Played a CD tonight.

Comments

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 11,785
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    OleBoot wrote: »
    Just an ecxmple of how important music can be in a life, but less so in the modern day, I lament.

Yeah because for the most part it isn't music anymore:^ /

LOL. The perpetual lament of oldsters. :)
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • dragon1952dragon1952 Posts: 4,687
    edited July 16
    Yeah, I know. I heard it from my parents. But compared to the introspective, imaginative and melodic music I grew up with in the 60's most of today's music is utter crap. I can totally understand how you make playlists out of 1 "song", and I use that term grudgingly, per CD.
    2 channel - PS Audio Stellar S300 amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5 running Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC24, Matrix X-SPDIF 2 USB interface, Blackbird SSD dock with 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO, Tom Tutay modded EE Minimax preamp, Furman Elite 15 Pfi power conditioner, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Kimber 4TC speaker wire, Gabriel Gold Reflection V2 IC's, VH Audio power cords, Wireworld USB and HDMI/I2S cables
    Computer - Windows 7/JRiver, Topping D10 DAC, Fostex PMO.4n monitors
  • OleBootOleBoot Posts: 514
    BlueFox wrote: »
    OleBoot wrote: »
    Just an ecxmple of how important music can be in a life, but less so in the modern day, I lament.

Yeah because for the most part it isn't music anymore:^ /

LOL. The perpetual lament of oldsters. :)

LOL also. It happens in every generation - my old man's opinion of my records in the late 60's/early 70's was all he could hear was the drums! Strangely enough, though, I can remember Joe Walsh's "So What" playing at my 21st birthday party, and him saying, "Now that bloke can actually play the guitar".
  • daddyjtdaddyjt Posts: 973
    Yeah, I know. I heard it from my parents. But compared to the introspective, imaginative and melodic music I grew up with in the 60's most of today's music is utter crap. I can totally understand how you make playlists out of 1 "song", and I use that term grudgingly, per CD.

Added to which, I’d guess at least 80% of today’s music is enjoyed(?) primarily through earbuds. This often leads mixers and engineers to chop both ends off the audible spectrum, eliminate the dynamic range, and boost the level. Even good music would sound like garbage on the other end of that gauntlet.
    Too much stuff to keep track of.

Currently enjoying: Legacy Focus 20/20, McCormack DNA 225, Bill D C1, Oppo 105
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 8,280
    edited July 16
    I hear there's music allowed up in...

That's pretty awesome if you think about it. B)

Do they allow vinyl?

They also must have a hellava band. o:)

I played an "Ultimate Santana" Cd today on my new to me 12b's. Pretty loud too. B)

I love music!

Music moves the soul! ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,296
    edited July 16
    There was a remaster of Boston Boston that was considerably improved over the original disc, and, the liner notes told the story of how the signing and studio work went. Think my ex took that disc. Was, and is still, a great work. Anyone that says all those tracks sound exactly alike hasn't really listened to it. They have a similar fingerprint due to the sophisticated (at the time) electronics that Tom Scholz had designed and employed, but, the compositions are complex and varied.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
  • daddyjtdaddyjt Posts: 973
    kharp1 wrote: »
    There was a remaster of Boston Boston that was considerably improved over the original disc, and, the liner notes told the story of how the signing and studio work went. Think my ex took that disc. Was, and is still, a great work. Anyone that says all those tracks sound exactly alike hasn't really listened to it. They have a similar fingerprint due to the sophisticated (at the time) electronics that Tom Scholz had designed and employed, but, the compositions are complex and varied.

Some of the best driving music out there...
    Too much stuff to keep track of.

Currently enjoying: Legacy Focus 20/20, McCormack DNA 225, Bill D C1, Oppo 105
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,555
    Yous guys are missing the context of TonyB's post. He didn't say he never heard the songs on the album, he just said he hasn't listened to an album from end to end.

Most albums only have a few songs that you want in your "favorites" collection
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
    joecoulson wrote: »
    MIT superbrains check. Artists, meh...

Well, if he played and recorded that entire album in his basement I would say he was a heck of an artist.
    Main System:
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000

Secondary Rig:
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Marantz SA-14S1
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 1,297
    edited July 16
    Not sure how this turned into a Boston thread, but...

I don't know about you but all my conversations are riddled with tangents and forks in the road. One of the things I love about this forum is you just never now where it's going to go next! ( I still have Boston's original picture album around here somewhere)
    Home System:
    SDA 1C's - Full mod with the help by Dave...
    1000 Va Dreadnought- w/ WireWorld Mini-Eclipse cables
    WireWorld Mini-Eclipse 7 speaker cables
    WireWorld Silver Eclipse IC's
    Cambridge Audio Azur 851N - DAC/Streamer
    B&K Reference 50 Pre/Pro
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    BLE-Design 16mm Power Cables
    Denon DVD 2900

Barn system:
    SDA SRS 2.3's Full mod done by myself
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t
    BluDenso - Bluetooth receiver/DAC
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,102
    Give it time... we will be back to bagging on Russ and talking about damsels of the night and blow in no time.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 8,280
    How about some little Russ's running around. Won't that be cute. :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,102
    I think there is some global accord we signed promising he would no longer be allowed to reproduce...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
    Things just got scary in a hurry!!!
    Main System:
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000

Secondary Rig:
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Marantz SA-14S1
  • tophatjohnnytophatjohnny Posts: 2,562
    edited July 17
    Not sure how this turned into a Boston thread, but I agree with the comments. I had the album when it was first released, but don’t remember squat about it.

