Surrounds from amp or receiver?

Hello everyone,,,
I have just upgraded my 5.1 system to LSi15 fronts and LSiC center; the 3 LSis are powered by a NAD T-955 5-channel amp. My surrounds are FXi30s, which I have left connected to my Yamaha RX-A810 Receiver. Is there any reason I would be better off with the surrounds also coming off the NAD amp, or am I better off letting the amp just run the 3 LSis and continuing to let the receiver run the surrounds? Thanks for your thoughts!!!!!

Comments

• tonybtonyb Posts: 31,123
    You could try it both ways and see which you like better. Personally I'd leave the surrounds on the receiver so as much current as possible goes to those LSI's because they can suck it up.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • monepolkmonepolk Posts: 989
    I agree with @tonyb, try it both ways. I had an 11.2 LSi set up all amp powered and you could feel the pressure at the top of the stairs. But I have done it both ways and the surrounds can easily be handled by the AVR.
  • mantismantis Posts: 15,362
    The FXi30's are easy to drive so the internal receiver amps are fine. The LSI running off the NAD amp is more then plenty of power. If you upgrade the surrounds to LSI7's the NAD will drive them no problems at all. NAD amp are under rated for power. They seem limitless.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • delkaldelkal Posts: 551
    edited July 17
    Surrounds are important in HT for some 3-D effects but they don't do that much. My guess is that 90+% of your listening enjoyment comes from the front speakers. Try unplugging all of your front speakers and just listen to the surrounds. You will only hear some soft music and an occasional sound effect. Not much......and these sounds don't have to be the ultimate in "audio fidelity"

I doubt if you use a lesser receiver to power them you will ever notice anything bad. And if that leaves more power to get your front speakers cranking that will be a plus.
  • Mr. SharpeMr. Sharpe Posts: 1,256
    I second mantis, I've never owned an NAD but the only thing I've read about them is good and way under rated power so sticking surround speakers on this amp isn't going to change much.

My receiver is powering the center and surround speakers in my setup right now and will hopefully soon only be powering the surrounds just for kicks
    Electronics: Westinghouse 43" LED, Marantz UD-7007 player, Denon AVR-x3100w receiver/preamp, DIY Ethereal ESO-1 power conditioner, Parasound HCA-1500a power house.

Speakers: Polk Audio RTA-12c mains, Polk Audio PSW-505 sub, Klipsch rc-10 center, Klipsch RB-41 surrounds.

Cables: Audioquest King Cobras, Audiquest Diamondbacks, Pangea HDMI's (one for audio, one for video), KnuKonceptz sub cable, Pangea AC-14 and AC-14se's, Pangea AC-9, Dayton Audio speaker wire.
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,397
    delkal wrote: »
    Surrounds are important in HT for some 3-D effects but they don't do that much. My guess is that 90+% of your listening enjoyment comes from the front speakers. Try unplugging all of your front speakers and just listen to the surrounds. You will only hear some soft music and an occasional sound effect. Not much......and these sounds don't have to be the ultimate in "audio fidelity"

I doubt if you use a lesser receiver to power them you will ever notice anything bad. And if that leaves more power to get your front speakers cranking that will be a plus.

This is a very subjective topic, it all depends on how you use your system. My surrounds get quite a workout and are quite critical when I'm listening to concert DVDs/Blurays, SACD's and DVD-A's. A whole lot of info is coming from my surrounds, plus I also listen to music in all channel stereo.

I'm not about to place false limitations on how I use my system, and my surrounds enjoy being fed lots of power just as my front stage does. I want every speaker I have to sound it's best and operate to it's full potential at all times.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 ch. 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • crazyjarcrazyjar Posts: 4
    edited July 24
    crazyjar is a platform which is loaded with various contents comprising of technical stuff, daily news, thoughts and a lot more. It's our step towards providing you a way to get connected with the real world where you can get information which can be useful in our daily routine life. It's a way to connect you to the digital world. We always try to do something new and crazy with your help, we can try our best to get upgraded which in turn will help you guys only STAY CONNECTED!!

*Technology
    * Application
    * Gaming
    * Gadgets
    * Laptop
    * Mobile
    * News
    * Lifestyle List
    * Music
    * Travel
    * Health
    * Earning
    * Gallery
    crazyjar is a platform which is loaded with various contents comprising of technical stuff, daily news, thoughts and a lot more. It's our step towards providing you a way to get connected with the real world where you can get information which can be useful in our daily routine life. It's a way to connect you to the digital world. We always try to do something new and crazy with your help, we can try our best to get upgraded which in turn will help you guys only STAY CONNECTED!!

*Technology
    * Application
    * Gaming
    * Gadgets
    * Laptop
    * Mobile
    * News
    * Lifestyle List
    * Music
    * Travel
    * Health
    * Earning
    * Gallery
  • delkaldelkal Posts: 551
    edited July 24
    cfrizz wrote: »
    delkal wrote: »

This is a very subjective topic, it all depends on how you use your system. My surrounds get quite a workout and are quite critical when I'm listening to concert DVDs/Blurays, SACD's and DVD-A's. A whole lot of info is coming from my surrounds, plus I also listen to music in all channel stereo.

I'm not about to place false limitations on how I use my system, and my surrounds enjoy being fed lots of power just as my front stage does. I want every speaker I have to sound it's best and operate to it's full potential at all times.

No argument here. If you are listening to concerts and SACDs you do need good surrounds. My comments were based on the regular guy using his HT to just watch TV or your regular movie. For the 99% just break out the lamp cord, hook them up, and be happy. Then focus on your two channel system for real listening.
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,397
    It's ALL real listening no matter how many speakers you are using at the time. Our ears are omnidirectional and hear from all angles. This is what I'm talking about with trying to put false limitations on how you use your system.

Two channel is no more or less real then 3,5,7 etc. channels. If you like only listening to two channels for music, rock on, but don't try to tell everyone else that listening to music any other way is wrong or not real.

Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 ch. 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers