maxward wrote: »
    And perhaps overkill.

Blasphemy! No such thing.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    WLDock wrote: »
    Such a lil' cutey...and the subs are lil' cuties as well given their ability to hit a maximum of 121 dB at 25 Hz @ 1 foot. They are heavy but not overly large in size.

150 lb each... 300 lbs of sub-goodness.

Gothams would've been nicer but it was too much of a herculean effort...

:(

Slacker
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Finally got a pic!
    ad40bnh9owpo.jpeg
    yjxg9lu15abi.jpeg

ROCK ON! Our newest Diva B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    Love her slippers! ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited June 2019
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    Such a lil' cutey...and the subs are lil' cuties as well given their ability to hit a maximum of 121 dB at 25 Hz @ 1 foot. They are heavy but not overly large in size.

150 lb each... 300 lbs of sub-goodness.

Gothams would've been nicer but it was too much of a herculean effort...

:(
    I don't think you'll miss anything. The Fathoms will mate up with any 2 ch system out there and add something and not call attention to their presence ...unless you want them to!

Be bass happy!
    8628ea37fc77768ac860c0a7ec34eb6c--audio.jpg

32zmpc.jpg
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Sorry to derail slightly but:
    These remind me of when I used to dabble in car audio, JL was my sub of choice. The W7’s (which is what those ^ drivers are based upon) came out after my time, but the W6’s I had were just untouchable at that time. I had many different setups but the two 15’s in an Explorer were show stoppers.
    Good times.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I have a lowly E series JL in my 2 channel system. I was told by JL when I had a warranty issue, that the E series is a fathom without DARO. This sub is absolutely incredible for its size, huge clean power, and fills my basement with wall crushing bass. I have this sub on maybe a third volume. I can only imagine what 2 fathoms will be like. I would run speakers full range, and add these in to see what you can get. Should be incredible! I hope you’re room is on a cement slab. Mine is, and I still chase down rattles in my fully treated room.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Good points Mikey

I was just going for overkill and quench any upgraditis desires by going Gotham x2

The build quality of a Gotham is insane. 2” of drilled fiberglass. Dual 13.5” woofers. Nearly infinite power amps. 360lb unboxed.

Wow

Talk about end game subs

But in the end, some rationale prevailed
    fnd8cggv4sbh.jpeg
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,042
    Options
    sweet subs! What do you have them crossed over at?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • WLDock
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Good points Mikey

I was just going for overkill and quench any upgraditis desires by going Gotham x2

The build quality of a Gotham is insane. 2” of drilled fiberglass. Dual 13.5” woofers. Nearly infinite power amps. 360lb unboxed.

Wow

Talk about end game subs

But in the end, some rationale prevailed
    fnd8cggv4sbh.jpeg

OMG! You have it bad Joey. You have two Fathom in the house and still talking about Gothams? Of all the BIG dollas systems you've heard including your own, could any of them outpace two Fathoms? How loud do you listen? How low are you trying to go? All the reviews, feedback, and test indicate that the Fathom F113 is a reference end game sub....even though there are more expensive subs out there.

At what point does it end in terms of size and cost? I'll link this just to keep perspective: a list of main speakers from $80K to $1.2M! https://www.octaneseating.com/most-expensive-home-theater-speakers

The Gotham is BIG, BAD, and EXPENSIVE but there are BIGGER more expensive subs out there.

Magico Q-Sub - $36,000
    -Dual 18"
    - 5000 watts
    - 570 lbs
    -Claimed 136-dB sound-pressure level with less than 1 percent total harmonic distortion at 20 hertz and plays down to 15Hz!

Wilson Audio Thor's Hammer - $21,000
    Woofer:Two - 15 inch Dual Spider (38.1 cm) Dual-Ported
    Frequency Response:10 Hz - 300 Hz Room Average Response
    Height w/o spikes – 59 inches (149.86 cm)
    Width – 20 inches (50.80 cm)
    Depth – 25 1/8 inches (66.4 cm)
    Weight: 411 lbs. (186.43 kg)
    Total System Shipping Weight (approx.):545 lbs. (247.2 kg)

Wilson Audio Subsonic - $37,500
    Woofer:(3) x12 inch inches, dual spider
    Frequency Response:10 to 150 Hz. +0, – 3dB
    Height:65 1/16 inches (165.25 cm) with spike
    Depth:27 3/16 inches (69.09 cm)
    Width:18 1/16 inches (45.87 cm)
    Weight 612 lbs (277.60 Kg)

Mind you that the cost of some of these subs are approaching the $20K-$65K average cost to have a dedicated room added in.

If one really wants to chase end game bass that has effortless output, no box / enclosure limitations, and organ music output down to single digits...
    dwarfed.jpg
    ...then a custom room and infinite baffle subs are a way to get there.

8IB15.jpg
    IBrear.jpg
    ib15.jpg
    c5612ecbc78b47e547af7e8afc75d19d.jpg

Again, I would think the two Fathoms are Reference bass machines for 99% of the two channel audio systems out there. That next level that the 1% go after is crazy!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Joey_V
    Options
    You’re right Walt

I’m good where I sit with two Fathoms

People just like to dream haha but I’m sure the output would be room limited in this case. I do wonder if the bass would be cleaner with that massive 2” fiberglass asymmetric non parallel walled Gotham enclosure though... compared to the standard box of the Fathoms... that’s actually what I wonder more than the output.

Oh and those guys who go for those other super subs.... they ain’t 1%.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • WLDock
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Maybe not income wise but very few have $10K-$50K tied up in sub bass. Of all of the 2 ch audiophiles out there, there are a small minority with Gotham like bass systems. I'm sure someone at JL Audio has the lifetime sales numbers. I would bet on average, HT guys have more tied up in subbass then 2 ch guys. There are some true bonafide card carrying DIY bass nuts in the HT world!

b357e7573b279ad0860cb74f40f2e415.jpg

LL

front-stage-speakers-ssow3-768x512.jpg

Sixteen 18" subs - 8 in Front
    LL 8 in backLL

Twelve 24" subs
    1766257ab5ea3cfb2b.jpg
    Post edited by WLDock on
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Options
    2wm70ojib9cx.jpeg

I have stacked the boxes...

Your sub boxes have isolators - they are that good!
    [
  • Joey_V
    Options
    miner wrote: »
    2wm70ojib9cx.jpeg

I have stacked the boxes...

Your sub boxes have isolators - they are that good!
    My kids like to think they are from their toy box aka ring stacker donuts

• Joey_V
    Options
    jpk9qobwmttp.png
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Those are so CUTE!

wzr48nfjz0xd.jpg

I kid! Nice score Joey. I am a BIG JL Audio fan and the Fathoms are right up there in my top 5 subs wish list for 2 channel listening.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Joey_V
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Those are so CUTE!

wzr48nfjz0xd.jpg

I kid! Nice score Joey. I am a BIG JL Audio fan and the Fathoms are right up there in my top 5 subs wish list for 2 channel listening.

Now I just need 4 Gothams to keep up w u!!
  • 98Badger
    98Badger Posts: 317
    Options
    Those TC sounds in Doc’s 2nd pic are awesome. I know what a pair sounds like. Can only imagine what 8 can do. They are exceptional for music as well as HT