Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

My son and I went to see Once Upon A Time in Hollywood last night. I won’t force you to skim to the bottom of my drivel for my recommendation, if that is all you are seeking - it’s an extremely well done film, and I recommend you see it - if you like Tarantino’s work.

It’s fair to say that I enjoy his work (except Dusk Til Dawn - I never could figure that one out, lol). To me, his films are FULL of texture. On the one hand, watching his work is like sitting at a table and having him throw you pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, one at a time. The farther in you get, you start putting the pieces together, and forming the story - but you don’t see the whole thing until the very end. But more than that, each piece is fascinating in its own right, worthy of study and admiration. In fact, Tarantino’s best films (Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction) almost play like a dozen or so short stories, woven together into a compelling tapestry. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood is no exception.

The story unfolds in 1969 LA, against the backdrop of the Sharon Tate murder. Just the scenery is a joyous trip down memory lane - the cars, tv programs, clothing, etc... then there’s the cast - Pitt and DiCaprio obviously (and their first work together), but intriguing supporting performances from Olyphant, Russell, Pacino and Luke Perry (his last film role, R.I.P.).

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed this film. It keeps you wanting to “peek around the corner”, and see what happens next. It’s not as “R” rated as most of Tarantino’s work, and there is an Easter egg in the credits, so sit tight for a few minutes at the end.

https://youtu.be/ELeMaP8EPAA
"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Comments

• Thanks for the review, I have seeing this on my weekend to do list. The subject and the cast make it a no brainer for me. Looking forward to seeing it.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Love Tarantino
    One I want to see for sure
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I'm looking forward to this as well. I love his work and absolutely loved The Hateful 8. Always amazing dialog and character development.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    daddyjt wrote: »
    My son and I went to see Once Upon A Time in Hollywood last night. I won’t force you to skim to the bottom of my drivel for my recommendation, if that is all you are seeking - it’s an extremely well done film, and I recommend you see it - if you like Tarantino’s work.

It’s fair to say that I enjoy his work (except Dusk Til Dawn - I never could figure that one out, lol). To me, his films are FULL of texture. On the one hand, watching his work is like sitting at a table and having him throw you pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, one at a time. The farther in you get, you start putting the pieces together, and forming the story - but you don’t see the whole thing until the very end. But more than that, each piece is fascinating in its own right, worthy of study and admiration. In fact, Tarantino’s best films (Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction) almost play like a dozen or so short stories, woven together into a compelling tapestry. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood is no exception.

The story unfolds in 1969 LA, against the backdrop of the Sharon Tate murder. Just the scenery is a joyous trip down memory lane - the cars, tv programs, clothing, etc... then there’s the cast - Pitt and DiCaprio obviously (and their first work together), but intriguing supporting performances from Olyphant, Russell, Pacino and Luke Perry (his last film role, R.I.P.).

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed this film. It keeps you wanting to “peek around the corner”, and see what happens next. It’s not as “R” rated as most of Tarantino’s work, and there is an Easter egg in the credits, so sit tight for a few minutes at the end.

https://youtu.be/ELeMaP8EPAA

1ovzax4ya35j.jpg
    Enough said.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Can't wait for the 4K BluRay.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    BlueFox wrote: »

It will be 8K :D
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

You sure about that? They did 8mm and 32mm screenings around town in DFW.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

You sure about that? They did 8mm and 32mm screenings around town in DFW.

nope just jerkin Buds leash.... Many 4K panels are on clearance so I'm thinking that 8K stuff will be out VERY quickly so 8K disc's are coming soon as well. Many movies are already shot in 8K and down-converted to 4k as it is.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    So far there is no standard for 8K, so you can buy an 8K TV today, and it might be obsolete later. I guess if you have a 200” TV then 8K might be useful. I probably will get one in 5-10 years, but I don’t watch much TV anymore.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    So far there is no standard for 8K, so you can buy an 8K TV today, and it might be obsolete later. I guess if you have a 200” TV then 8K might be useful. I probably will get one in 5-10 years, but I don’t watch much TV anymore.

they'll get it worked out Bud
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Apple cigarettes
    [
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Im totally happy with 1080p :)

1080p still looks beautiful on a 10-year-old Panasonic plasma. :)