Back in the Polk Game

Options
ewojer
ewojer Posts: 12
edited August 2019 in The Clubhouse
Throwing this out here to get your opinions...

So I have been out of the audio game for about 15 or 20 years. All my stuff used to be Polk Audio. Home speakers car speakers all that stuff. As I was looking at Best Buy (I have $200 in rewards from buying kitchen appliances) for a soundbar to replace my audio system I noticed that the Polk speakers that they had there were significantly cheaper then what they used to be. In fact if I'm remembering correctly, they never used to carry Polk Audio at Best buy because I believe it was too much of a high-end brand. Is that just a low-level of speaker? Or has Polk Audio changed throughout the years? Or as I close out my 40's soon have a forgotten thing? (I am sure the latter is true).

And also are there any Polk sound bars that anyone would suggest? I am looking to save space, I know the sound quality will not be the same as my old Polk system especially for listening to music.

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    If anything, the quality of Polk speakers has improved in the last 20 years. The brand was not sold in Best Buy back then because their main big box store competitor Circuit City and others carried their home theater speakers. Polk distributed their top speakers through independent dealers.

As far as soundbars go, I recommend browsing through recent threads on the forum to see which models have been having issues more than others. Integrating electronics into speakers has always been a weak point for the brand.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,976
    Options
    I would recommend a pair of s20s and the intergra stereo receiver if you can swing it. Much better sound quality than a sound bar...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I think Best Buy has been carrying Polks for many years now (at least since the closing of Circuit City), but unless it has a Magnolia store, only stock(ed) the lower models. Polk has simplified their lineup and now offers entry level speakers (T series), mid-level speakers (RTiA series and Signature Series), and the LSiM series. I'm guessing you saw either the T series or the signature series at your local BB. Both still offer great sound for the price, but the signature series is the newest and better of the two. LSiM, are/were the flagship, so they weren't often on display in BB stores without Magnolia.

Rumors are that Polk is going to have a new speaker lineup coming out before Christmas this year. A few members here have seen them, but have been sworn to secrecy!

Personally, I'm not a fan of sound bars. I prefer a good amplifier and separate speakers. But, if you're looking to simplify and can live with the limits on their sound quality, they are certainly better than built-in speakers on TVs.

Good luck in your search, and enjoy the search!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,982
    Options
    IIRC, you mentioned in your other thread that you had a Yamaha receiver, and I'd agree with Rooftop that a pair of small bookies like the Signature 20 with your receiver would give much better sound with your TV. Soundbars can have connectivity issues etc., and there are lots of threads on here about them. Not all of them of course.