in speakers. Especially shows the specific goals of the new design and why it's different from the old (very important for showing why it's a new invention that is patent worthy) including why it has two tweeters per cabinet successfully deployed now for a broader frequency range for SDA. The patent does call SDA-Pro a set of effects though. Should be patent covered for another 20 years now. :)
  • verb
    Emlyn wrote: »
    The patent gives a full explanation of the objectives of the new SDA-Pro design, and the compromises inherent in previous iterations of SDA in speakers. Especially shows the specific goals of the new design and why it's different from the old (very important for showing why it's a new invention that is patent worthy) including why it has two tweeters per cabinet successfully deployed now for a broader frequency range for SDA. The patent does call SDA-Pro a set of effects though. Should be patent covered for another 20 years now. :)

Yeah it was very interesting to read the references to the original dual tweeter design, and the limitations. Very cool history.

Looks like the new approach overcomes that! In addition to the broader frequency range, they claim a larger sweet spot! :)
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    I thought I heard Stu explain in one of the vids I watched that the SDA signal actually moves into the tweeter and they found it to further enhance the technology. The entire frequency range of the tweeter is not "SDA'ed", just a portion in the upper midrange it handles.

If sales are brisk enough, I can see them producing a model with a single woofer and adjusting cabinet size accordingly.
    No excuses!
  • verb
    edited September 2019
    Some interesting comments in there about placement. This image shows that the stereo drivers are to aimed right at the listening spot!

k3jj1n9e8uaa.jpg

• Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited September 2019
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    FTGV wrote: »
    The re-introduction of the dimensional tweeter is also interesting. I understand the use of the tweets in 1st gen SDA's caused some undesirable artifacts.
    Ok the complete crossover schematic is in the patent. They are actually not running the dimensional tweeter full bandwidth like the stereo array tweet. The crossover for the dimensional array is identical to the stereo array with the exception of an extra paralleled inductor/resistor combo that serves to gradually roll off the top end of the dimensional tweeter.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited September 2019
    Interesting that we've essentially extrapolated these SDA limitations without seeing it on paper.
    Also interesting, the angled tweeter baffle is forward of the woofers.
    Post edited by westmassguy on
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/