tune us in!

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
edited August 2001 in Technical/Setup
Hello forum members,
Has anyone put together a really successful FM reception combination? Any "DXers" who have been able to get great FM reception from far away stations? Anyone ever built their own FM antenna? modified an FM tuner? owned a classic McIntosh, Dynaco, H-K, Sherwood, Heath or other tuner? New York City residents are supposed to have some amazing FM stations, is it true? I heard that 90% of all of the Sequerra tuners are in The Apple?
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Ken, (concerning DX)
    I used to think a lot about this subject but I just plain gave up. You just can't squeeze out much distance. AM stations are pretty fun though. The way to do FM at a distance is through the web. I know it doesn't have the same feel as pulling in the stations from the dirt but it sure is fun listing to a Florida rock station while it's snowing or watching a local Georgia tv station (from Maryland for me). I haven't done it lately but I remember using www.broadcast.com and some other ones. Short wave from around the world on the airwaves or the net is fun also. I do it once in a while.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Anyone ever built their own FM antenna?

Does the folded dipole built out of 300 ohm lead-in count?

Seriously, though, I once tried to build an antenna to pull in a difficult station about 130 miles away (shouldn't be that hard, I know). I built a high-gain Yagi tuned to the frequency I was trying to receive. It worked pretty well, though it was very directional and therefore was really only useful for that particular station.

For all my effort, I'd have probably been better off just buying one from Radio Shack. It was fun, and a learning experience.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Ken, I've used Dynaco FM-5 pre/tuners, FM-3 tuner, and the KLH Model 18. They all work pretty good. I still have one FM-5 left (up for grabs actually), and the KLH 18 is going NOWHERE. The tube FM-3, I traded that and a DYNACO ST-70 power amp for a pair of RTA11TL's. Did the swap at the Maryland House rest stop on the turnpike near Baltimore. I paid $30 for both Dynaco pieces.

I have a Carver TX-11a shitholed in my magic closet. I always thought that was a pretty good tuner. It also was warmly regarded by the guy at Audio Classics (Richard Moddafieri?) who does all the Mac tuner mods and repairs. The Onkyo T-90 or 9090 was also a giant killer. I also read all the Sequerra's were in NYC. Makes sense. That's where the problems AND the money are.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Hello,
    Thanks for everyone's response. George, I think the Dynaco FM5 was my first construction kit. I remember I had a problem with the dial string and getting the tuning indicator and station frequency all working correctly. But, it was a good sounding tuner, typical Dynaco, nothing fancy, but great audio.
    I was wondering if anyone had tried to build a J-pole FM antenna. If you do a search on the web you'll get transmitting antennas of this type, but thought someone might be familiar with this antenna type for receiving.
    I've not had a chance to hear the Onkyo, but I know it was Stereophile's recommended tuner for quite a while. Also you find the H-K model 14 and 15 series tuners on ebay every so often, they sound good. The Luzman T101 was one that I owned that sounded really good.
    Regards, Ken