Galaxy S5 help needed...

Options
So, my S5 is dying but have no wish to upgrade and want to just get another renewed one...the Verizon stores I have been too just want me to upgrade. Will the Samsung Switch App transfer ALL my stuff from old to new phone then, including keeping my old phone number?

Have read how to do the transfer and all and am relatively sure I can do it...just too old to want to change phones again :)

Thanks!
Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    Keeping the same number is a discussion with Verizon but shouldn't be a problem, it is called porting. The app should handle most of your stuff but if you go into your settings, accounts, Google you should be able to turn on your Google account to sync most of your stuff so that way you can have two back ups which is always better than one.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • starkiller
    starkiller Posts: 2,723
    Options
    Yep, has a brand new battery as of about a month ago....was doing ok, but in the last week it turns itself off while still about at least 40% battery left....
    Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,877
    Options
    If you are currently with Verizon, all you do is take your sim card and insert it in your new phone. As mentioned above, using switch and having google back up your stuff, you'll be fine. Just know that sometimes it might not transfer all the apps to the exact spot you had them before but Google will make sure they are transferred to your new phone.
  • starkiller
    Options
    Willow

Thanks for the info but actually my S5 does not have a sim card....
  • Willow
    Options
    Ahh sorry. Up here they all have sim cards.
  • starkiller
    Options
    Well, that shows how tech savvy I am not doesn't it ?? Sheesh, had no idea at all...

So, just put the old Sim card into the new phone after backing up via google on the old phone? Will just using Samsungs Switch be enough without using google?
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,173
    Options
    Afaik you should be able to use the same SIM card. Check your provider's website and they should give you step-by-step instructions how to transfer service to your new phone.

When I used the Samsung Smart Switch app I used the charging cable with an adapter that allows me to transfer data from phone to phone. The adapter was included with my Samsung S7. You can transfer some or all of your phone records, text messages Etc. I don't recall using google for any part of the transfer.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Not sure what phone you're moving to, but, if I recall the SIM card in the S9 was a different size than my previous S5. Think one is micro, other is nano.
  • Willow
    Options
    If your sim card is bigger, go to Verizon, get a new sim card, they will either transfer the info (your phone number) to the new one or you go online and do the transfer (very easy) slide it in your new phone and you have your existing number on the new phone. Use the switch app and you'll be fine. When signing into google for the first time on your new phone if I remember, you'll be asked to download your backup. (apps )
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    I've had good luck with the Samsung transfer app BUT it will not transfer aps from the old phone. Just pictures , texts and contacts and such.
  • starkiller
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I've had good luck with the Samsung transfer app BUT it will not transfer aps from the old phone. Just pictures , texts and contacts and such.

So is that what I use Google for then? Went ahead and ordered a phone off Ebay as the folks at the Verizon place I went to today said just do the Sim thing and the Samsung Switch....forgot to ask them if I do the sim swap before or after doing the Switch stuff but will look online and scope it out....
  • Willow
    Options
    It shouldn't matter when you insert your sim as you can do the google part on wifi
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Look on YouTube, they probably have a ton of step by step vids on it.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • starkiller
    Options
    So my refurbed S5 will be here on Monday...will update thread to let folks know how badly I screwed up the transfer :)

Then on to my question about the HP lapatop I have :)