Played a CD tonight.

Comments

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 12,180
    No. Not at all. Some songs are better than others. That’s all. So far on the Hollywood Vampires CD I have found two songs to add to the rock playlist, but it isn’t finished yet.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • ThortonThorton Posts: 1,247
    F1nut wrote: »
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    What does ripping have to do with attention span? Any idea how many hours I've spent ripping my CD's to disk? If anything it takes way less effort to stick with a CD player and just plop a CD in :^ /

My thought based on a lot of comments I've read is that people who have ripped music tend to bounce around from song to song/artist to artist instead of listening to an entire album from start to finish.

I probably haven’t listened to an entire album from start to finish since 1977. Since then and now, I still can sit down and listen to music for hours upon hours. Just not an entire album. I would not call this a short attention span.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: W4S MC-5, AMP2: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
    Thorton wrote: »
    What does ripping have to do with attention span? Any idea how many hours I've spent ripping my CD's to disk? If anything it takes way less effort to stick with a CD player and just plop a CD in :^ /

My thought based on a lot of comments I've read is that people who have ripped music tend to bounce around from song to song/artist to artist instead of listening to an entire album from start to finish.

I probably haven’t listened to an entire album from start to finish since 1977. Since then and now, I still can sit down and listen to music for hours upon hours. Just not an entire album. I would not call this a short attention span.

Yes. Well said.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,958
    Thorton wrote: »

I would.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ThortonThorton Posts: 1,247
    Everyone likes different things. Keep spinning the vinyl.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: W4S MC-5, AMP2: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,588
    I like both.
    I don’t like Jesse though...
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61
  • PSOVLSKPSOVLSK Posts: 4,136
    As others have mentioned, having your music ripped gives you options. Sometimes I'll listen to an album (or two) in their entirety, other times I'm in the mood to bounce around from artist to artist, song to song. The other big part of ripping for me is playing background music or music by the pool. At those times I almost always prefer a playlist or random shuffle over listening to an entire album.

I like having CD's for my car. It might take me a few days during my 5 minute commute to work, but I eventually listen to the entire CD.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
    Five minute commute? You can walk that, and with headphones hear an entire CD. :)

Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
    joecoulson wrote: »
    I like both.

Join the list, it's long.

LOL. I wonder why. :)
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
    I (think) you know I’m kidding
    But yes. Long **** list
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61
    BlueFox wrote: »
    joecoulson wrote: »
    I like both.

Join the list, it's long.

LOL. I wonder why. :)

Too many thin skins these days.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PSOVLSKPSOVLSK Posts: 4,136
    So I’ve been listening to my system since my last post about an hour ago and I’m going to give Jesse some props on his “short attention span” comment, at least as it relates to me. I’m in a jump from song to song mood tonight and I realize that when I’m doing that I often don’t even listen to an entire song let alone an entire album😁😁

Yeah Bud, 5 minute commute...if I have to stop at the lone traffic light. I live a little over 3 miles away, but the speed limit is 55 the entire way there. No walking will be taking place in the Texas heat. I’m a wuss😂
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,501
    Many albums are intended to be listened to as a whole, as they tend to tell a story or are themed. Sometimes I put all 47000 songs in my library on shuffle and let it play all day long, but when I sit down and use my digital library, I listen to the entire recording, just as I would if it were spinning on my turntable. The only discs I spin these days are 4K/Blue rays... I haven’t played a cd in months.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • daddyjtdaddyjt Posts: 1,082
    BlueFox wrote: »

That is correct. I ripped two new CDs today, Hollywood Vampires ‘rise’, and The Black Keys ‘Let’s Rock’. I am listening to them now to find the decent songs to add to my Rock playlist. It is a very, very rare album that is worth listening to the entire album.

Huh?!?! You must have some pretty **** albums then :^ / I don't have a million but out of the 400+ I do have I couldn't say there is one that I wouldn't listen to in it's entirety.

Off hand, I have a hard time thinking of an album that I like every song enough to sit and listen to the whole thing.*

Life’s too short to listen to music that I don’t absolutely LOVE - especially since there’s so much of it that I DO love :smile:

*Ok, the closest I can come up with at the moment is Rumors - but even there, there’s a couple that (to me) are so-so...
    Too much stuff to keep track of.

Currently enjoying: Legacy Focus 20/20, McCormack DNA 225, Bill D C1, Oppo 105
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,392
    Bit off the original topic, but, any new disc I get will get played start to finish first time I listen to it. I feel like not listening to the entire album is an injustice to both the artist and myself.

