Sippin' tequila

Comments

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    jdjohn wrote: »
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    Picked up a bottle of the Fortaleza Blanco today after my bottle of Siete Leguas was gone and, at first taste, I'd have to say I'm extremely disappointed. Nowhere near the flavor of the Siete Leguas and slightly astringent aftertaste? Could just be my taste buds at the moment so I will reserve judgement.
    Let it open up a bit more. I never pass judgement on first taste...usually too hot with alcohol to discern flavors. But I will confess I did not like Fortaleza either initially. I didn't understand what all the fuss was about. It is a valley tequila compared to 7L which is made in the highlands. Terroir is a thing with tequila, believe it or not.

Yes....'too hot with alcohol' would likely describe what I tasted. What's up with that?
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Well, I'm no master distiller, but do have a few thoughts here.

- Besides alcohol, there are obviously other distillates produced in the distillation process. Most of the unpleasant ones are 'cut' in the heads or tails, but I think some still remain in small proportions even in the heart of the cut. Depending on how long a distiller lets the tequila (or grain liquor) rest before bottling, those other distillates (e.g., acetone) will evaporate. If the product is bottled right away after distillation, those compounds won't evaporate until the bottle is opened and exposed to air. I think that Fortaleza bottles pretty quickly. I know of other tequila distillers that let their blanco rest awhile, or even oxygenate it, which naturally smooths it out.

- The other thing I will mention, specifically for tequila, is that cooked agave does have a slight pungency to it. I didn't realize that until visiting the distilleries in Jalisco a couple of months ago. We were able to taste cooked agave straight from the ovens, and in addition to the sweetness (which I expected), there was also a slight sourness in the background which I didn't expect. I think Fortaleza captures that essence quite well due to their traditional processes, whereas larger producers develop flavor profiles that are geared more towards the American palate.

Like I mentioned before, I always hold judgement on a new tequila until the bottle is opened and allowed to season a bit. I normally open a new bottle, pour a little out to sip (and allow more air inside the bottle), let it breathe a few minutes, then later, bottle it back up and put aside for a few days before trying again. It's kind of like letting new audio gear 'burn in'. :)

But hey, Fortaleza may never trip your trigger even after allowing it to open up. I didn't really care for it myself initially, and had to kind of develop a taste for it. My wife says she can take it or leave it. Many people prefer the aged versions more than the blanco.

Siete Leguas is made in the highlands, whereas Fortaleza is made in the Tequila valley. You may find that you prefer highlands tequilas where it takes the agaves longer to mature, and the soil is different, which *can* impart a different taste. The water sources taste different as well.

Here are a few classic highlands tequilas:

El Tesoro (three generations here - I prefer the middle one and the one on the right, but it is older and very rare)
    aszynx65dllc.jpg

Tapatio
    spvsejygbx0p.jpg

Tequila Ocho
    kt9t5zntzgov.jpg

Any of these from distillery El Pandillo (I really like Pasote in the middle of the pic, but they are good IMO)
    1ho8fridk0qv.jpg

Excellia
    0f74yj9fc6l4.jpg
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    All the guys at deer camp are not sippers, they make fun of me when I sip on my Crown Royal Apple on ice. I might try sippin on some Hornitos next fall instead of shots, which means I wont hit the floor and spill all my poker money all over the place :)

They may not have been making fun of the sippin as much as they were making fun of the apple Crown😝😝

Haha funny Paul but I dare you to drink this and not enjoy it...
    https://www.winetoship.com/stillhouse-moonshine-apple-crisp.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw0N3nBRBvEiwAHMwvNkt5rFkYGZ7d8y5nqXyBIILt_Z_jeEubj3pSvo7pxDcQbPLjQ-z49BoC3o8QAvD_BwE

I'm open to trying it, but I'm generally not a big fan of apple flavored drinks, but I will drink a Vanilla or honey bourbon. How do you think I know that his buddies may not be laughing at the sippin part.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    One of my pet peeves is folks shooting good tequila...
    I agree. Shooting is for college kids who can't stand the taste of alcohol to begin with.

Come again, gentlemen? All I do is shots of tequila. It's a great way to enjoy tequila.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    treitz3 wrote: »
    One of my pet peeves is folks shooting good tequila...
    I agree. Shooting is for college kids who can't stand the taste of alcohol to begin with.

Come again, gentlemen? All I do is shots of tequila. It's a great way to enjoy tequila.

Tom

Doing shots of sipping tequila is like playing a dubbed cassette on a hifi system.
  • treitz3
    I guess I am a rebel...

...that takes shots of tequila...

...out of a crystal shot glass...

...and have for decades...

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dragon1952
    edited June 2019
    Or playing an MFSL SACD on a boombox. I'm not one to criticize but to me alcohol should be savored, not slammed for maximum affect.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • jdjohn
    Tom, if you only want the effect, then might as well just shoot cheap vodka.

My guess is that you (sort of) like the aftertaste of tequila shots. Sooo...why not let it do more than just wave at your taste buds on the way back. Sip, savor, and then decide what you really like in a tequila.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • treitz3
    I do like the aftertaste, with the Tequila of choice only. Some nights I take a single shot. Some nights I take 3 or 4.

It's a guilty pleasure of mine that I just so happen to enjoy. Shots of Vodka are out of the question for me. I cringe at the thought....

Now Vodka and OJ? Yeah baby!!!

Tom
  • dragon1952
    I love sipping vodka too :^ )
  • treitz3
    I will need some guidance on that if I were to sip Vodka. Tito's is my choice and apparently one of the top choices out there at a "reasonable" cost.

The thought just makes me cringe, honestly...but I am open to suggestions.

