What streaming music service do you use?

polk500
polk500 Posts: 1,171
edited May 2014 in Music & Movies
I'm looking for some suggestions on a streaming music services, what is the most popular, best bitrate etc(it seems like 320 is the highest that I can find)

And of course functionally is also important.

Cheers
Roger
Post edited by polk500 on

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited March 2014
    there are several threads that discuss this elsewhere in the forum fyi...

I LOVED mog as it was the cheapest with the highest consistent bitrate (320 as you mention), unfortunately they were bought out and replaced by beats.

Now I use spotify. I works on my squeezebox and also has a fairly consistent 320 bitrate, but I am having a little trouble getting used to it...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • polk500
    edited March 2014
    Never thought about searching the forum will have to give it a go.

Thanks
    Roger
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited March 2014
    Spotify is very nice. Mog is another to check out. Both have excellent quality for streaming music.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • B Run
    B Run Posts: 1,888
    edited March 2014
    I love Spotify, MOG isn't around anymore and i'm not a fan of Beats Audio. I tired the 30 day trial, had lots of issues with airplay skipping and I didn't like the layout as much.
  • polk500
    edited March 2014
    B Run wrote: »
    I love Spotify, MOG isn't around anymore and i'm not a fan of Beats Audio. I tired the 30 day trial, had lots of issues with airplay skipping and I didn't like the layout as much.

Spotify Not available in Canada. Sucks so gonna try Sonymusic free trial see how it sounds.

Cheers
    Roger
  • polk500
    edited March 2014
    Never mind it streams at a bitrate of a measly 45.
  • zeppage2
    zeppage2 Posts: 196
    edited March 2014
    Rockradio.com has a great selection of rock genres.

Tunein.com has a wide variety.

http://laut.fm/bluesclub is interesting as well.

...all free!
  • polk500
    edited March 2014
    Thanks like free :-)
  • trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    edited March 2014
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    there are several threads that discuss this elsewhere in the forum fyi...

Yeah, but with the constand changing and buyouts of web audio, no teelling how useful those threrads might actually be! LOL
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited March 2014
    my buddy uses rdio and really likes it, but I haven't looked into it...but check out this thread for info on bit-rate:

http://help.rdio.com/customer/portal/questions/820747-sound-quality?b_id=681
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • polk500
    edited March 2014
    Currently listening to slacker radio at work,I like the app layed out pretty good. Bit rate from what I've read so far is suppose to be near CD quality but probably around 192.

My work rig is an old onkyo and a pair of Tsi 100 source iphone 5.

I will probably load on the S/B this afternoon and see how it sounds on the main Rig :-)

I will check out a few more over the weekend.

Cheers
    Roger
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited March 2014
    Sony however doesn't need as high of a bit rate. They use HE AAC. not Mp3. The Sound quality is probably very close if not the same as spotify. I currently use Spotify but had Sony for years prior. Fyi the free version is terrible. Try premium for 30.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited March 2014
    Despite the crap bitrate, I'm using Pandora's $36/year plan. It was worth it to me for never having to hear advertisements.

Plus at work or in the car I'm not really concerned with 100% pristine audio quality.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited March 2014
    Spotify is my favorite by far. Premium is something like 9 bucks a month, and that allows me to put over 3k songs on my phone to be played in "offline" mode. My offline songs/albums/playlists are "extreme" quality, which I'm pretty sure is 320kbs. Premium also cuts commercials completely out of the equation.

I listen to it all day at work, and anytime I'm on the road for an extended period of time (I HATE radio), so the monthly fee is way worth it. I like Pandora, but Spotify lets you choose exactly what you want to listen to, and in what order.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    edited March 2014
    Spotify is the best, most music, high bit rate, most devices support it.
    Xbox music isnt bad at all too. I use it and like it a lot. However its bit rate is only 192kbps. Offers offline mode like spotify and has a good amount of device support.

