Polk Audio Model 10

Options
I have these great vintage speakers but I stopped getting highs from them, I tested the tweeters and they don't seem to be blown. I heard of the crossovers going bad, do you think that's the case, both speakers are the same way. If I tried to sell them needing crossovers how much could I get for them?jr6n3wms2kn8.jpg

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Define tested.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    And please read the rules for selling...

As far as what they are worth: location has a large factor on it. I recommend repairing/updating the crossovers first as it may change your mind about selling...
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    Check the fuses.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    clean the fuse holders and check wiring leading to the holder. Wires can tarnish/corrode enough to cause this.
  • SteveSkal
    Options
    Thanks guys, I’ll check on the fuse issue, but wouldn’t I not get any sound from the drivers as well and not just the tweeters if that was the case? Oh and sorry if I broke any rules about selling but wasn’t trying to sell here just get more of some guidance on if I chose to sell in their present condition what might be a fair market price. Thanks everyone :-)
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    The fuse is only for the tweeters
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    In the Philadelphia area model 10s with the Peerless go from $120-150. At $150 they will be posted for months on Craiglist (and you don't know what the final offer was). At $120 they go in a few weeks. But that is with everything working.

I have a feeling when you check your fuses with a multimeter they will both be blown. Crossovers usually don't just go bad and leave you with no current. So for a $2 fix at any hardware store you should be up and running (you need 1 amp fast blow replacement fuses).

Listen to your speakers before you think about selling. The early monitor 10's with the Peerless is one of Polks best and most popular speakers.
  • SteveSkal
    Options
    Great write up! I did some more testing this afternoon and it does in fact seem like the tweeters are blown, I found a site that sells replacements for $50, so would cost me $100 to fix both but here is my fear, what caused the tweeters to blow? Seems odd that both would blow so maybe the crossover is sending lower frequencies to them and fried them, so who is to say I don’t spend $100 on new tweeters and then they just blow again? I’m not sure what to do anymore lol
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    What was the fuse rated for when they were checked? Any more than a 1A quick blow can easily allow excessive power to the tweeter coil.

Another option is that the solder joint to the coil has failed and just needs resoldered.
  • SteveSkal
    Options
    Is that an easy fix? I can solder so I think I’m capable. I’m not sure if the rating of the fuse but it does look pretty stout so might be a higher rating than the 1 amp. I’ll take a closer look, will need a magnifying glass, my eyes aren’t what they used to be lol
  • SteveSkal
    Options
    I know there is juice getting to the tweeters, I jumped off the tweeter wires and put to a spare speaker I had laying around and I got sound.
  • SteveSkal
    Options
    Crikey!!! The fuses in the speakers were 15 amp!!!! Lol can you say overkill!? 51bd2tjfzb6d.jpeg
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Gotta go easier on that volume knob. At least it's all figured out now and you can buy those Midwest clones.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    1amp 250v fast blo only. Might as well just stuck big chunk of copper wire in there.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    edited August 2019
    Options
    ruh-roh.
    EDIT: nevermind, sorry :p
    Shoulda read more carefully.

RIP tweeters.

@SteveSkal perhaps you can find a used pair o' Peerless tweeters on eBAY for a reasonable sum(?).

There are some Asian-made copies/knock-offs of the Peerless-'style' tweeters available, too (alluded to by @nightfall in his earlier post) ... I am sure they're not great, but they might be OK for the $. No experience, though, with 'em myself.

The 10s are worthy of rescue, IMO and FWIW.

PS I gotta stop reading threads backwards. :p