Did I miss something?

Went on Amazon today to order the new Avengers End Game 4K BD today and it wan't available? Are they just sold out or is there something else going on here. Why wouldn't just take my order and ship it when they can.

Meanwhile it is already available on DTV and perhaps other sources to stream/download...

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |

Comments

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    But now I see it's available from Prime in 4K UHD.... Confusing? Yes

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Amazon and Disney are in a pissing contest.

Amazon wants to be the first to offer the Disney offerings and wants to set their own price.
    Disney says "Disney sets prices and nobody can ship ahead of release."
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Disney has always had a bank vault grip on their titles. They have always sold their titles like Cinderella and such for a very limited time and all stores and online site had to return all unsold merchandise. Then 6 yrs later the new and improved will come out and wash, rinse and repeat down the road again.
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Disc doesn’t come out until the 13th. Sometimes they release streaming earlier than actual media.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    Deadpool is the only thing worth watching in the Marvel “universe” any more, IMHO.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Spoiler alert, Endgame is one of the largest grossing movies of all time. So yeah there is that.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Yes we know, it's all about the money. How's that working out elsewhere in society ? Money doesn't make everything right.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited August 2019
    In this case it's not an issue with Amazon and a movie studio. The release date is on Tuesday for the disc format. But, it is possible that the distributor may send preorder product to vendors it prefers first and Amazon not having a preorder option up yet may mean the distributor is putting the choke on them for a while. Or it could be that Amazon wants to maximize profits by only providing a streaming option at first. Best Buy may be the next biggest seller, and they do tend to charge a couple bucks more.

The streaming version is of course much easier and cheaper to release and distribute and maybe more profitable. In that realm Amazon is competing with cable and satellite as well as Vudu and Netflix. There's a more competitive market for the discs online and in the few stores that sell 4K discs which is why the studios want to keep the pricing in line across vendors they supply. Has an element of price fixing to it, but the pattern is for a hot 4K disc that comes out at $29.99 to be selling at $19.99 or less in 4 to 6 months. I still won't buy any single movie above the twenty dollar mark.
  • tonyb wrote: »
    Yes we know, it's all about the money. How's that working out elsewhere in society ? Money doesn't make everything right.

Movies are only successful if people spend their money to see it. So yeah there is also that.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• Emlyn
    There is also an element of marketing science involved with the way the different versions are priced and sold. Marketers know that many people think the cheaper option in dollars is the more sensible one because they are "saving" money by not getting physical media. It is also true that some don't like storage clutter. But, for those who are in to quality, it only costs a couple to a few dollars more to buy the 4K version which comes with the streaming version through Movies Anywhere and a superior disc version in terms of sound quality and picture quality.

The streaming version by itself is way overpriced for what it is which is why Amazon and the movie studio will make a ton of money on it. Maybe even more than box office receipts. For friends who don't like clutter and are only going to watch a movie once, I usually say just do an on demand rental.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    tonyb wrote: »
    The people at Marvel are smoking dope. So disappointed in "end game". Spoiler alert, so don't read if you haven't seen it.

They turned Thor into a fat drunk.
    Turned Hulk into a pansie.
    Let Captain America wield Thors Hammer.
    Killed off Iron man.

I could go on with all the things wrong with this movie.

Plus the bad guy could handle Thors Hammer too ?? WTF ?? The whole back in time thing didn't even make sense. Made time travel seem like it was an app on your phone, so easy a caveman can do it. Horrible for fans.

It was soo obvious that this whole movie was a setup to introduce a new Marvel era with more women as hero's, and more....let's just say "modern" gender identities. Obvious Marvel has no clue or even care about the fans that made them what they are, in exchange for what they perceive as a new fan base. How to ruin a brand in 3-2...

Agreed. Disney's on it's way to ruining yet another franchise.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Mikey081057
    Emlyn wrote: »
    In this case it's not an issue with Amazon and a movie studio. The release date is on Tuesday for the disc format. But, it is possible that the distributor may send preorder product to vendors it prefers first and Amazon not having a preorder option up yet may mean the distributor is putting the choke on them for a while. Or it could be that Amazon wants to maximize profits by only providing a streaming option at first. Best Buy may be the next biggest seller, and they do tend to charge a couple bucks more.

