Favorite Country music artist/band?

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited August 2019
    someone say Wrecking Ball?

anw1e1isdbcd.png

:)

Emmylou's early albums were unabashedly country. She made one pretty much hardcore bluegrass album, too.

gvla8mixk6tz.png

... but my favorite Emmylou album is this one, which was/is decidedly non-country.

3ca777i4epxn.png

Bonus: she's an absolutely, timelessly beautiful woman.

ixm78uq4kjdh.png

54wz1kfa28ae.png

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Bruce in my opinion, these are the best of TODAY'S country music artists (some rock if you please)! I've seen them all in concert, and Eric Church is at the top of the list.

Eric Church
    https://youtu.be/4xym_XCfcnI

Jake Owen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDOm4MvZqfg

Brothers Osburne
    https://youtu.be/E5RDEXpc8OY

Dierks Bentley
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Chris Stapleton, and Eric Church have been my favorites for awhile now..
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Johnny Cash, no contest.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Toolfan66
    Anyone saying modern country $uc/<$ isn’t looking deep enough, lots of great performers out there..

https://youtu.be/qsrsrOB0zNQ

Sorry but this doesn’t $uc/<...
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    No music sucks, it's just not your taste.
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • My latest favorite is Midland. They just remind me of a little older country, but with a new band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBCrkFB8nvc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbbNuvEDDJM
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • Toolfan66
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Johnny Cash, no contest.

As I can agree, it's hard not to think of Waylon, Willie, and Merle as well.. Throw in a little Steve Earle too..
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Johnny Cash was really, really, really good.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Johnny Cash was really, really, really good.

And so is his daughter - Roseanne Cash (wonderful voice)

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Another overlooked artist is Juice Newton.

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Good suggestions. I have Amazon music unlimited and listened to both Eric Church and Sturgill Simpson. Both are great. Thanks for the recommendations.

And yes, there are some great acts out there today, but seems like you have to do a lot more sifting through stuff to find good ones. When I listen to the country station a lot of it just seems all the same.

I value the posts above as they help me find artists I wouldn't otherwise listen to. I've heard of Eric Church, but never really gave him a listen. Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited August 2019
    Billy Joe Shaver and Ray Wylie Hubbard, quiet possibly the best songwriters ever to put pen to paper.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I gots me a ton of Blackberrysmoke, Is that Country? Thanks to @gudnoyez for turning me on to it. I'm lovin it, not like McDonald's, I hate that ****.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    No love for Vince Gill on this entire thread? None of you are my favorite people right now.

Pffft.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Or Travis Tritt? WTF?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited January 2020
    https://youtu.be/88lEWTEk3jg

Somebody mention Blackberry Smoke B)
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • afterburnt
    treitz3 wrote: »
    No love for Vince Gill on this entire thread? None of you are my favorite people right now.

Pffft.

Tom

Already got some Vince before I started this thread, won't hurt to get more.
    But is it art, I mean Country lol?
  • afterburnt
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Or Travis Tritt? WTF?

LinK?
  • afterburnt
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/88lEWTEk3jg

Somebody mention Blackberry Smoke B)

Steve, these guys kill! I need to go see em and I am no longer into concerts, too many people lol.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited January 2020
    Or Travis Tritt? WTF?

LinK?

Geez...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX1pYKI9zOY
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited January 2020
    https://youtu.be/Bzey-oLVhpI
    Somebody mention Billy Joe Shaver B)
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • afterburnt
    Or Travis Tritt? WTF?

LinK?

Geez...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX1pYKI9zOY

Gat Dang, good stuff Maynard!
  • treitz3
    Me thinks that THE Vince Gill album to have (if one was starting out) would be "When Love Finds You".

There are certain parts of that album that I listen to when evaluating gear or when I'd just like to hear what another person's rig is capable of. His voice is very unique and the recording just on standard RB is perhaps, not top notch....but it ain't too far off.

