WTB: DD and DTS Receiver Cheap.

Options
vtec11
vtec11 Posts: 82
edited January 2005 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
Looking for a cheap DD and DTS 5.1 receiver. Dosn't have to have the latest formats, but a decent brand, such as: onkyo, denon, yamaha, etc..

thanks..
Post edited by vtec11 on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited January 2005
    Options
    How much is cheap?
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited January 2005
    Options
    not sure what specs you are looking for but pcmall has a Oink TXSR502 for 169.99. I had the orig 501 series while back and was a nice little receiver. The 502 has 6.1 DD EE DTS EX @ 75 WPC not bad little starter considering they were around 300.00 retail if i am not mistaken

http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail~dpno~476907.asp

Pauly
    Life without music would
  • Pauly
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Havent heard anyhting bad about the Denon 1803..older model but factory refurb for pretty cheap

http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail~dpno~113133.asp

about the same specs
    Life without music would
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Don't have one for sale (yet) but check out some of the thrift stores. I live in GA and in the last month I've picked up two avr 5.1 receivers real cheap. Seems folks are dumping them for the 6.1,9.1 or 48.1. The ones I got were a Onkyo txsv727 (100wpc) and a Harmon-Kardon AVR85 ( 85wpc of HK watts). I paid 19.01 for the Oink and the HK cost me a whopping 15.01. I don't know what the penny was for, I guess they were just trying to make a profit. Both work perfect.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • chenj16
    chenj16 Posts: 148
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Polkersince85
    Don't have one for sale (yet) but check out some of the thrift stores. I live in GA and in the last month I've picked up two avr 5.1 receivers real cheap. Seems folks are dumping them for the 6.1,9.1 or 48.1. The ones I got were a Onkyo txsv727 (100wpc) and a Harmon-Kardon AVR85 ( 85wpc of HK watts). I paid 19.01 for the Oink and the HK cost me a whopping 15.01. I don't know what the penny was for, I guess they were just trying to make a profit. Both work perfect.

what a steal on the avr85....:eek:
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Try ecost.com as well. They usually have the same inventory(meaning same company-even ships from same address), but can be a little cheaper.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I've been looking for an AVR85 for some time now...keep my name handy if you ever decide to part with it...
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I just bought it yesterday. The only problem is that it is a Euro 230 volt. Tried it out with a small converter but am going to get a 1500w transformer to crank it up. I've been lucky lately, love my local store: to list
    Harman Kardon CDR26 $24 ( 399 at CC )
    Harman Kardon AVR85 $15.01
    Onkyo TXSV727 $19.01
    Pair Mini Advent $ 8.50
    All of the above goes great with my Monitor 10's I bought in '85
    Twenty years and still crankin. Guess I better go to Hardy's and get a MonsterBurger and Coke ( Quick call 911, I feel sick)
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • vtec11
    edited January 2005
    Options
    thanks for the replies guys.

I basically need it as a temporary solution. I have separate amplifiers but my surround processor broke. I'm debating whether to repair it or buy another. But since they are so expensive, I want something to use in the mean time till i find a deal on a processor.

So, I just need a receiver with 5.1 and DTS. Looking to spend as little as possible, like say $125. Used is ok.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2005
    Options
    make sure you get something with pre-outs so you can still use those amps of yours...
  • MSkeezer
    MSkeezer Posts: 1,183
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Guess I better go to Hardy's and get a MonsterBurger

Uh oh, careful, you might get sued for saying that...
  • vtec11
    edited January 2005
    Options
    okay, i checked out some receivers at ecost. I wanted to buy the denon 1802 refurb for $147, but they don't have anymore. They also have the onkyo sr501 (refurb) for $159, but seems like it might be a little low on power.

Amazon (JR) has the Onkyo, SR601 (refurb) for $199. Seems like a great deal to me. Anyone have any info on this receiver?

thanks..
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2005
    Options
    The Onkyo is going to have a completely different sound than the Denon - just keep that in mind... I personally love the Denon stuff and really don't care much for the ONkyo...

If you'd already chosen the Denon, then I assume you had good reason and I wouldn't switch to an Onkyo out of convenience, look elsewhere for the Denon if that's the one you want.
  • Pauly
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by vtec11
    okay, i checked out some receivers at ecost. I wanted to buy the denon 1802 refurb for $147, but they don't have anymore. They also have the onkyo sr501 (refurb) for $159, but seems like it might be a little low on power.

Amazon (JR) has the Onkyo, SR601 (refurb) for $199. Seems like a great deal to me. Anyone have any info on this receiver?

thanks..

Some like Denon some Like Onkyo. I have owned 3 Onkyos and havent had a prblem. I have the 701 in HT duty and is good enough for me.
    Life without music would
  • vtec11
    edited January 2005
    Options
    spastic,

what speakers are you driving with your 701?

Looks like they are out of 601's at the moment. They should be getting refurb 602's in soon, i might go for that.
  • Pauly
    edited January 2005
    Options
    RTI70's fronts
    CSI40 Center
    FXI30 rears

check you local CC they might have good deals on them as well. Good Luck

Pauly
    Life without music would