Frozen drivers = trash?

2»

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Better yet, use the PR to manipulate the MWs. That way you're not imparting any uneven force on the cone or coil that could cause undue noise.
  • Crashdot
    Crashdot Posts: 182
    If the driver is completely frozen, from fall damage for example, no matter what music you play through it, it will not move at all. Normally, you can see movement with loud bass and of course hear it. All you will hear if a driver is frozen is the tweeter, so it should be quite obvious that something is very wrong. It may sound like a cell phone speaker or worse.
  • JesseS
    JesseS Posts: 14
    Thank you everyone! With a gentle pressure on the PR, the woofers move freely. I'm going to do the JB Weld to secure the magnets, and I'll put some Dynamat on the baskets (Ballistic Hollow Point actually). Next is recapping the crossovers, so I'll hop over to the appropriate threads for help on that. I'm okay with replacing the caps and resistors, but a bit unclear on how to solder the resistor replacing the polyswitch and maybe how to even get to the back of the board since these crossovers use plastic toggles instead of screws for mounting. We shall see! Thanks again :)
  • JesseS
    JesseS Posts: 14
    Then again... I can see a bit of misalignment on two magnets. I suppose that's okay if the cones move and sound fine? The JB Weld will set them forever as they are!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    If the magnets are only slightly shifted the cone will still move. A better test is to apply equal pressure with your finger tips spaced evenly around the cone and push in, then release. If you hear a rubbing or scraping sound the driver is bad.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    A scratch sound, like something is scuffing against something, or a mild sandpaper quality if you push evenly around dustcap of woofer.