PSW125 Knocking and Horrible Customer Service

So recently my PSW125 started making thumps and knocks, even with the receiver being off. I contacted Best Buy and Polk's customer service. I was given several options to try and resolve the issue, however, none worked. We tried plugging in the sub in a different room, using a ground isolator, unplugging the audio cables and playing around with the settings on the receiver. Alas, nothing could get it resolved.

I contacted Polk's technical support and was transfered to another sales line where the gentlemen there was extremely rude. I asked why I should purchase an amp (along with shipping he quoted me $175 USD), and he got surprisingly irate. Not quite sure what set him off. I asked if it was worth purchasing the part if the sub itself has been discontinued. I mentioned others had the same issue I was having, to which he replied any sub from any manufacturer will have the same issue in 5 years. Now, having owned subs and audio equipment in other cities I know that subs don't usually have a set 'shelf life'. I use the sub maybe 3 times a week to watch movies and play music. It's been paired with the RTI A7's, the CSI A6's and the FSI A6's. The remaining speakers work perfectly.

Does anyone here know of a way to diagnose the amp to see if there's something else that may be causing the issue? Does the entire board need to be replaced?

After the customer service experience I just had I'm not entirely sure I want another Polk sub, or Polk speakers for that matter. Very disappointed in the way the situation was dealt with by Polk. Best Buy was so much more helpful in that regard.

-Mehr

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    I wouldn't spend $175 on a sub that is $250 new, if it is no longer under warranty consider it a loss and look for a better sub.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Wack a mole anyone???
  • Same issue with mine. Looks like they just produced a trash product. I won't purchase another Polk item.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    I bet you say that to all the guys.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk