SDA SRS Crossover Parts List

Options
xsmi
xsmi Posts: 1,786
Many years ago, there was a page that had the crossover parts list as well as which brand for the bass and the other brand for the treble. I have just spent 45 min searching this forum and have found nothing of the sort, making me feel really stupid. But, I KNOW those stickies existed somewhere.
2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.

Comments

• mackdrool
    mackdrool Posts: 26
    Options
    I too would be interested in this magical document! Thanks for posting!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    The schematic is posted at the top of this section.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I don't think he's looking for a schematic. I think he's looking for another member who's posted a parts list, including brand names and perhaps part numbers and sources for replacement components.

Wild Guess: It exists, but it's from the pre-Vanilla forum, and it'll be hard to track down.

Second Wild Guess: Might as well invent your own parts list, using the flood of suggestions you're likely to get in response to this thread.

Those suggestions are sure to include ERSE iron-core SDA inductors unwound to the proper value, Jantzen inductors for the rest, Mills or Duelund resistors, Speakon terminals, and fifteen different brands and models of capacitors, and another fifteen brands/models of cabling.
  • xsmi
    Options
    Schurkey, That IS what I'm looking for and they were stickies I believe in the Do-it-Yourself section. I have found a quasi list that DK put together that I am trying to source parts form, but and having trouble finding couple of the values, as well as I can't remember if it's Sonicaps up top and Solens on the bottom? Or, was there another brand for the bottoms?
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Options
    Maybe this will help.

http://www.gimpod.com/

HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • xsmi
    Options
    Gimpods boards are for later SDA's. I have original SRS's.
  • F1nut
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »
    Schurkey, That IS what I'm looking for and they were stickies I believe in the Do-it-Yourself section. I have found a quasi list that DK put together that I am trying to source parts form, but and having trouble finding couple of the values, as well as I can't remember if it's Sonicaps up top and Solens on the bottom? Or, was there another brand for the bottoms?

The schematic lists all the values.

Never use Solen for anything other than the shunt circuit.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xsmi
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Daytons on LF's?
  • hauxon
    hauxon Posts: 161
    Options
    Here's a good place to read about different characteristics of different capacitors.

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

From reading this forum Sonicap is most popular folloed by ClarityCap. Don't know the axact dirrence in sound.
    SRS 1.2 TL | SDA 2B Studio TL | NAD M51 preamp/dac | DIY SET 300B tube amplifier | Cambridge Audio Azur 851W | Chromecast Audio | RoPieee Roon Raspberry Pi endpoint
  • F1nut
    edited July 2019
    Options

Daytons on LF's?

I wouldn't use Dayton/Bennic anywhere.

President of Club Polk

• xsmi
    Options

Daytons on LF's?

I wouldn't use Dayton/Bennic anywhere.

So, what would you suggest in the LF? Sonicaps would be expensive there.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Sonicap does not have the values required for many of the caps on your crossover. Most use Solen for the large values.

President of Club Polk

• xsmi
    Options
    But you said, don't use Solens, LOL.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,041
    Options
    Clarity cap px is a great entry level cap
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • xsmi
    Options
    I've pulled the trigger on the Solens.
  • F1nut
    Options
    But you said, don't use Solens, LOL.

No, I said use them for the shunt.

President of Club Polk

• xsmi
    Options
    I guess I don’t know what that means.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited July 2019
    Options
    A capacitor connected between + and ground (in parallel to the driver) is a shunt. The cap is "bleeding off" some of the signal directly to ground. Whatever gets directed to ground is part of the signal you DON'T hear.

A capacitor connected in series between + and the device (driver) to be powered is not a shunt. The cap is in-line with the driver, what you hear had to get through the capacitor first. It's a more-critical application.

Polk tended to use Mylar (film) caps in the tweeter non-shunt applications, and electrolytics everywhere else.

I have NO problem using inexpensive film caps, largely because the worst of them are still WAY better than the elecrolytics Polk used, and the electros have degraded in the meantime. Most any film cap sold today is still better than the Mylar caps Polk chose. Any modern film cap is still an upgrade from OEM.
  • xsmi
    Options
    Thanks Schurkey, I think I get it. Lol.
    BTW, I ended up ordering,
    Sonicaps 4.4, 12, and 20.
    Solens 91 and 130 (92 is the real value, I had to substitute with 91)
    Mills 5W resisters - 2.7, 7.5, 15, 22 (22.5 was original value)
  • F1nut
    Options
    Should have gone with the 10 or 12 watt resistors.

Here's the 22.5, http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/225-ohm-vishay-mills-mra-12-p-4692

Half an ohm is audible to my ears.

President of Club Polk

• xsmi
    Options
    There was nothing close to 7.5 in 12W.
  • F1nut
    Options

President of Club Polk

• xsmi
    Options
    So I didn't have to keep all of the Watts the same?
  • F1nut
    Options
    No.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    So I didn't have to keep all of the Watts the same?

No just as long as it is more than the original it's just insurance for breathing room.
  • xsmi
    Options
    Damn. I'll order the 22.5 in the morning.