Triode Corporation TRV-88SER KT-88 integrated

Comments

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,180
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,199
    Interesting post I just read from another forum:

"imo, push pull amps are superior for rock and orchestral music when you have a lot of instruments playing with a strong bass/rythym element.

SET amps excell with more sparse music, and the human voice. Singer songwriter, smaller classical ensembles, jazz and vocals. I've had both, and have settled on SET, based on what I listen to. SET have more "wow" moments than push pull, but both easily top comparably priced solid state gear when it comes to sounding more real."
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    SET amps are generally lower power, hence the description. The thing is you can get into push-pull for cheaper than SE designs because PP amps can get away with smaller transformers to create such power. SE requires beefy and high quality transformers.
    Nice review here: https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/triode-trv-88ser-integrated-amplifier/

Although they list it as 45wpc vs the 35wpc listed on Triode's website.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    I actually think they have it listed wrong on their website. The el34 is 35 WPC - the KT88 has more power.
    I wanna hear this bad boy after reading these reviews :p
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,610
    edited April 2018
    Before Skip had Mastersound...
    Last year at LSAF, it was the Triode that put life into the room after swapping around 3 amps. It was frustrating, but then we got that sparkle we were looking for, pairing with the Rosso Fiorentino Fiesole

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/178917/lsaf-2017-show-report-positive-feedback
    Post edited by txcoastal1 on
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
    PM'd.
    BUMP.

$1500 plus shipping and fees for Polkies only. WHY is this still here? I need it gone to pay for the new water heater.
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,382
    This is a great deal on this amp. I just told Skip earlier that I needed to not spend any money on anything other than my house for the next year, yet, I find myself trying to talk myself in to "doin it!"
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    @Clipdat Do it!
    Main System:
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000

Secondary Rig:
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Marantz SA-14S1
    I'm sure if I lived down the street from Skip and had an opportunity to hear this before buying, that it would be mine. But for some reason I'm getting hung up on buying without being able to hear it first.
    That's how I buy all my gear, saves a ton of time.
    Main System:
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000

Secondary Rig:
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Marantz SA-14S1
    What do you mean? You don't bother auditioning it before buying?
    kharp1 wrote: »
    That's how I buy all my gear, saves a ton of time.

You'll have plenty of time to audition it when you get it in your rack. Take a leap of faith and live on the edge. Life's too short to analyze specs. Get it home and turn it up, sit back and listen.
    Main System:
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000

Secondary Rig:
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Marantz SA-14S1
    2017 LSAF
    The Fiesole's were IMHO sparkle. So Halen, Skip and I rotated out integrated's. It was the Triode that added the sparkle needed for the show.
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
    2017 LSAF, the Fiesole's were lacking a sparkle that I knew that they had. Halen, Skip, nad I rotated integrated 's and it was the Triode that added the sparkle for the show. It's a nice piece
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,885
    edited December 2018
    DSkip wrote: »
    $1400. Why is this here?
    Because I gotta feed my kids this month :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
    You guys are aware of the situation here by now. It's en route and I want to move it. $1000 in my pocket and its yours.
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,560
    Holy crap. Bump for a stupid deal!
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61
    This integrated it really a nice sounding integrated. LSAF 2017, IMHO was the best sounding of the 3 integrated's Skip had at LSAF paired with Rosso Fiesole's. Halen and I listened for a couple of hours while switching out the units, till we found the right one for the show....it had sparkle
  • scubalabscubalab Posts: 2,814
    Skip - you have my attention...
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,447
    scubalab wrote: »
    Skip - you have my attention, NOW I JUST NEED YOUR PAYPAL ADDRESS...

Fixed...

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,447
    Skip... mind if I ask what your return policy is for buyer's remorse? ;) o:) :*

(hope this is not too soon. :) )
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 10,493
    Skip... mind if I ask what your return policy is for buyer's remorse? ;) o:) :*

(hope this is not too soon. :) )

Whoever returns it will be wearing it as a shirt.
  • Toolfan66Toolfan66 Posts: 14,265
    Did this sell or not?
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Did this sell or not?

Not sure how to answer that. It IS available though. Scuba has first dibs as we've been chatting.
    I highly recommend PayPals no questions asked return policy.
    Main System:
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000

Secondary Rig: