8802 Installed

Options
Geoff4rfc
Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,147
It was a pretty quick swap. The Marantz takes up less real-estate than the Integra leaving a bit more room in back. So far so good. I've got more playing, tinkering and tweaking to do over the next couple of weeks as I'll be adding a pair of RTiA3's as heights.

Here's a few pics of the swap.
8hqbvinnv85r.jpg
rrfk35avbobu.jpg
9ws4gsohynn6.jpg
k0dnliu6aqfv.jpg
Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Very nice, enjoy.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    Options
    Can someone get her a tissue please.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    Pretty happy with XT32 set up with the 8802.

Both Integras (70.4 and 80.2) would set the center too soft and the surrounds too hot.

The 8802 has set the front stage very evenly, so far there has been no need to adjust the center however I am experimenting with the dialogue enhancer feature. And, the surrounds have been set in accordance with a well balanced sound field. In the past I've noticed the surrounds coming in way too hot to the point of being distracting, this is not the case with the 8802.

I'm currently not running my subs so the mains are set to full, the center is at 40hz and four surrounds are 60hz and the sound is pretty impressive.

The current speaker set up: RTiA9's mains, LSiM706 center, FXiA6 surrounds, LSIM703 rear surround. That may sound like a Frankenstein timbre match however, there is no racism here, all are welcome and play very nice together :wink:

The "info" button on the remote displays the speaker layout from the source (input) i.e; 5.1 or 7.1 and to the side of that, the active speakers from the 8802 and then allows me to chose my layout (movie button), DTS HDMA would give me the 5.1 set up from the disc, DTSHD Neural X allows me to run my 7 speakers connected.

The pic of Marvell in this thread is from the Oppo 103 using pass through on the 8802. I'm currently using the 4K up-conversion from the 8802 and the picture is every bit as pristine.

So really no improvement on picture quality, which isn't saying too much when there is already an incredible picture. But the real improvement here is the audio set up.

All three units, 70.4, 80.2 and the 8802 all boast MultEQ XT32 with independent sub EQ, the 8802 is the winner hands down!

I've also connected my ERC3 Emotiva CD player via balanced connections to the 8802. I've used a pair of 703's and the A9's for 2ch. I started with the 703's then moved to the A9's. The A9's actually sounded better for 2ch, providing a fuller, deeper sound. Don't get my wrong, I love my 703's but the A9's produced more depth, more fullness....did I say that already??

That's all I have right now on the 8802, very glad I found my deal!!
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    I figured you'd like it. Enjoy! Nice set-up and rack!
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    What fan is that on top of the Marantz and amp?
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    Pretty sure its a laptop cooler if some sort
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    When you do finally put the subs in there is absolutely no need to crossover the left and right mains to the subs if they are full size as the A9's are.
    I could never understand why people use a crossover in a home theater system for their full size mains (even if it's set low to 40 HZ) if they can handle the bass then send it to them by all means.

I'm not saying this is something that YOU do per se.

It only adds to the excitement of the sound when you are watching something that has a lot of bass sent to all of the channels. You would be surprised at how much bass a lot of Polks with the power ports can handle. I have my RT-35i bookshelf speaker (back surround channel) set to large with no crossover. I also have my Monitor 5jr's in the surround positions set to large believe it or not and I have NEVER had any issues with them not being able to handle the surround channel bass.
    Of course not playing big, blockbuster action movies at THX reference level also helps!
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    Hey @Thorton where did you get your Marantz 8805?
    Jealous!
    Do you know when they are going to make the board which can handle the new HDMI 2.1 standard available for those units?
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    Thorton wrote: »
    What fan is that on top of the Marantz and amp?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPR8FLY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I have these on all three of my amps as well, they work great. Not very loud. You can hear them when it's perfectly quiet, otherwise, not at all.
    When you do finally put the subs in there is absolutely no need to crossover the left and right mains to the subs if they are full size as the A9's are.
    I could never understand why people use a crossover in a home theater system for their full size mains (even if it's set low to 40 HZ) if they can handle the bass then send it to them by all means.

I'm not saying this is something that YOU do per se.

Yeah, I'm down with that!

• Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I once considered one of the integras but turns out an amp/processor was overkill for my living room especially since I use the bypass on my preamp And big amp and polks. The integras seem huge. I never fully "opened" up the 7005 I had, never really had the time or used it enough. I hope you enjoy yours, it looks sweet in that rack!
    Home theater:
    43” Westinghouse Displayer
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Polk audio RTA-12c’s fully upgraded crossovers
    DIY 12tc braided speaker cables
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
    Parasound HCA -1500a Amplifier
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    Mr. Sharpe wrote: »
    I hope you enjoy yours, it looks sweet in that rack!

Thank you! I'm still dragging my feet on mounts for the RTiA3's as height speakers and making the speaker cables to address them. I've got some shots of the backside of the rig. I'm using Monolith XLR's for the 2ch set up. A pair for the mains and a pair for the CD player. I still need to get my foam back up on the walls too :)

7bzkbe3d77l0.jpg
    iz75haeouel9.jpg
    11w0vtv0w44j.jpg
    h9voqnbkhvpo.jpg
    d51a1bql8025.jpg
    k4ic5jcrxqh1.jpg

And, I'm still working on cable management!!!

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    Those open XLR ports are just begging for covers :smile::wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    Those open XLR ports are just begging for covers :smile::wink:

You are so right Danny, I actually thought of that when posting the pics : B)