I just started to use Murfie. They stream your music back at lossless. However you need to own the music. You can buy sell and trade on their site or send your CDs in. For offline playing you can download in mp3, aiff, or Flac.

its a bit more than spotify or xbox music but you get the highest quality playback.

https://www.murfie.com/
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited March 2014
    B Run wrote: »
    I just read, looks like Beats shut them down. I tried out beats free trail and didn't really care for it. I think Spotify is better.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited March 2014
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited March 2014
    Spotify Premium
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Devlon
    Devlon Posts: 355
    edited March 2014
    My Mog subscription ends in a couple of days. I am going to try Qobuz. It comes very highly rated and streams at 16/44.1 which I guess beats all other streaming services on sound quality right now.
    Living Room: HK AVR 354 as pre/pro, 2 x Polk Audio Micropro 4000, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Mirage OMD-15
    2 x Mirage OMD-5, 1 x Mirage OMD-C1, APC H15, Sony S790, Philips 52" LCD, Beogram 3000, FAT (Firestone Audio Tobby DAC), Harmony One

Den: Sherwood R-972,as pre/pro, 2 x Velodyne SPL-1000R, 3 x Crown Drivecore XLS1500, 2 x Polk Audio Lsi9
    1 x Polk Audio Lsic, 2 x Polk Audio Lsifx, Sony S790, APC H15, Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0, W4S DAC 2, Keces DA-151
  • polk500
    edited March 2014
    Devlon wrote: »
    My Mog subscription ends in a couple of days. I am going to try Qobuz. It comes very highly rated and streams at 16/44.1 which I guess beats all other streaming services on sound quality right now.

Thanks for the lead I've been doing some reading last nite download the Qobuz app. Reviews are stellar being a French product and having google translate is difference.

Going to download it today and see what it sounds like apparently there is a Squeeze box applet as well.

Cheers
    Roger
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    edited March 2014
    I downloaded the Qobuz desktop app. When I signed in using my facebook account most of the stuff changed to English.
    Google Chromes translate helps on the website. Going to have some fun checking out their desktop software.

BTW Murfie Premium streams at FLAC and they have a official app and Sonos source. ( and its in english )
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • polk500
    edited March 2014
    I've been listening to it sounds good trying to load it on my SB so I can use the remote;haven't had any luck so far if any one knows how any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Roger
  • eeagle
    eeagle Posts: 226
    edited March 2014
    I too find Spotify is my go to streamer to try an album before buying....I still have to have lossless fllac for the music I want to get serious about, and am fast becoming biased to HDTracks higher bit rates even on a portable Fiio X3.

That said another streaming site I like that also offers video if available has not been mentions called Rokkify.
    http://rokkify.com/#!/search/yellow%20submarine
    SDA SRS 1.2
    Adcom GFA-5802
    Adcom GFP-750
    Sony DVP-NS999ES
  • polk500
    edited April 2014
    So settled on Slacker Premium really good selection. Sound quality is not bad, conflicting articles on the bit rate I've read anywhere from 128 to 320?

What I like is I can pick an artist and play just about every song they done. And of course then if I want I can pick up their CD.

Digging it so far.

Cheers
    Roger
  • Christo
    Christo Posts: 30
    edited May 2014
    MOG, while it lasts.
  • Devlon
    Devlon Posts: 355
    edited May 2014
    I am now into my 2nd month of Qobuz. There is no streaming service that compares to it's fidelity (16/44.1). On some songs I actually think it sounds better than CD. Maybe it has something to do with the signal path, or lack of rather. It's expensive (28.00 p/m) but well worth IMO. I didn't spend thousands to listen to sub quality streaming.
    Living Room: HK AVR 354 as pre/pro, 2 x Polk Audio Micropro 4000, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Mirage OMD-15
    2 x Mirage OMD-5, 1 x Mirage OMD-C1, APC H15, Sony S790, Philips 52" LCD, Beogram 3000, FAT (Firestone Audio Tobby DAC), Harmony One

Den: Sherwood R-972,as pre/pro, 2 x Velodyne SPL-1000R, 3 x Crown Drivecore XLS1500, 2 x Polk Audio Lsi9
    1 x Polk Audio Lsic, 2 x Polk Audio Lsifx, Sony S790, APC H15, Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0, W4S DAC 2, Keces DA-151
  • JerryR1verz
    JerryR1verz Posts: 76
    edited May 2014
    Spotify premium. It's rare that I can't find a song I'm looking for.
    Polk Monitor 10
    Polk Monitor 7
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Spotify premium family plan.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Im digging Tophat Radio🎩
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • This new update is great as i was getting some hanging problem after update it is recover. If you are a music lover and facing any music transfer related problem then visit my friend website Musconvtool with the help of you can easily handle your problems.