I may have just dug my own grave

Comments

• Mattox86
    Mattox86 Posts: 65
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    Mattox86 wrote: »

Speakers haven't arrived yet and my wife hasn't been informed lol. I do agree communication is always best, I have a great marriage though. I'm hoping that if she sees them in place she'll realize they don't look bad, where if I were to tell her before hand she'll assume the worst.

Lol, okay, I see you're going to take this "surprise" all the way to the end, probably preparing a speech such as "look honey, new furniture, I thought I'd surprise you" "and it plays music", in which case, agreeing with Cathy white wolf, prepare for a beheading because "most" husbands know that the wife is in charge of the furniture.

Well, if your marriage is as good as you say, you won't lose your head but as @verb indicated, you will lose your donkey, or it will be removed and handed to you :D

Please, I'm sure I speak for the crew here, we would love to hear the final outcome of this chapter, providing you are still able to sit and type :D

There will be a definite update to come. I only need one have to swipe text on my phone so I should be good lol.
  • Mattox86
    dromunds wrote: »
    If the representatives of the lollypop guild could just turn in your man cards now, that would be great.

This is new territory for me. I think once I had kids I subsequently forfeited my man card temporarily.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    How about a live feed of her reaction? Set your phone on record with a link to here. You might need witnesses. :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Mattox86
    Tony M wrote: »
    How about a live feed of her reaction? Set your phone on record with a link to here. You might need witnesses. :D

Haha, that's the worst idea I've ever heard. That's a sure fire way to send me to a wheel chair permanently, thanks dude. :D
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Tony M wrote: »

I think YouTube and other streaming sites frown upon broadcasting snuff videos for some reason...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    But when you're the victim, every piece of evidence helps.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Stupid thread
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mattox86
    F1nut wrote: »
    Stupid thread

Then why waste your time with a stupid comment?
  • Mattox86
    Stupid thread

Also it must not be that stupid if it's created a lot of response. Go waste your time on another thread.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Stupid thread

I dunno man, lots of us have been in the same boat! Maybe we’re all stupid, but I think that’s probably a prereq for spending excessive amounts of time in an audio forum 😂
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    Stupid thread

Matt, meet Jesse, I would consider (with love :smile: ) Jesse to be the "sandpaper" of the forum.

That being said, Jesse has a ton of information that may or may not be helpful from one day to the next regarding....this hobby.

And he is a great lover of Emotiva :D

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    I bought a pair long ago the wife picked them out, then she wanted a pair of A3s and a pair of A9s, a CSIA6 and a pair of FXIA6s to complete the set. If she is upset over a pair of A5s then dont make audio a hobby, as it is hard to stop once you get started. I hope you are enjoying your A5s nice little towers for a Home Theatre.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Stupid thread

Hey, we've all been there before. We'll, maybe not, my hobby existed before my wife came into the picture. It helps when you've got two main living spaces. I can claim one room in the house, the garage, and basement. Sq footage wise, I'm doing pretty good. The garage is yuuge!
  • Geoff4rfc
    DaveHo wrote: »
    It helps when you've got two main living spaces. I can claim one room in the house, the garage, and basement. Sq footage wise, I'm doing pretty good. The garage is yuuge!

Dig, it does help indeed! My wife had helped me start building my H.T. before we married and moved in together. She bought my first AVR and first tower upgrade (Monitor 70's).

After we moved in together, she let my have my set up in the bedroom. The living room was hers.

Once we relocated, I had a very nice daylight basement, 26 x 15.5.....man I miss that place :(

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    You can always offer the alternative....spend all that money on hookers and blow
  • Mattox86
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    I bought a pair long ago the wife picked them out, then she wanted a pair of A3s and a pair of A9s, a CSIA6 and a pair of FXIA6s to complete the set. If she is upset over a pair of A5s then dont make audio a hobby, as it is hard to stop once you get started. I hope you are enjoying your A5s nice little towers for a Home Theatre.

They will be delivered tomorrow. Might need a day to allow things to cool down before I set them up haha. I own A1's and A4 center, so I'm working on completing the set.