The streaming version is of course much easier and cheaper to release and distribute and maybe more profitable. In that realm Amazon is competing with cable and satellite as well as Vudu and Netflix. There's a more competitive market for the discs online and in the few stores that sell 4K discs which is why the studios want to keep the pricing in line across vendors they supply. Has an element of price fixing to it, but the pattern is for a hot 4K disc that comes out at $29.99 to be selling at $19.99 or less in 4 to 6 months. I still won't buy any single movie above the twenty dollar mark.

It was that this was the first time I tried to pre order and it was un available for pre order....Even if the sold out their allocation it always was able to let me pre order it and might backorder it.

So I bought it in 4K UHD streaming on Prime.

• Emlyn
    The first time I remember the distributor choke hold was a few years ago with one of the Stars Wars movies and them trying to kick Amazon and others into line to maximize profit on something that was expected to be a very big seller. That was before streaming was as big a market as it is now. I suspect Amazon is perfectly happy to sell the streaming version first and they'd probably have a good legal case if they were denied access to that. If Amazon really wanted to sell the discs badly enough they'd get those for release on Tuesday too.
  • daddyjt
    Spoiler alert, Endgame is one of the largest grossing movies of all time. So yeah there is that.

So was Titanic, at one time...

ukojscfyj8rg.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• ^^ That's right, records are for one thing to be broken.

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Emlyn wrote: »
    The first time I remember the distributor choke hold was a few years ago with one of the Stars Wars movies and them trying to kick Amazon and others into line to maximize profit on something that was expected to be a very big seller. That was before streaming was as big a market as it is now. I suspect Amazon is perfectly happy to sell the streaming version first and they'd probably have a good legal case if they were denied access to that. If Amazon really wanted to sell the discs badly enough they'd get those for release on Tuesday too.

Not going to quote all of your posts but this is exactly what I said it is...

Amazon wants to set the price lower than Disney wants to allow and also take a larger chunk of the profits.
    They also want to be able to ship before the release day of the physical media (i.e. they want them arriving at the customer Monday, not Tuesday).
    Disney will have none of it.
    Disney said flat out, you sell at the same price we require everyone else to sell it at as we set prices.
    Disney also refused to let them ship if there is ANY chance the physical media will be received before their expressly stated release date.

Endgame isn't the first time this has happened. It has been happening for about 2 or so years now with all Marvel titles on Amazon. As well as the Star Wars titles since Disney acquired that franchise.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2407062/amazon-has-started-only-letting-prime-members-order-marvel-and-star-wars-movies

Since that article was published, even Prime members are unable to pre-order any Disney titles.

I have taken to ordering all of my Disney titles from Best Buy or Walmart...ironically, I got my copy of Endgame today...1 day ahead of the "official" release date for physical media.

The same has happened at Family Video (Disney peeing on them to mark their territory that is).
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited August 2019
    I am just thinking/reflecting on this idea of top-down pricing. Wasn't that outlawed in the US quite a few years (decades) ago?

Personally, it seems to me that a manufacturer/producer/maker/whatever ought to be able to set a prix fixe (so to speak), but I also think I remember that the FTC or whomever regulates such things in the US didn't concur with me. :#

EDIT: well, OK, maybe not? :p
    https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/competition-guidance/guide-antitrust-laws/dealings-supply-chain/manufacturer-imposed

I also wonder what difference it makes to a consumer whether s/he gets something the day of, the day before, or the day after its release, but I know this just shows a) I'm old and b) I am no company's target demographic. :|

• daddyjt
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I am just thinking/reflecting on this idea of top-down pricing. Wasn't that outlawed in the US quite a few years (decades) ago?

Personally, it seems to me that a manufacturer/producer/maker/whatever ought to be able to set a prix fixe (so to speak), but I also think I remember that the FTC or whomever regulates such things in the US didn't concur with me. :#

EDIT: well, OK, maybe not? :p
    https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/competition-guidance/guide-antitrust-laws/dealings-supply-chain/manufacturer-imposed

The first time I encountered this was with the Sega Genesis game console in the early 90’s, when I worked for a local discount retailer. I remember the rep telling me that we were NOT allowed to discount the sale of the Genesis under ANY circumstances. Further, doing so could jeopardize the company’s ability to sell them in the future. I also encountered this later in my career with Maytag appliances - the retail price was set by Maytag, and we were not allowed to deviate. They called it “unilateral pricing”, and again, the company’s contract would be endangered if the pricing was violated.

