Trade my LSi15s for LSiM705s?

Options
2»

Comments

• tlainhart
    tlainhart Posts: 66
    Options
    I've been powering my LSi15s with monoblocks (Schiit Vidar) for a while now, and have been enjoying them.

Part of me wants to upgrade the crossovers, but at this point, for such an investment, I should consider either the 703s or 705s (again). I wouldn't even be tempted if they weren't on sale, and I have seen them go for 600 and 1000 (703/5, respectively) at Adorama.
  • john1965
    john1965 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm using LSI 705 for mains 706c center 703 rear chanel room size 20x16 marantz av8801 pre amp with parasound power amp 140x5 it seems to work s fine
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    tlainhart wrote: »
    I've been powering my LSi15s with monoblocks (Schiit Vidar) for a while now, and have been enjoying them.

Part of me wants to upgrade the crossovers, but at this point, for such an investment, I should consider either the 703s or 705s (again). I wouldn't even be tempted if they weren't on sale, and I have seen them go for 600 and 1000 (703/5, respectively) at Adorama.

We are still contemplating getting rid of our Lsi15's but every few months hook them back up and the sound is simply so listenable.
    I think the LsiM Series is probably overall a better speaker, but also a more forward presentation. A bit more in the treble and upper midrange sounds.

The older Lsi was a tad subdued in the upper mids and treble and a bit boosted in the upper bass.
    With good positioning, it is a tough call.
    FYI my husband finds the Lsi a bit dull, I find them just right.

I find the Lsim a bit bright, and he finds them just right.
    It may come down partially to one's high frequency hearing in the end.
  • tlainhart
    tlainhart Posts: 66
    Options
    Thanks for responding @K_M . I seem to follow the same path: I swap out the LSi15s for LS50s; get used to those (great imaging and mids); bring back the LSi15s; enjoy the fuller presentation.

I think that I have them positioned right, and as others have noticed, they really perform with a bunch of power through them. I find the low-end to be fine - I've not felt the need to swap out the woofers.

In terms of a more forward presentation - at times I think that's what I need, with attenuated high-frequency hearing loss, but then tinnitus/fatigue kicks in and I'm not sure if it's helping. Maybe the boost of the LSiMs would help there.

Really, I could live with the LSi15s probably for the remainder, assuming no driver failure. That said, I do want to audition some Harbeths, because of my penchant for British loudspeakers, and the buzz around those speakers.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Harbeths would be a huge step up, just as the Lsim's are a huge step up from the Lsi's.
    I have found the Lsim's to not really be worth their price point, that being said, if you can find a pair under $1k, go for it as you will most likely be able to get money back for them as you move up.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Harbeths would be a huge step up, just as the Lsim's are a huge step up from the Lsi's.
    I have found the Lsim's to not really be worth their price point, that being said, if you can find a pair under $1k, go for it as you will most likely be able to get money back for them as you move up.
    joecoulson wrote: »

I think you have said that before, about the Lsim being a huge step up.
    Now after hearing them for a good bit of time in our own house, I somewhat agree they are better, but also at the same time, feel they are somewhat just a different presentation.

They work better on some music to me, but also lack something I find the Lsi15's to have.
    I was NOT wanting to like the Lsi15's better in ANY way, so kinda created an issue with me now.
    Certain music the Lsi15's just sound like honey or magical, but the same songs on the Lsim sound good also but not with those odd magical qualities.

Maybe need to do more comparing.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    I had the LSiM myself and enjoyed the better accuracy and detail over the older RT speakers I had. I moved on with hopes of building a speaker that would take things up another level. That project has yet to happen as I found myself short on cash. To get by I started searching for something that offered the detail I was after within my current budget and I landed upon the older Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR line. For the used price I paid, these speakers are exceptional. With speakers like the LSi, LSiM, Bostons, etc some amplifiers and cables might make a difference in the sound. So, if one is powering a set of LSiM with a Krell amp maybe the sound will be different using something like a B&K or tube amp, preamp.

Just something to consider before totally writing off a more detailed speaker.....
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2