I started the hobby years ago, but just over the last 4 years slowly started to upgrade. I started with a JBL HTib. I'm really looking to DIY speakers and subs eventually.
  • Mattox86
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Stupid thread

Hey, we've all been there before. We'll, maybe not, my hobby existed before my wife came into the picture. It helps when you've got two main living spaces. I can claim one room in the house, the garage, and basement. Sq footage wise, I'm doing pretty good. The garage is yuuge!

I think that's the ideal situation for every A/V enthusiast. One day that will happen for me. I've already planted the bug in my wife's ear that I want a dedicated HT room in our next house. I personally would love to create one from the ground up from an unfinished basement. Right now I'm working with a pretty small shared living room and two young children with no play room.
  • Mattox86
    38m4eiuyyav0.jpg
    I managed to get them in place, my wife was in bed already so she'll see them when she wakes up lol.

So far I like the separation they offer compared to having the A1's located on each end of the entertainment stand. Still need to calibrate them, but I figured I would share while I'm still in one piece. :D
  • Geoff4rfc
    38m4eiuyyav0.jpg
    I managed to get them in place, my wife was in bed already so she'll see them when she wakes up lol.

So far I like the separation they offer compared to having the A1's located on each end of the entertainment stand. Still need to calibrate them, but I figured I would share while I'm still in one piece. :D

Looks good, blends in with the Console nicely. Have you always had that Center channel speaker? If so, she'll never even notice the new A5's.

And...are those coffee canisters?? You could always tell her that you spilled coffee on your A1's and they friggin grew !!!!

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    joecoulson wrote: »
    So I can’t just imagine the conversation you spent close to $4k on what?!? A streamer?!? Are you insane.
    I’m so grateful I don’t get the questions anymore. I just typically don’t say no too much for things she wants.
    And I typically pass the proceedings from sold gear onto her.
    Very peaceful here. Unless she reads this of course...

How bout "what's wrong with all the other clocks in the house? " & "what makes this one so special?"

Tick tock..time will tell! ⌚😂 Happy Husband...Happy Wife!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Mattox86
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    38m4eiuyyav0.jpg

Looks good, blends in with the Console nicely. Have you always had that Center channel speaker? If so, she'll never even notice the new A5's.

And...are those coffee canisters?? You could always tell her that you spilled coffee on your A1's and they friggin grew !!!!

Thanks, you really don't notice them at first, which for my wife is a good thing.

I seriously thought about telling her my A1's grew somehow. 😂 But yeah I've always had that center. Now with the A5's the center seems underwhelming both in appearance and sound, I'm hoping running YPAO will correct the sound portion of that.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I seriously thought about telling her my A1's grew somehow.

I like this option.
    Tell her they got excited...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Mattox86
    So I got a "what the hell are those" reaction, which I replied, what? Two more questions followed and a head shake and that was it. Lol, I think she's accepted it, sheeeew.
  • mrbiron
    Go count the knives........NOW!
  • Mattox86
    mrbiron wrote: »

Haha, no need. She was actually surprised at what I paid for them. I'll have some extra things added to the long list of things I need to do around the house. It's a small price to pay for very little backlash.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176

Haha, no need. She was actually surprised at what I paid for them. I'll have some extra things added to the long list of things I need to do around the house. It's a small price to pay for very little backlash.

Well done sir! Although I was looking forward to the live streaming event as suggested by @Tony M :smile: Looking forward to your impressions on the new speakers!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mrbiron
    She was actually surprised at what I paid for them. I'll have some extra things added to the long list of things I need to do around the house.
    Welp....you'll be dead in a week. Nice knowing you... :D
  • Mattox86
    verb wrote: »

Well done sir! Although I was looking forward to the live streaming event as suggested by @Tony M :smile: Looking forward to your impressions on the new speakers!

They def need a little break-in. I also need a loud listening season to really know what I got. As I mentioned before the separation is much better and creates almost a perfect equidistant triangle from mlp. Sound envelopes so much better. Sound moving from front to back transitions exactly as it should. Panning effects are also on par. So far so good.