What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Is that a CXN? I might be getting one of those soon, how do you like it?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited August 2019
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Is that a CXN? I might be getting one of those soon, how do you like it?

Yep! Nope 851N! (thanks Joe) My first streamer, but absolutely love it! New to Tidal as well, loving that too! I do have the CXN V2 upstairs in the Living Room rig, of which I love that one too!

I have @joecoulson to blame of course! :smile: And, thanks to Joe for saving my butt! :smile:
    Post edited by verb on
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    edited August 2019
    Tony M said:
    Now we're both 62 and I felt like "do I make a move on her?" :smiley:

A classic statement, and I know the feeling!

The answer of course, goes without saying, is YES! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    edited August 2019
    joecoulson wrote: »
    That one is actually the 851N if I am not mistaken, the CXN I sold you was black and is in your living room rig - moral: don't have 10 rigs setup and be expected to remember ALL the gear you have acquired LOL!!

Dang you're right! On both counts! Gotta edit my post! :smile:
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    BlueFox wrote: »
    As a previous SDA 2B owner I agree that while they were great, other speakers sound better.

Yes. Like the SDA 1C's, SRS-2's, SRS 2.3's and the SRS 1.2's
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Nightfall
    audioluvr wrote: »
    As a previous SDA 2B owner I agree that while they were great, other speakers sound better.

I have to respectfully disagree. I went from 2Bs to 1.2s then straight back to 2Bs. I didn't like how the soundstage of the 1.2s is above your head, like the band is floating up in the air. Just my opinion and experience, of course, but the 2Bs are really very good.

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    audioluvr wrote: »

I have to respectfully disagree. I went from 2Bs to 1.2s then straight back to 2Bs. I didn't like how the soundstage of the 1.2s is above your head, like the band is floating up in the air. Just my opinion and experience, of course, but the 2Bs are really very good.

It was a joke in the spirit of "Polk" but I agree, I had to move the 2.3's to the 40'x60' barn for that reason. Couldn't nail it down at the time as to why I like'd the 1C's better but that was about right.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    verb wrote: »
    Tony M said:
    Now we're both 62 and I felt like "do I make a move on her?" :smiley:

A classic statement, and I know the feeling!

The answer of course, goes without saying, is YES! :smile:

If the tool still works, put it to use...
  • Tony M wrote: »
    My wife wanted to hear a Cd through the Triton Ones. :o

I played it at a very nice loudness.

She enjoyed the heck out of it out there. :o She said it reminded her of the bass that was at the concert she attended and sat in the center, third row. I could've turned it up louder but didn't want to injure her ears.

Now we're both 62 and I felt like "do I make a move on her?" :s

It was THE 1st TIME she sat out there and listened to some music EVER. WTH?

Anyway, maybe she'll ask something for those tritons if I go first. I hope to tell her their value soon. I have to pick the right time.

After the tritons performed like they do, I told her, we're going back to the AR4x's for a minute. I switched to speaker B, the AR's.

She looked at me and shook her head....NO...NO...just turn it back to the tall ones. :D
    There was a lack of bass... :s

It was fun though. A first!

Hey Tony, I've been considering some Triton Ones. I'm glad to hear they sound so good in your system. I have kef 107's as my main speaker, and Polk lsim 707's that I just bought to test against them. But from what I've read, the Triton's will outshine them both. Apparently the Triton One.R's are pretty amazing as well.
    Cheers.

Dave
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Willow wrote: »

Don’t I know it....

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,924
    Willow wrote: »
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Don’t I know it....

Seems like a cue for some Little Feat if I ever saw one...

https://youtu.be/j4y4asj3sjM
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    I moved the Spendor S3/5's down to the home theater room,and put the Hornshoppe Great Horned Heils in the audio room. The Spendors sound surprisingly good hooked up to the cheap Denon ht receiver. I haven't had the Hornshoppes set up in a few months. I forgot how great they sound.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Spent the day fighting with a dead media server... My old trusty Dell desktop died today, so I am replaced it with a new HP. I am looking at getting ing a dedicated server going however. Any advice?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Nightfall
    Does it have to be able to run software on the "server" side or can it just be a network shared drive? If the latter you could just get a NAS that plugs into your router and doesn't require a screen or keyboard or anything.

Example: https://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Ultra-Network-Attached-Storage/dp/B01AWH05GE/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?keywords=nas&qid=1565677141&s=gateway&sr=8-5

• mhardy6647
    Spent the day fighting with a dead media server... My old trusty Dell desktop died today, so I am replaced it with a new HP. I am looking at getting ing a dedicated server going however. Any advice?

HP :/ ewww.

OK, let me qualify that -- the last couple of HP machines I bought or (in my working days) lived with were atrociously failure-prone.

Maybe they're better now? I hope so!

• joecoulson
    Synology NAS or be brave and get a Mac Mini
  • mhardy6647
    I just moments ago went solid state for a while to cut down (a little) on heat generation from the amplifier.

Many here will recognize this amp, which really belongs to Club Polk and not to me! :)

43460170985_4349ac74cc_b.jpgDSC_2872 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Not a current photo, just one I had handy :|
  • Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    edited August 2019
    Does it have to be able to run software on the "server" side or can it just be a network shared drive? If the latter you could just get a NAS that plugs into your router and doesn't require a screen or keyboard or anything.

Example: https://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Ultra-Network-Attached-Storage/dp/B01AWH05GE/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?keywords=nas&qid=1565677141&s=gateway&sr=8-5

I made the move last year to a Synology NAS from a media server PC, and I would recommend it even if you do need software on the server side. That is, of course, if the software you require is Linux compatible.

I'm running shared drives on the NAS for music around the house, and Plex server software for remote video and music from the NAS with Tidal integration. It has been a great setup. A small, "headless" box like the Synology is very flexible for location and efficiency without any of the processing overhead that a PC setup has.

2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I just moments ago went solid state for a while to cut down (a little) on heat generation from the amplifier.

Many here will recognize this amp, which really belongs to Club Polk and not to me! :)

43460170985_4349ac74cc_b.jpgDSC_2872 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Not a current photo, just one I had handy :|

If I am not mistaken those are the Amp Camp Amps right Doc?
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2019
    Indeed. A rather famous one custom crafted by the Club's own, inimitable @ALL212 and purchased from its subsequent owner by a forum pixie fairy elf (who shall remain nameless until and unless he wishes to be identified!) and then drop shipped to the wilds of northern New England.

It really, truly is Club Polk's Amp Camp Amp... I have a plan as to where its ultimate resting place might (should) be, but that's another topic for another thread :)

PS It gets just about as hot as the 2A3 amp :p

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

HP :/ ewww.

OK, let me qualify that -- the last couple of HP machines I bought or (in my working days) lived with were atrociously failure-prone.

Maybe they're better now? I hope so!

My experience with HP has been similar to your experience Mark. As far as I'm concerned, HP = Has Problems! No offense meant to anyone that loves their HP products or has had great experiences with HP products.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited August 2019
    Today I bought a new case for building an 8TB NAS for all of my audio and pictures/data to be backed up to. I will be using two Seagate IronWolf 4TB drives. I have also elected to repair my old computer. It appears the power supply was the cause of failure, so I have replaced that with a beefier one and will install a new 1TB drive in that one for the OS(Windows10) and just use it more as an interface with the system.

I am also going to clear out a stand-alone 2TB external drive for use with the Sugar Cube. It will archive all of the raw data from the transfer of my LP's and allow for additional backup, and the ability to play with the files in external editing software as things improve technology-wise in the future.

As things stand now, however, my system is down for about ten days while I recover data from the old drive, build the NAS and transfer that data to it, and rebuild the old PC. In times like this, digital is a far bigger pain in the AZZ than cd's and vinyl ever were. ;)
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • joecoulson
    Just got done organizing and adding art/metadata to a boat load of files from a friend. Up to a measly 1500 albums. But it keeps growing.
  • mhardy6647
    48553297626_afecc13fb6_b.jpgDSC_6307 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Yeah. I needed another tuner.

:p
  • verb
    Nice! I had the TX-5500 back in the day! :)
  • verb
    Although not hooked up, the other MC300 has a nice symmetry to it!
    epadlbh86zv2.jpeg
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited August 2019
    verb wrote: »
    Although not hooked up, the other MC300 has a nice symmetry to it!
    epadlbh86zv2.jpeg

Yes, indeed (until someone opens that door, slamming into it :# )!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10