Boston Thread??? I'm in Ohio so let's give some love to Marshal Jones and his players!! Skin Tight up n this thread and of course Boston threw down. The first of probably 30 or more concerts I witnessed as a teenager where the band came out soundling exactly like their album (only louder than crap, (that was a good thing in 77) and as hitter myself, Sib on drums was a total bad **** and a great showman. They have an indentifiable sound no doubt (winning recipe last time I checked) that may not be for all but they sure rocked my world for a spell and I was a tough customer. As for the Tribute that carries on....I'll stay with the original since this isn't a Boston thread but more of a thread on the Cd's available from The Ohio Players and ooooooowee them boys can sho be fonky! I mean....goodness. Sorry to get carried away on Boston, It's been such a long time!
    Right on Ker
    Post edited by tophatjohnny on
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
    I'm with ya, Johnny! Original album was a seminal work. Sib was badazz! THe good ole days when concerts were $8-$12.
    Main System:
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000

Secondary Rig:
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Marantz SA-14S1
  • sucks2bemesucks2beme Posts: 4,865

I load up the whole albums in the Q and then delete a few
    tracks I don't like.
    There's almost always a track I can do without.
    But some artists create one that has to be played
    front to back. Few modern artists can muster up
    more than one decent track on a whole album.
    But then again I'm a bitter old geezer.
    I'm just about to the point of chasing kids off the front yard.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
    I want to thank the OP for this Boston thread :) I got up this morning and cranked up that album and had 40 minutes of bliss!

OP's from Boston? Swore he was from Ohio😂😂😂
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
    Man, you think everyone is from Ohio
    Main System:
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000

Secondary Rig:
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Marantz SA-14S1
  • DermDerm Posts: 71
    Here’s my contribution to this debate.
    I work in the petroleum industry and for some 20 years I travelled extensively in a variety of company vehicles or rentals depending on where I had to travel.
    I preferred bringing along my own music (cd’s & iPod) rather than surfing the radio or satellite.
    I would select the artist on iPod or just pop in a cd and let it run end to end. I exposed my self to songs that I feel I otherwise would not have heard and some really grew on me to become favourites even though they were not considered “hits” by the artist.

Of course, not all artists have that type of depth and can produce enough quality to fill an entire recording.
    Some are just a few hits with a bunch of filler tracks that are quickly skipped or removed from a playlist.
    I really do want to like all of them if I am into the artist and feel kind of let down a little to find only a handful or less tracks that I can listen to more than a few passes.
    Speakers
    Front - RTiA9 (2 pair) + LsiM707, Front presence - RTiA3 + LsiM703
    Center - CSiA6 + LsiM706c
    Rear surrounds - FXiA4, Rear zone 2 - BlackStone TL1, Sub - (pair) Klipsch R-12SW
    AVR - Yamaha RX-A3010
    AMP - NAD C275BEE
    Main HT - LG 50” plasma, Yamaha BD-S671 & Sony UBXP800(for SACD)
    Bedroom HT - LG 55" 4K, Philips BDP7501 4K UHD player , Yamaha SRT-1500 sound projector
    Office - Pioneer X-CM56, Bose iPod dock

The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,010
    edited July 17
    I have the Boston SACD, second SACD I ever bought... I've played it twice B)
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,555
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Just like Journey...
    Big fan of Journey, but their CD's and their one SACD :'( ....sound like crap.
    Good Journey vinyl is the only way to listen critically ...sad but true
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

Well, do you want to sell it?
    Main System:
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000

Secondary Rig:
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Marantz SA-14S1
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,010

Well, do you want to sell it?

Retraction......

Edit

Wholly frijoles I had no idea that they had jumped up to 60.00 to 80.00 at the auction site.
    They were so plentiful that like Elton John SACD's less than 30.00.

No Kerry I do not.
    Picked up one off of Discogs for $50. I had one a while back when they first came out, and, I have to believe my ex took it when she was dividing up the discs and left me with the original redbook. I also assume she found out it wasn't hybrid and wouldn't play in her disc player at some point. Small price to pay.
    Main System:
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000

Secondary Rig:
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Marantz SA-14S1
    CDs get expensive how well I remember. 😥
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,346
    Today’s is the day huh.
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - PS Audio SGC - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61
    One two and even up to 7 trick ponies never seem to surprise me. No I can't and don't expect all to open their minds but that's exactly what it takes to appreciate many many groups and genres.

Am I right??
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,346
    I agree
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - PS Audio SGC - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61