How many using LSiM702F/X as surrounds in Atmos setup?

Options
Hello all,

How many of you are using LSiM 702 F/X speakers for side and rear surrounds in an atmos setup? I'm planning a dedicated theater build, and the LSiM 703 bookshelf speakers are huge and not easily wall mounted. I don't particularly like in wall speakers, and the 702 F/X look really nice and will compliment my room and fit on the wall nicely. My room will be about 24' deep x 16' wide x 10' high. I'll have two rows of seats, 4 seats wide each for 8 total seats. I'm currently using Bipoles for my standard 5.1 setup, and honestly it's worked great. I hear using F/X speakers is a no-no, but if positioned well (midrange and tweeter pointed toward primary listening location), I wonder how big of a problem would it be. Have many of you tried this?
Main: Polk Rti-38
Center: Polk Csi-40
Rear: Polk Fxi-30
Sub: SVS PB10-isd
Receiver: Marantz SR-5007
Buttkicker Mini Concert x 4

Best Answer

• shs
    shs Posts: 105
    edited August 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    I am using 4 702 F/X for side and back surround and they work very well with my other LSiM speakers. Since the 702 are monopoles there is certainly no reason not to use them as Atmos ear level surrounds. Mine are just above ear level so both rows can hear them unobstructed. They look and work great.

The trick is positioning them because the tweeters and midrange are not pointing perpendicular to the wall, but at a 45° angle. For the side surrounds, I have placed mine at roughly 80° or slightly in front of the MLP or first row. This position also gives good coverage to the 2nd row and is actually recommended by many for a 7.1.X system as it better fills in the sonic space between the front and rear speakers. If you placed them at 120° or behind the MLP and pointed the tweeters forward, that would not work well for the 2nd row as the tweeter would be pointing the wrong way.

For the rear surrounds I have them both firing towards the middle of the room.
    Post edited by shs on
    SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP 203, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer.

Answers

• natronforever
    Options
    Good to know. Thanks for your response. In my room, my 2nd row will likely be the main listening position, so I was going to organize them slightly behind the 2nd row, with the midrange and tweeter pointing to the second row, with the rear speakers being oriented in the same manner as you have yours positioned.
    Main: Polk Rti-38
    Center: Polk Csi-40
    Rear: Polk Fxi-30
    Sub: SVS PB10-isd
    Receiver: Marantz SR-5007
    Buttkicker Mini Concert x 4
  • shs
    shs Posts: 105
    Options
    I suggest that you run temporary speaker wire to that, or any, position and try it out from both rows before you decide. I tried 3 different positions before I made my final decision.
    SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP 203, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Yes, multiple rows is another issue the calibration programs don't yet take into account. You just have to experiment and determine what sounds best from all (or most the important) positions.