What amp should i run help please...

KSD009
KSD009 Posts: 33
So back in the day i built my parents a home theatre set up. They never use the home theatre set up. So i have it now.
So for the amp i have is a Harman/Kardon AVR 630. I know this is under powering my set up. So what i have for speakers are:
FRONT TOWERS:
Polk Audio RTI12
CENTRE SPEAKER:
Polk Audio CSI5
REAR SPEAKERS:
Polk Audio RTI6
SUBWOOFER:
Velodyne CHT 12

So i have been trying to figure out how to get the max power out of these speakers. I have been look at power amp to hook up to the amp i all ready have or just a new amp. I will be using the set up for music and to watch movies. I want to get the max power i can with out blowing the bank account. So i’m looking to spend up to 2k ish.
Thank for the help.

Best Answers

Answers

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    A Denon AVR-X3500 or Marantz SR6013 from A4L https://www.accessories4less.com/

then an Outlaw 5000 https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/5000.html
    or
    Monoprice Monolith 5 https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15593
    Or

Emotiva XPA5 https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/xpa-5-gen3

RTi12 are a hard speaker to drive on an AVR alone.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • KSD009
    Hello first i would like to say thank you for the info.
    Question if i’m going to run a power amp why not keep the old HK 630 amp ?
    Also with the power amp what out put would you go with just a 2ch driven or 5ch driven ?

Once again thx
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Just a friendly correction, an AVR is not generally referred to as an amp, just an AVR. There's a difference between an AVR, integrated amp, receiver, and amp.

As to what amp how often do you sit and listen to regular two channel music vs how often do you use it for TV/movies/video games?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • KSD009
    I would be using it more for tv and movies. But that being said when i am listening to music i want it to pound. Get as close to max performance in both mods.

Thx for the help.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    You have an Audio Video Receiver not an amplifier. Yours has pre outs, but it doesn't have HDMI, which you'll need, so get a new AVR making sure it has pre outs.

As for adding an amplifier I suggest you look at a warmer sounding one to help tame your inherently bright speakers. Marantz or Parasound would be a good choice. A 3 or 5 channel amplifier would be best as the front 3 are the most important.
    So i have been trying to figure out how to get the max power out of these speakers.

Speakers do not put out power.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• KSD009
    Thx yes speakers don’t put out power. I missed spoke.
    On the power amp how meany watts per ch should i be looking at

Thx
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited August 2019
    Whatever your wallet can afford, but keep in mind that watts per channel is only part of what counts and it's not the most important one, high current is more important. If an amplifier doubles or comes close to doubling in power from its 8 ohm rating to its 4 ohm rating it is a good sign that it's a high current amplifier.

This would be a good choice. https://www.parasound.com/a31.php
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• KSD009
    So if you were in my shoes what would you get ?
    For receiver ?
    Power amp?
    If i’m going to replace my receiver. Too j would be around the 2500 mark.
  • KSD009
    edited August 2019
    Thx for the info 👍🏽
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Suggestions will be all over the place. Also new or used, as used would open up many more possibilities.

F1NUT's suggestions are spot on with those speakers. Also, leave some room for good cabling in your budget, it does make a difference.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    With a $2500 budget I think even a used Parasound might be a stretch.

The Marantz or denon would be good as a pre + amp would not be able to fit in the OP's budget. Thing to watch out for on the Marantz is that darn porthole display, drove me nuts over time.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    KSD009 wrote: »
    I would be using it more for tv and movies. But that being said when i am listening to music i want it to pound. Get as close to max performance in both mods.

Thx for the help.

Welcome to Club Polk. I checked out your HK, It doesn't have all the latest and greatest codecs and no HDMI, but it does have preouts. So if you want you can hook it up with ICs, and just get a 5 channel amp. All of Loren's recommendations are good.

I would personally go for a new receiver ( I'm partial to Marantz) and then get a separate amplifier to power the speakers. I always suggest a min of 200wpc at 8ohms. This is enough to ensure all of your speakers can operate to their full potential.

Keep us updated on what you ultimately decide.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I always suggest a min of 200wpc at 8ohms. This is enough to ensure all of your speakers can operate to their full potential.

Hahah, here we go again with the "minimum of 200wpc" mumbo jumbo.
  • KSD009
    Hello thank for all the info.
    From the comment before I know what i have is an avr receiver.
    For cables im using monster pro cables for everything.
    I agree time to change out the receiver.

So here are a few more question:
    Would you just go with a 5ch not a 7ch power amp for future upgradeability? Is there even a point to 7.1 ?

200 wats per channel will be enough to power everything else but is that enough power to make the RTI 12 pound ? Get max performance out of them ?
    Also when choosing am should i take i to consideration like the DB? What OMS it will run at ? How big the power supply is ?

Do power amp connection with an in put for subs ?

When using a power amp thats whats powering the speakers? Meaning you cant us the receiver and amp to power the speakers?

Thank guys.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    “Warmer sounding amplifier” - :D. Could you please elaborate? Engineers wince whenever it is suggested that an amplifier has a "signature sound" because it suggests coloration, which is directly antithetical to everything Hi-Fi has stood for since the very beginning.

To suggest that one sounds different from the other means that one or the other is coloring the signal (or even both). The guiding principle of any brand has always been firmly grounded in NO coloration. Coloration is measured as DISTORTION. When an amplifier is spec @ x watts 20-20,000 hz with no more than y% THD, it either performs to that spec or it does not. Pure and simple. If one performs and sounds different than another, either it’s out of spec and needs service or they’re LYING about their performance specs!

If you don’t like the sound, add acoustic dampening on your walls, get an equalizer, or change your speakers.

You should change your username to "Fear Inoculum" because you are the new TOOL.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    LOL. Good one, but insulting to Tool. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    S
    ...To suggest that one sounds different from the other means that one or the other is coloring the signal (or even both). The guiding principle of any brand has always been firmly grounded in NO coloration. Coloration is measured as DISTORTION...

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but EVERY amplifier “colors” the sound to a certain degree. Further, just because it is technically distortion does not mean it is not pleasing to the ear.

Sounds like you need to listen to a few more amplifiers in quality systems, and it will become apparent.

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• KSD009
    Cant we all just get along lol. All i want is for my house to shake when i’m watching a movie or playing music. Thank you come again.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Better a tool than fool. I’m still waiting for an answer from F1nut :)

But you're JoJo. You can see into the future. :o

xp5lwbqn8s2s.jpg
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited August 2019
    Cant we all just get along lol. All i want is for my house to shake when i’m watching a movie or playing music. Thank you come again.

Then you need to spend at least $20K.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • KSD009
    Ok maybe so but these still can pound. So i want to Get the max performance out if these girls. :)
  • KSD009
    I will pick up one of the avr you guys Suggested. But i’m not still sure on the amp.

Also does polk have better tower speakers out now ?
  • KSD009
    What does colors mean ?
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    What does colors mean ?

Usually the addition or subtraction of harmonics to the original signal based on the amp's architecture.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    With the possible exception of second harmonic distortion from a single ended
    amplifier, I don't think it's harmonic distortion that's responsible for warmth vs. not warmth of an amplifier's sound.

This said, I am not sure what the root cause is -- I don't think anyone is, else all amplifiers probably would sound about the same.

My assessment isn't that such things aren't measurable; just that we don't know what to measure.

D. R. von Recklinghausen figured that out way before me, though :)
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, -- it is bad. If it sounds good and measures bad, -- you've measured the wrong thing."
    http://hhscott.com/vonrecklinghausen.htm