New refrigerator equals (really) cold beer

Options
BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
I bought my house in 1990, and it came with some no name refrigerator. Anyway, it worked fine until a month ago when I cleaned the dust off the coils. After that it no longer froze food, or kept food cold. LOL

I put up with that for a couple of weeks until Monday, and then ordered a new basic refrigerator. So, today (Wednesday) it arrived, and I have to say that I had forgotten how really cold beer tastes. Very good, is the short answer.

If this Kenmore lasts 10 years then I am a satisfied customer.

https://www.sears.com/kenmore-61212-21-cu-ft-top-freezer-refrigerator/p-04661212000P?SID=IMxdCx-CoreAppliances-V2-activeusers&utm_medium=2706_92012_CoreAppliances

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Just remember: beer goes on the bottom shelf...
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Correct-O-Mundo

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    Options
    hhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm bottom shelf only...……...
    oyd5vbbdav3s.png
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,970
    Options
    My beer fridge has beer on all shelves too. I get nervous if any shelf ever becomes bare.
    Nothing like a cold one while chillaxin' on the deck on a hot day.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,168
    Options
    Nice topic. I am currently looking for a standalone beer fridge/beverage center (budget under $500) to put in the garage for beer and wine but, from my research, a lot of those standalone beverage centers do not get cold enough.

Can anyone recommend a good standalone beverage center that is reliable, has sufficient room for bottled beer and wine, and keeps the beverages very cold?

Thanks.

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    pglbook wrote: »
    Nice topic. I am currently looking for a standalone beer fridge/beverage center (budget under $500) to put in the garage for beer and wine but, from my research, a lot of those standalone beverage centers do not get cold enough.

Can anyone recommend a good standalone beverage center that is reliable, has sufficient room for bottled beer and wine, and keeps the beverages very cold?

Thanks.

How about a kegerator? This was my old kitchen fridge which was headed to the scrapyard a few years ago in favor of a new side by side. It still keeps the beer and ice tea at a constant 37 degrees.
    vjjohhpjva5u.jpg
  • pglbook
    edited July 2019
    Options

Thanks.

How about a kegerator? This was my old kitchen fridge which was headed to the scrapyard a few years ago in favor of a new side by side. It still keeps the beer and ice tea at a constant 37 degrees.
    vjjohhpjva5u.jpg

Thanks. That looks cool but I am just looking for a standalone beverage center for the garage to keep bottled beer and wine cold.

I realized, after a recent housewarming party that my wife and I had, that a standalone beverage center for beer and wine would a better option than having all of the beer and wine on ice in coolers in the garage as we did during our party.

The problem is trying to find a standalone beverage center that keeps beverages cold enough as a lot of reviews complain about that and many beverage centers do not get colder than 38 degrees. Another common complaint is the fact that many are made to accommodate cans rather than bottles.

I guess I could just get an inexpensive secondary fridge for the garage but I was hoping to find a quality beverage center.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options

I guess I could just get an inexpensive secondary fridge for the garage.

Probably your best bet to be honest

• pglbook
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Thanks. Any recommendations on a quality inexpensive (approx. $450 budget) fridge to put in the garage to keep beverages cold?

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    0yn01ggkvqm9.jpeg
    I put one of these in my kitchen specifically for beer. I paid a bit more for the Summit brand name, but my beer tastes wonderful!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • pglbook
    edited July 2019
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    0yn01ggkvqm9.jpeg
    I put one of these in my kitchen specifically for beer. I paid a bit more for the Summit brand name, but my beer tastes wonderful!

Thanks. That looks very nice. I would love to get an under the counter model but I need a standalone unit. We do not have space in the townhouse kitchen for an under the counter model. I need either a standalone unit or a secondary fridge to put in the garage.

• motorstereo
    Options
    The problem is trying to find a standalone beverage center that keeps beverages cold enough as a lot of reviews complain about that and many beverage centers do not get colder than 38 degrees.

https://www.dummies.com/food-drink/drinks/beer/serve-beer-at-the-right-temperature/

Apparently 37-38 degrees is colder than good craft beer should be served with "lawn mower beer" being the exception
  • pglbook
    edited July 2019
    Options
    The problem is trying to find a standalone beverage center that keeps beverages cold enough as a lot of reviews complain about that and many beverage centers do not get colder than 38 degrees.

https://www.dummies.com/food-drink/drinks/beer/serve-beer-at-the-right-temperature/

Apparently 37-38 degrees is colder than good craft beer should be served with "lawn mower beer" being the exception

I thought beer should be kept colder than 38 degrees. What is the average temp of a regular refrigerator? I thought an average fridge is colder than 38 degrees (but may be wrong). That is my baseline as I have always kept beer and wine in the kitchen fridge.

edit: just saw that the linked article mentioned average fridge temp is 38-40 degrees. I did not know that. Thanks.

I do know that, if you read reviews for beverage centers (both under counter and standalone models), a lot of people complain that they do not keep the beverages as cold as a regular fridge either because the beverage centers (1) do not get cold enough or (2) do not keep a stable temp.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    edited July 2019
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Thanks. Any recommendations on a quality inexpensive (approx. $450 budget) fridge to put in the garage to keep beverages cold?

Anything but Samsung or LG. I've had both Frigidaire and Whirlpool both lasted decades and could freeze stuff in the fridge section if not careful.

Lowes and Menards were both the cheapest in my area. Problem is most are all now fridge on top freezer on bottom. I dislike those only because cold air falls easily but those freezer on bottom must push cold air up. Both of mine I had that had freezer bottom the blower that pushed the air up went out and was costly...
  • motorstereo
    Options
    I thought beer should be kept colder than 38 degrees. What is the average temp of a regular refrigerator? I thought an average fridge is colder than 38 degrees (but may be wrong). That is my baseline as I have always kept beer and wine in the kitchen fridge.

To be honest I didn't know that either and I always thought 37-38 was a good temp so I learned something new to. I'll have to bring up the temp for the much better tasting craft beers once that hot weather "lawnmower beer" is gone
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    Garage fridge, pick one up on CL for $100 or less. We've got an older fridge on the garage. Beer is nice and cold.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited July 2019
    Options
    It depends on the type of beer. 38-42 degrees. The darker the beer the warmer the preferred temp is to bring out more subtle flavors, lighter colored beer (lagers, kolsch etc) should be kept around 38 degrees to keep the yeast from developing an off taste as it is usually a little more sensitive to temperature changes..
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    d0q1u8ut271h.png
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    My rules:

If you are drinking cheap ****$ beer, it should be blistering cold so that you can’t taste the beer.

I like good beers in the mid 40’s. So that you can actually taste it.

Stouts and porters sit on my counter for a short while prior to imbibing to raise the temps.

My fridge is currently set to 40 degrees F.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • BlueFox
    Options
    On day two, this thing is working great. LOL. I guess there is a benefit to putting off something as long as possible. You really appreciate the replacement. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Just remember: beer goes on the bottom shelf...
    Bottom shelf? We don't need no stinkin' bottom shelf. :D
    k1ml5mgvuiia.jpg