Maybe there’s an angle I don’t see, but I fail to understand why the manufacturer would care what the goods sold for, once they got the sale to retailers. The only thing I can think of, is the dealer network wants protection from the larger (Walmart, Amazon) retailers ability to discount. The manufacturer therefor sets the price, to appease ALL the distributors. However, this is done at the expense of the consumer, as it eliminates competition.

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• mhardy6647
    edited August 2019
    daddyjt wrote: »

Maybe there’s an angle I don’t see, but I fail to understand why the manufacturer would care what the goods sold for, once they got the sale to retailers. The only thing I can think of, is the dealer network wants protection from the larger (Walmart, Amazon) retailers ability to discount. The manufacturer therefor sets the price, to appease ALL the distributors. However, this is done at the expense of the consumer, as it eliminates competition.

The discounting cheapens the brand by definition, I'd opine.

Supposed the prix fixe MSRP (i.e., manufacturer's mandatory retail price) for an item is $50, but Walmart (or Amazon) sells it for $30. It instantly becomes a thirty dollar item -- even if every other outlet in the world sells (or tries to sell) it for fifty.

:|

• Mikey081057
    It is by definition "Price Fixing"

• mhardy6647
    edited August 2019
    It is by definition "Price Fixing"

I kind of thought so, too, so I looked it up -- it's only considered price fixing if multiple companies (competitors) conspire to normalize their prices (e.g., if two energy companies both agreed to sell gas for $3.33 a gallon). Check that FTC link above, and also this one:

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/competition-guidance/guide-antitrust-laws/dealings-competitors/price-fixing

Now, outside the US, things might be different. I know you're right on the edge of the US, but barring a severe storm or seismic activity, the FTC regulations still hold sway, I think.

;)
  • Mikey081057
    So when multiple companies agree to fix the price of an item and a competitor would like to discount it... that's not price fixing.... I think I get it now.

• Mikey081057
    And if Walmart and Target (competitors) agree with Disney to keep the price fixed than isn't that price fixing?

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Well then there is M.A.P. pricing.
    Minimum Advertised Price so yes you csn sell it for less but cannot "Advertise" that you do.
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    I’m in no rush to get the disc.
    Disney has not put a good audio mix on a disc in a long time.They also stripped the IMAX Video from this release.

I’m sure they plan to re-release everything with improved audio and the IMAX included later.
    More Money!
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Minimum Advertised Price so yes you csn sell it for less but cannot "Advertise" that you do.

These were the terms I had with Sony, Pioneer Elite and Polk when I was selling
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Mikey081057
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

These were the terms I had with Sony, Pioneer Elite and Polk when I was selling

They learned that from drug dealers in NJ back in the day to keep the street prices up. Only difference was if you got caught selling lower you would get a meeting with Jimmy Hoffa

• mhardy6647
    edited August 2019
    So when multiple companies agree to fix the price of an item and a competitor would like to discount it... that's not price fixing.... I think I get it now.

No, that is price fixing ,assuming the 'multiple companies' are dealing in the same product ("content", in this case). Walmart and Target are (sort of) competitors, but not with Disney. Per the law regulations.
    And if Walmart and Target (competitors) agree with Disney to keep the price fixed than isn't that price fixing?

No, it would be if Disney and (who else is left in that playspace?) Universal, or Sony, or Viacom-CBS or Netflix or whomever the heck controlled prices of their content.

We ain't talkin' logic here -- if we were, the legal system could be much more compact. :)

... and, oh yes, it might get really complicated with, say Disney and Amazon (or Apple, for that matter) -- and it's gonna get worse before it gets better :/

• mhardy6647
    Oh.
    And I realized, while cleaning the bathroom floor B) what I was thinkin' of in my first post to this thread was the old practice of "fair trade" -- which, I think, in the 1950s and 1960s meant something different, at least in the US, than it does now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_fair_trade

Companies like McIntosh (when they were a company) set "fair trade" prices -- to some extent, their owners now (the "McIntosh Group", formerly known as Fine Sounds Group) still do.

... and then again there are monopolies, but that's another subject entirely, ain't it? :)