The album starts off with "Whenever you come around". This song will test the texture of the bass guitar and on a full range system, will fill the room with wonderfully glorious bass that should not be overwhelming, just bliss. It will expose any congestion your system has in a heartbeat during certain busy transients when he is singing and the song? Well, the song is absolutely wonderful to listen too. Even if you are not a Country fan.

"Which Bridge to Cross" has harmonies that (to me) are just a slice of heaven here on Earth, although some other aspects of the album are the same way.

The album ends with one song that is near and dear to me. It was played at #3 Sr's funeral. If you didn't know, the #3 in my moniker is in memorium of Dale Earnhardt. "Go rest High on that Mountain" is the name of the song. This is the song where, when I evaluated those 24K speakers, the song started and I was wondering where the music was.

This song will test the resolution of your rig. As the music starts (the piano), there are chimes that flow from one end of the sound stage to the other in non-repeating patterns and they go well outside of the speakers them self. They do continue throughout much of the song but are hidden on most systems and only are readily apparent during the lowest of passages.

At 2 minutes and 19 seconds into the song when he sings the words in the title track, "Go rest High", there is a busy passage right after soft brushes on a high hat cymbal. Many systems fail and congestion within the system is picked up easily. Why, I do not know but it should be crystal clear with distinctive authority on the bass, kick drum and vocals along with all other instruments with zero blending of the perceived imaging or spatial locationality cues from the sound stage. The bass alone should fill the room with reverb at higher levels without overponderance.

The rest of the album is kind of like an Eagles album with just a "hint" of Country" None of that twangy crap most non Country fans do not like. It would be a good introduction into Country, if you are not a fan.

Then there is Randy Travis. Has he been mentioned yet?

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    Check out Shovels and Rope. They toured with Tedeschi Trucks Band and Blackberry Smoke this past summer, fantastic show!
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • Toolfan66
    edited January 2020
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    The Wood Brothers are a new 'country' find for me.
    https://youtu.be/3U0arXdrvlE
    Kind of a folk, blues, country, Americana blend.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • treitz3 wrote: »

Pffft.

Tom

Hey, I am a Vince Gill fan. I have one CD ("Pocket Full of Gold"). I saw him live at the Fayetteville GA amphitheater a few years ago. Now, I want the one you described above - "When Love Finds You". It's fun when someone describes the parts of a song as you did that drive your mind crazy.

Vince Gill is also great on the Cross Roads DVD from Wrigley Field in 2010. I was walking through Best Buy several years ago and it was playing in the Magnolia area. I sat down and listened for 30 minutes while Vince Gill was singing, playing the guitar, and talking with other great artists. Immediately bought the DVD.

Lots of great artists on that DVD. I became a Keb'Mo' fan after seeing him, and later learned Vince Gill was responsible for Keb's first appearance at the Grand Ole Opry.

Speaking of Vince Gill, looking forward to seeing him with the EAGLES on February 8 at State Farm Arena in Atlanta. Vince Gill deserves the role he is playing with them plus the money. We are staying at the Embassy Suites nearby so adult beverages can be enjoyed before, during, and afterwards without worrying about driving home to Marietta.

One of my favorite "subtle" songs that has a lot of innuendos in the lyrics and the music to support is "Dark Side" by Eric Church. We all have one and but don't know what it will do. Some of us have seen it a time or two.

Start of the song:
    Over there in the shadows, hangin' out in the corner of my mind
    Stringing up the gallows, waiting for me to cross that line

That man's dangerous as hell, a threat to himself,
    If he got out there'd be hell to pay.

And that's why, my dark side, don't ever see the light of day.

https://youtu.be/BMrod4b2pp4

Harry / Marietta GA
  • treitz3
    Speaking of Vince Gill, looking forward to seeing him with the EAGLES on February 8 at State Farm Arena in Atlanta. We are staying at the Embassy Suites nearby so adult beverages can be enjoyed before, during, and afterwards without worrying about driving home to Marietta.
    Now that sounds like you are going to have some fun! Enjoy.

Tom