Tom
  • dragon1952
    Most decent vodka, chilled, goes down like water. Put it in the freezer and you're good to go. Don't even have to add ice :^ )
  • treitz3
    I will have to try that. I like most sippin' things frozen but have never tried Vodka. Will do.

Thanks man.

Tom
  • jdjohn
    Most decent vodka, chilled, goes down like water. Put it in the freezer and you're good to go. Don't even have to add ice :^ )
    And therein lays the problem. If you want zero taste, drink chilled vodka or tequila, and enjoy your buzz. If you want to actually taste what the master distiller intended, then drink at room temp. You will quickly discover that fine, small batch, tequila can taste exquisite it you allow it.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Unless flavored I thought the whole point of vodka was to have zero taste whether warm or freezer cold.

• jdjohn
    If the discussion turns towards vodka, I would prefer a separate thread.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Please report if you are drinking tequila tonight.

My woman and I started yesterday afternoon at the tequila bar in El Felix located in Alpharetta GA. There is one at Sun Trust Stadium where the Atlanta Braves play, too. We brought some food home to have tonight so the tequila will continue as we will not be driving. We are learning more about tequila after we read this thread.

Almost two pages of Tequila at El Felix;

buxwp3a51dkc.jpeg

wf40x9aknt3m.png

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Please report if you are drinking tequila tonight.
    We're trying out different margarita and tequila recipes tonight.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    Thorton, we need a good one.....care to share?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • jdjohn
    edited August 2019
    Friday night was tequila sipping night for my wife and I. Sadly, it was one of those nights when none of my bottles were tasting quite right on my palate, but it didn't keep me from trying :p Finally, some old school El Tesoro hit the spot.

@BlueBirdMusic What did you try, and how did you like them?

@muncybob One thing all good Margaritas start with is fresh-squeezed lime juice. You can use a press to do one drink at-a-time, or juice a whole bag of limes, from CostCo or Sam's Club, and freeze the extra. We use Chinese soup containers to freeze the extra juice, and a squeeze bottle in the fridge for making cocktails.

Next is some type of sweetener. Diluted agave nectar/syrup (1:1 ratio w/ water) is of course the natural choice, but simple syrup works fine as well. Again, a squeeze bottle of the dilution is quite handy to keep in the fridge.

Last, and most important, is using 100% agave tequila. The ratio I use is 1 part lime juice, 1 part sweetener, and 2 parts tequila. Usually 1 part = 1 oz for me. Using a shaker is best to form an emulsion between the citrus and the sugar. I normally use blanco/silver tequila for making drinks.

From that base, you can tinker to your heart's content by adding various liqueurs or other cordials like bitters, or do a muddle of your choice (mint, fruit, cucumbers, jalapenos, cilantro), or other fruit juices, syrups, etc. One popular addition is a bit of orange liqueur like Grand Marnier, or maybe triple-sec. I would suggest only adding a half-once or so to start. You can always add to it, but can't take away! Infusing tequila works as well if that interests you.

For pre-made mixes, always check the label for VERY simple ingredients - like the ones mentioned above - lime juice and a sweetener. Tres Agaves makes a good one, and also Zing-Zang. Speaking of Zing-Zang, their Bloody Mary mix makes an excellent Bloody Maria o:) (*)

Sodas can also be used for very simple tequila cocktails. The most popular tequila cocktail in Mexico is the Paloma. It is grapefruit soda (usually Squirt or Jarritos) with lime juice and tequila...that's it...maybe a pinch of salt mixed in. They don't drink Margaritas down there. Another one is called the Batanga. It uses Coca-Cola with lime juice and maybe a pinch of salt. I make it with Pepsi, but whatever...even diet cola would work. Of course you want to STIR (not shake) if using a soda :)

I've recently been using flavored San Pellegrino sparkling water to make a drink. I like the Blood Orange flavored version. It's already sweetened, so I only add some lime juice and tequila.

* Btw, if using a mix, it is advisable to still squeeze a fresh lime wedge into the drink. It gives a bit of freshness.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    edited August 2019
    Zing Zang is an awesome bloody Mary mix....

phqqwcbmgzx0.jpg
  • jdjohn
    ^ It sure is. I normally add a little fresh-ground black pepper. Now they sell it in little 6-packs of cans, which is more handy IMO than a big bottle.
  • Willow
    We don't use a sweetner for our margs. Tequila, cointreau, and lime juice.
  • jdjohn
    Willow wrote: »
    We don't use a sweetner for our margs. Tequila, cointreau, and lime juice.
    That is a classic combination, for sure. Cointreau is a triple sec liqueur (obviously orange flavored), and basically serves as the sweetener in that case.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    My son-in-law, on the occasion of his & my daughter's anniversary, sent me a bottle of this lovely essence as a "Thank you" gift :-)
    It will be opened tonight

sjcdecu3edlm.png

Tequila ArteNOM Seleccion de 1146 Añejo
  • jdjohn
    Nice! Was the wooden box included?

Everything in the ArteNOM series is excellent. If you look at my close-up pic on the first page of this thread, you'll see bottles of ArteNOM 1414 & 1549 in the middle of the pic.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    edited August 2019
    @jdjohn we had margaritas at the restaurant made with just basic stuff and El Jimador Reposado. The bartender showed us several brands including one that was $30 per shot. Had to drive.

On Saturday night some shots and margaritas with this in picture. It was great.

o3pj6rbi9uyf.jpeg
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • jdjohn
    Looks delicious!
  • Willow
    @jdjohn we had margaritas at the restaurant made with just basic stuff and El Jimador Reposado. The bartender showed us several brands including one that was $30 per shot. Had to drive.

On Saturday night some shots and margaritas with this in picture. It was great.

o3pj6rbi9uyf.jpeg

Looks tasty, when can I come over?