Paradigm SUB15 vs. ??

@F1nut and @DSkip and others.

I came across a dealer NIB Paradigm SUB15 for $1500. That would seem to be a decent deal. I guess their close out pricing has been around that with some going for less. The New Defiance X15 is also $1500 and supposedly has newer, better room correction, or maybe it is just more marketable since the new version will run on mobile with the new ARC/PBK mic. This appears to be the replacement for the SUB15. I don't see any others in the previous price range of the SUB15

I'd use it or (them?) for 2Ch / HT use. They might would probably be paired with my NewForm Research R830's (ribbon tweeter). The SUB15 replaced their older Servo version. Supposedly with the new Digital amp it is supposed to be the same as the servo without needing the servo measurement.

This seems like a good bang for the buck, but I have heard SVS was the route to go for that. They also have their own DSP room correction. On the other hand, I was debating about going the servo route for a sub(s) with the trade off being tighter bass to keep up with the ribbons, and they would do OK with HT.

Comments

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    I am looking for opinions whether they are good deal, or considering the X15, they are now really only worth $1500 or less because of technology updates, or should I keep leaning towards SVS and others, or still think about servo? My main debate about a good servo sub is the cost. I've been keeping an eye out for a decent used one.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Not familiar with that sub, but why not a PAIR of these: http://hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15mk2Dual.html

Or this? http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F25.html

Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pkquat
    TY. I am glad I asked. The Paradigm normally were around $3k. Not that price determines sound, but it have heard good things about the sub, and it's got good reviews. I am not huge on looks, but they do look nice, and that can help resale if needed.

A reality check is what I was looking for. I wish there were more places near me that carried subs so I could get a better evaluation. Hopefully I'll get some on ear comments too, but now I have some more names to search on here.

One other question if anyone knows, can you over drive a servo sub, or does the servo also help keep it within limits?
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I have ton's of experience with Paradigm Subs and the full line for that matter. I find everything they make is overpriced. In my opinion I feel at their price points they are dead last in their respected category. Drop dead sexy cabinets and beautiful finishes. To the eyes they are amazing in every way but if you close your eyes and listen, they fall short retail to retail.
    BUT for $1500 this is an amazing sub. Your not going to get much better if any at all for that kind of cash. That is a great price and just be warned it's one heavy sucker. Make sure you eat well before you pick it up.
    SVS is a wonderful subwoofer company. They make good quality stuff for cheap compared to many others in their price point. At $1500 the Paradigm Sub15 will stomp anything SVS makes for overall sheer performance and musical abilities.
    Right now I'm feeling dollar for dollar subwoofers on the market are JL. They are warm and powerful musical and earth shaking. But you pay a heavy price for the higher end models.
    I don't think your gonna do better then the Sub15 especially at that price. For full retail you can beat it easily.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • rooftop59
    Have you heard the HSU ULS-15 mk2 @mantis?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • mantis
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    No I have not . I just checked them out on the website and they look interesting. The spec's and price seems very good. I'd love to check one of those bad boys out.
    Dan
  • rooftop59
    mantis wrote: »
    No I have not . I just checked them out on the website and they look interesting. The spec's and price seems very good. I'd love to check one of those bad boys out.

I haven’t heard it either but if I was spending that kind of coin it would be at the top of my list. Reviews were all stellar: https://www.google.com/amp/s/hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/speaker/subwoofers/hsu-research-uls-15-mkii-subwoofer-review/amp/
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • mantis
    mantis wrote: »

I haven’t heard it either but if I was spending that kind of coin it would be at the top of my list. Reviews were all stellar: https://www.google.com/amp/s/hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/speaker/subwoofers/hsu-research-uls-15-mkii-subwoofer-review/amp/
    Reviews are cool but I much prefer to do my own. I've been around so many subwoofers that had very good spec's and reviews only to be disappointed in the end. Not saying this could be one of them but it could be. I think the price is awesome and I gotta agree with you it would absolutely be on my list if I was in the market. It has a 30 day in home trial which is it is great you just keep it. Smart move by these companies to do such a thing. Unless it sucks it's not going back.
    Dan
  • pkquat
    TY. I'll have to check into things further. While the SUB15 is a good deal, it may not be a slam dunk. Right now I am leaning towards the Rythmik subs, but trying to find more about them. A lot looks good on paper, but as mentioned ears on is good.

Furniture subs have their appeal, and IMO if it looks great too, all the better, but it is not that important to me. It is not something I want to pay much extra for unless it means it will retain its value better... which is rare for many new speakers and some used speakers until they reach a certain price point.

Part of that issue unfortunately is I am not sure what all to listen for, or what I am supposed to be listening for when it comes to minor differences. The 30 day trial is good, but I am pretty sure I won't be able to make the best of it right now. My primary listening room is not ideal. A sub or subs are a bit of a future purchase, but I don't want to pass up a great deal.

I agree about reviews, unless I am familiar with the reviewer, they can help give a general idea, and things to listen for, but rarely a final word. What I like with the forum here is I have gotten to know a number of people via their posts, and reviews are a bit like a discussion and opinion, plus there are some that have listened to a lot of different speakers, subs, equipment etc. So far I've gotten good recommendations that steered me in the right direction, and good deals where it's been at a price that if I decide i don't like it, I can easily flip it.