Some pictures

Options
Nabman
Nabman Posts: 33
edited August 2019 in Vintage Speakers
Some random picture of a restoration/update job I did last summer on a newly acquired RTA 11T and my existing Monitor 5 II: cabinet restoration, recapping, magnet reinforcement. As you can tell from the pictures, I'm not a perfectionist....but they sound amazing and what matters is that I enjoy the music. Love Polk Audio!0gbwm5xftqcl.jpg
bsqtiyk63l2x.jpg
tlccsybr4syl.jpg
tujgl6ovl8ca.jpg
qjyqjevmnsgs.jpg
Monitor 5 Series II
RTA 11T
Post edited by Nabman on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    I've got to ask, what is all that stuff on the driver?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    That is not how you reinforce the magnet on a driver...
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    Options
    Those cabinets look like they may need Hurricane Nuts or rings to hold those drivers in place better. The screw holes look alittle worn/striped.. When you put everything back in caninet- do a air check to see if cabinet is air tight.... Helpful Tip = I put a small bead around each side of my magnet & smoothed it out nicely with my finger tip. I use those throw away gloves & bounty in other hand. Comes out nice & clean IMO. Enjoy your project & enjoy your music
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    Options
    If you ever decide to upgrade those tweeters with Drop In replacements you will thank yourself. Well worth the $$ if your gonna keep em... Were all those drivers original ? Got some nice clean ones there
    Randy/Maine
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    I am suddenly reminded of that day in 1974 in Home Ec class where we frosted the cake we had just baked.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Hey @Nabman first of all welcome to CP! Not sure if you’ve been welcomed, as you’ve joined a while ago. So there it is, Welcome!

I admire your willingness to jump in and refurbish those speakers! If they sound great, better than before, that’s what matters most!

Yeah, as you state, not a perfectionist, as there are many here who are!

What I like about CP is there is a lot of advice, and folks here willing to help, as you travel along your journey!

Glad you like em, and are happy with the results!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Nabman
    Options
    @F1nut : it's construction glue.
    @boston1450 : screws fit tight; air tightness tested ok. All originals. Not thinking of replacing tweeters...can't hear much high-end at my age anyway :-)
    @Viking64 : lol...I know, but it does the job.
    @verb : thanks for welcoming me and to everyone in this great forum.

Monitor 5 Series II
    RTA 11T
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    edited August 2019
    Options
    The... umm... shotcoming of the tweeters you have is, unfortunately, audible even to those of us with elderly ears :/

The replacement tweeters aren't inexpensive, but they would be a good investment that would probably yield marked improvement -- even for an old guy with battered hearing! ;) I can understand your reticence to invest in them, but I compelled to mention this.

PS Your cabinet repair techniques are (and don't tell anyone I admitted this ;) ) on par with my typical workmanship -- in case that makes you feel any better. :p

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Welcome Nabman!
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

PS Your cabinet repair techniques are (and don't tell anyone I admitted this ;) ) on par with my typical workmanship -- in case that makes you feel any better. :p

I feel better! Thanks Mark! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Nabman
    Options
    @mhardy6647 : lol. Here are a couple of pics of the 'finifshed product'. It's a basement system, so looks don't matter that much.63z9tymygyy4.jpg
    04ozsp8e9da6.jpg
    Monitor 5 Series II
    RTA 11T
  • Nabman
    Options
    On a different note, there's a 1.5 cm scratch on one of the dustcaps. Not clear if it's cut through and I don't want to push on it to find out. I was thinking of smearing some contact glue over it (or mortar silicon). Any better suggestion?
    Monitor 5 Series II
    RTA 11T
  • Nabman
    Options
    9bkhnfld462k.jpg
    Monitor 5 Series II
    RTA 11T
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited August 2019
    Options
    dustcaps are a mesh fabric and that will not matter leave it alone. If you shine a flashlight at the dustcaps you should be able to almost see through it.

On the glue job, OH Boy.... we also do on top of the magnet to help hold that piece in place as well.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Nabman wrote: »
    @F1nut : it's construction glue.

Ok, well you put it in the wrong place and used way too much. You run a thin bead around the top and bottom of the plates that sandwich the magnet.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    Looks like they will work fine, even if not a perfectionist job.

The particle board is not the greatest stuff on some of the older 80's stuff, our Rta11's had stuff crumbling around the edges just from normal moving around and use, never dropped.
  • Nabman
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on the magnet. I thought it's the plate touching the frame that's prone to moving (and not the other parts of the magnet sandwitch). Will add glue to the other part.
    I bought them damaged like that, but luckily the interiors and drivers were in good shape. No complaints having paid only CAD$100 for them.
    That's work was done last year. They work fine and sound great paired with a 70W amp. And the cabinets are not as bad as the pictures show. The phone camera and flash are a toy...too lazy to use my SLR and softbox ;-)
    Monitor 5 Series II
    RTA 11T