Help: insulation for in-wall speakers

Hi there, I've installed 2x 265-ls and a center 255c-ls around my TV and really like the sound.
Now the problem is that I live in a townhouse and my neighbors are complaining about the sound... The speakers are installed into a shared wall and I'm trying to figure out what to do.

A little background on the wall structure:
- Drywall on my side
- Pink insulation
- Particle board
- Pink Insulation
- Drywall on the side of my neighbors

A few options I'm considering:
- Build a small backer box. I don't want to take the wall apart, so I would be making a smaller box than the one Polk used to sell for these speakers.
- Add insulation materials to the particle board. I'm not sure what materials to use though. I have some left over blackhole and Dynamat. Would any of these help? Is there another material that would be better?
- Crossover the sub a little higher (it's at 80Hz, maybe go to 120Hz), but I don't think that will solve the problem.

Does anyone have any recommendation?

Thanks,

- Olivier
Main System:
Front: SDA 2ATLs
Center: CS2
Surround: M40s
Sub: PSW505
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1121k
Amp: Carver AV 705x
TV: Samsung LN52A650
Media Player: Chromecast/Boxee Box
BD Player: Sony BDP-S470
Consoles: Xbox360, Wii U

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited August 2019
    Yeah, don't install in-wall speakers in the shared wall. No amount of insulation is going to help. The walls are built in such a way as to minimize your wall surface having direct contact with structure that touches your neighbor's wall surface. You destroyed that by cutting into the drywall.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    Install the same speaker behind the speaker firing into your neighbors side of the wall, that way it is out of phase to the one in your room...

Sounds good on paper 😂
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    To add, you've also compromised the fire rating of that wall. Not good.
  • cascius
    cascius Posts: 175
    Oh boy, I did not realize that it was that big of a deal. I guess my next project is going to be undoing what I've done... Ouch!

Question then: is it okay to use in wall speakers on internal walls that are not shared with my neighbors then?

I guess if I wanted to keep in walls, I would have to build a fake wall in front of the existing one right? :/

- Olivier
    Main System:
    Front: SDA 2ATLs
    Center: CS2
    Surround: M40s
    Sub: PSW505
    Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1121k
    Amp: Carver AV 705x
    TV: Samsung LN52A650
    Media Player: Chromecast/Boxee Box
    BD Player: Sony BDP-S470
    Consoles: Xbox360, Wii U
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    cascius wrote: »
    Oh boy, I did not realize that it was that big of a deal. I guess my next project is going to be undoing what I've done... Ouch!

Question then: is it okay to use in wall speakers on internal walls that are not shared with my neighbors then?

I guess if I wanted to keep in walls, I would have to build a fake wall in front of the existing one right? :/

- Olivier

Or move... LOL