ceiling speakers for surround sound

snookking
snookking Posts: 18
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
I just purchased two pairs of RC80i's ceiling speakers for my surround speakers. One pair to go on my outside patio for listening at the pool. Are these speakers a good selection for my surround choice. I am going to purhase the RTi70's for my front and a csi 40 for my center channel and a Klipsh KSW-10 for the subwoofer. Any suggestions would be apreciated.
If your not snook fishing, then your not fishing at all.
Post edited by snookking on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    i prefer dipole speakers for surrounds in an HT set-up, or even direct radiating over in-wall/ceiling speakers, but that is just my personal preference. if your room conditions don't allow and you want a clean look, i think you will still be happy, it's just not to optimal sonic performer IMO. anyway, with that said, welcome to the forum...:D

BTW, what are you running for fronts and center now?
  • snookking
    edited April 2002
    Not using anything right now. In the process of building my dream house and want a clean look that is why I went for the ceiling speakers, they have a tweeter that is ajustable to direct at the couch or sitting area which should help with the sound quality. 6 mos. and I should be in and can't wait to hear my system. I am in the process of buying all of my electronics now to have no exta expenses then.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    good luck with it, and be sure to post some pics. of it when it's completed! if you are still in the design/layout phase of the HT room and have any questions, you might want to direct them to mantis, he does this stuff for a living...

what are you thinking for rec./dvd/tv, etc.?
  • snookking
    edited April 2002
    My HT will have a Denon AVR-1802 receiver (already bought) and I have a Toshisba sdk700 DVD player , and am shopping around for some Polk Audio RTi 70's for the fronts. I believe they are the ones replacing the 800's. Also plan to buy a csi 40 for the center channel and a velodyne HT150 subwoofer. Not sure if I need a amp., I am not familiar with them. Possibly a second sub, but I believe one large one should do the job. Also the RC80i's for the surround above the couch for the clean look. Thinking of running the sub wires in the walls so not to have wires running the baseboard. having them exit on the sides somewhat across from the couch.
  • snookking
    edited April 2002
    Almost forgot, I am getting a High definition 62 or 65 in big screen. Not sure what brand, probably Hitachi or Mitsubishi. got to be theather view. 16:9 wide view.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2002
    be carfull where you install the speaker's in the ceiling, you can end up with terrifing result's.When your getting ready to go for placement,I can help.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    Mantis: Good job offering assistance.

I don't have much experience with in ceiling speakers, but with Mantis's help and the directional tweeters it should sound great.

My only thought is on your subwoofer choice. While I won't attack Klipsch, I think their are other(better) choices in this price bracket. I picked up a discontinued Yamaha YST-160 for $199. It's a little easier to hide than a cube. I also like it much more that anything in this price range. It won't hit you in the chest, but it does the job quite well.

Considering your video choices, I'll assume HT is pretty important. I feel that a good subwoofer (better than mine) is key to a good HT set-up. If you want "in the chest bass" work with your builders. You might be able to sneak in an unobtrusive sub that rules.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    the ksw10 isn't a bad sub, if you got a really good deal on one thats cool.If it work's for you.
    It's tempermental and hard to set up.
    Dan
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by mantis
    the ksw10 isn't a bad sub, if you got a really good deal on one thats cool.If it work's for you.
    It's tempermental and hard to set up.

I agree, I had one before, I have to sell it(I bought it from Sound City for $199 and sell it at $225), extremely difficult to set up, take a lot of time to fine tune, not a powerfull sub either, stay away from it if you can....
  • snookking
    edited April 2002
    Thanks Mantis for your reply and what should I do for the best placement of the ceiling speakers. I was going to run the cable before they put up the drywall figuring that was the easiest way. Should I wait till the furniture is in before I install the speakers. Let me know what the best way is. The walls are going up today and in and a few months I should be ready.
    What is your opinion of the Velodyne HT150 subwoofer, I thinking of going that route now.
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    run the wires slighty behind the sitting area.They can be inline with the main's.when you install the speaker's pivit the tewwter's firing at the back wall away from the seating area.
    This is a good starting point for the tweeter's.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    running the wires after the drywall makes it harder, not to mention you have to cut the drywall in order to drill the header out.
    Dan
  • snookking
    edited April 2002
    Hey Mantis I don't have a back wall, it open leading into the dining area. Should the tweeters be directed at the side walls or the the couch?
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    No back wall...ok
    Fire them at the side wall's.It will open the sound, then try different point's and play, but the side wall will most likely be the best.
    Dan
  • snookking
    edited April 2002
    Thanks to everyone for the information, it sure will help when the time comes.:)
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    you are welcome.
    Dan