mixing brands: front speakers (left/center/right) vs rears.

Options
Hey everyone. Total newbie AND NON-AUDIOPHILE/fanboy here. So, please forgive me in advance if I seem lost with this topic.

First off, I'm in the process of WANTING to build a 5.2.2 system. My living room size is 11'X15'X8' (L X W X H). Listening distance from front towers are about 8ft. It is a living room that keeps extending out beyond my listening area into a wider space. Hence, the 5.2.2... I cannot feasibly put rear speakers behind me (well, I could.. but the wifey..).

2 weeks ago, I bought a pair of Klipsch RP260F's that were on sale ($600/pair AFTER TAXES.. and might get cheaper because the store discounted it some more, so I'm going to go price match).

A week prior, I had auditioned a pair of S60's, and really loved the way they sounded. I also auditioned the RP260F's and loved the way they sounded too (remember.. I'm NOT an audiophile/fanboy). I bought the Klipsch's because I felt that it was too good to pass up on a good pair of towers.

So here's my question:

Can I later on move the Klipsch RP260F to the side/rears, and go with the S60s and S35 (or S30) for the fronts? I have read that the fronts should match, but the rears aren't really an issue. Where I'm located, Polk speakers are a lot more accessible than Klipsch (unless if I buy online).

Subwoofer, I'm planning on the svs 2000 series subs.

Please remember: I'm not an audiophile, and I'm NOT a fanboy (to me, they all sound good). I don't mind having grilles on the speakers, the look with/without doesn't matter to me and I have 2 kids that like to run around, so that little bit of extra protection is a bonus.

Thank you!

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    No worries there. We've all done it at some point, either by necessity or design. You may find the Klipsch distractingly bright in the surround position though.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I have the Polk Signature S60s for mains, a Big Boston Audio center channel and Fxi 3s surround speakers right behind me. I have one Polk DSW sub and 1 SVS sub. I suppose if I listened hard enough I could hear a difference. But so long as the dialog is clear and the music sounds great, I'm happy. Let your ears be the judge.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • zephyrantes
    zephyrantes Posts: 3
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Thanks for responding guys!

FestY: I did read about the Klipsch brightness but also read that the RPs supposedly addressed that somewhat (shrug.. I wouldn't know). I guess in my case, ignorance shall be be bliss.

Cfrizz: As long as everything sounds better than what it was, I think I shall be happy. I had really crappy no name stuff before (got suckered into those white van specials in my early 20s...)

This is going to be like a 3 year project in saving up and buying the stuff during peak sales (black friday)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    The front 3 should be from the same series for a seamless timbre match. Rears are mostly ambient sounds, so not as critical as the front stage.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,059
    Options

So here's my question:

Can I later on move the Klipsch RP260F to the side/rears, and go with the S60s and S35 (or S30) for the fronts? I have read that the fronts should match, but the rears aren't really an issue. Where I'm located, Polk speakers are a lot more accessible than Klipsch (unless if I buy online).

Subwoofer, I'm planning on the svs 2000 series subs.

Welcome.

My HT went through several different speakers at all locations (F,C,R). While better with the same series from the same brand, you can certainly get plenty of entrainment out of your system if they are not matching...especially if you have a plan to get them matching in the future.

Don't be afraid to buy used. If you're getting something local that you can actually see and listen to first that's even better. Buying used might move that timeline up a year or two :D Hang around here a while and get to know everyone. We generally give good deals to active, participating forum members who have been around awhile. There used to be a rule that you had to have 100 posts to buy or sell. While that is no longer true for selling, many of us prefer to same our good deals for that type of member.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Like @cfrizz , I have a mix of brands. My tears as F1nut said are not as critical so they are whatever works. My center is specific to the piece of furniture that I have. Would love the matching center but it’s MASSIVE.
    I have slight less cohesion with the front stage with movies, but not bad at all.
  • zephyrantes
    Options
    cool.. thanks again for the comments/advice.

psovlsk: yes, I definitely agree with buying used. That's what my coworker told me too when I was going through craigslist. Unfortunately, a lot of the used items locally are from the pre-packaged 5.1 systems, or (older?) CSi series speakers. I did a lot of lurking around the Klipsch, Polk (this one), avsforums, etc... I didn't make a login/posts because I'm just not too into it. It's not like I don't care... I just want a nice, decent atmos setup that I can enjoy. I definitely have learned a lot, because in the beginning, I thought a sub is a sub is a sub and I was looking at any 12" powered sub that was cheap. So, that's why I'm willing to save and spend for a sub.

Thank you, everyone, once again! Greatly appreciate the advice/knowledge! I might not post much, but know that I do read the forums!