I agree with Jesse on that most people that stream use playlists and listening to full albums is a bygone thing. I do use playlists at times, like when I'm working out, cleaning up or some other project, but, when I sit down to listen to music I choose to listen to entire albums, usually.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
  • tophatjohnnytophatjohnny Posts: 2,674
    edited July 14

Oh and that makes total sense!! Ahh not! It's called the millions and millions of people that listen to what's called the radio.
    Sure, listening to an entire album has its place in all of our lives but selecting 250+ of my favorite albums and then selecting the shuffle feature mixes it all up (lol is that a buzz kill? ) so one can enjoy all of the music but not all from one artist over and over is like a personal radio station with no DJ or commercials which is just short of amazing...
    And I think it's called variety for the attention deficit population .

In with 69😂🎩

"All about that 🎶 music"
    Post edited by tophatjohnny on
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,431
    OK...
    Here's a composition I would not recommend to many of the posters to this thread.

https://universes.art/en/specials/john-cage-organ-project-halberstadt/

B)
  • SIHABSIHAB Posts: 1,516
    edited July 14
    @tophatjohnny
    Good morning tophat. I don't think I was clear before. I do like your point
    of where people want to settle on sound quality. But I do have a question.

For example, say you LOVE Miles Davis music. They have just re-released
    'Miles of Smiles' AAA on vinyl (Kevin Gray) and SACD. The reviewer claims
    it k ills his old CD. Do you buy the SACD and download it and sell it?
    I noted that you have sold off your media.

Further, is HD downloads or streaming the game for you now?
    SIHAB wrote: »
    @tophatjohnny
    Good morning tophat. I don't think I was clear before. I do like your point
    of where people want to settle on sound quality. But I do have a question.

For example, say you LOVE Miles Davis music. They have just re-released
    'Miles of Smiles' AAA on vinyl (Kevin Gray) and SACD. The reviewer claims
    it k ills his old CD. Do you buy the SACD and download it and sell it?
    I noted that you have sold off your media.

Further, is HD downloads or streaming the game for you now?

One for a PM. Give me a few
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • dragon1952dragon1952 Posts: 4,693
    edited July 14
    I always listen to albums, except in the car where I use my DAP on shuffle. Maybe I tend to listen to albums because a) that's what we did back then, and b) I usually don't buy a CD unless I like the entire album, and c) I don't tend to listen to modern stuff where most of it does suck :^ )
    2 channel - PS Audio Stellar S300 amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5 running Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC24, Matrix X-SPDIF 2 USB interface, Blackbird SSD dock with 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO, Tom Tutay modded EE Minimax preamp, Furman Elite 15 Pfi power conditioner, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Kimber 4TC speaker wire, Gabriel Gold Reflection V2 IC's, VH Audio power cords, Wireworld USB and HDMI/I2S cables
    Computer - Windows 7/JRiver, Topping D10 DAC, Fostex PMO.4n monitors
  • SIHABSIHAB Posts: 1,516
    I don't want to become my father (Glenn Miller), so I try to
    stretch my musical horizons. It's easier talking to kids about
    what they listen to.

Oh and that makes total sense!! Ahh not! It's called the millions and millions of people that listen to what's called the radio.
    Sure, listening to an entire album has its place in all of our lives but selecting 250+ of my favorite albums and then selecting the shuffle feature mixes it all up (lol is that a buzz kill? ) so one can enjoy all of the music but not all from one artist over and over is like a personal radio station with no DJ or commercials which is just short of amazing...

In with 69😂🎩

"All about that 🎶 music"

So, you do have ADD......got it.

President of Club Polk

• machonemachone Posts: 1,134
    It depends on my mood.
    Sometimes I listen to an entire album side.
    Sometimes I listen to tracks.
    But I have always done this all the way back to 8 track.
    Ripped digital is just more convenient and in my system it is the best source. It is the best source because that is were I put the research and money.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...SDA-1A (Fully Modded with Dimensional Tweeter Delete)
    1KVA Dreadnought
    Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • gudnoyezgudnoyez Posts: 7,048
    edited July 14
    I'm a full album kind of guy, unless the Wife is at the helm which she was this morning. I like Chris Rea and dont mind her Chris Rea playlist, it's just that when she plays Fool If you think its over multiple times I go somewhat insane.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)

In with 69😂🎩

"All about that 🎶 music"

So, you do have ADD......got it.

😂😂😂Killing me brother. Much love and you know this!!-
    Back at ya B)

President of Club Polk

Jesse=Dale Carnegie
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,642
    I'm one of those guys too that hasn't listened to a whole album since '77. Maybe Bostons first album I did. I just won't waste time on songs I don't like, booze I don't like, food I don't like, and women I don't like.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,392
    tonyb wrote: »
    I'm one of those guys too that hasn't listened to a whole album since '77. Maybe Bostons first album I did. I just won't waste time on songs I don't like, booze I don't like, food I don't like, and women I don't like.

You've never ended up liking a song that at first you didn't? I have many songs that I like, or appreciate, now after hating them at first. They grow on me.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig