Better speaker wires

Hey guys and gals! I have been informed that I should upgrade my speaker wires for the front 3 speakers in the HT rig, so let's see what everyone has and is willing to unload!
I am running them from my parasound hca 2205a (225w@8ohm, 300w@4ohm) to my Polk rti a7 towers, and my polk csi a6 center.
The towers would be well served with a pair of 10 to 15 ft speaker wire, and the center shouldn't need much more than 5 ft
Preferably I'd like all 3 speakers to have the same wires
I can use raw ends, spades, or banana plugs no real preference other than maybe whatever is easiest to connect!
Thanks a million!
I'm not sure if I missed anything or not so feel free to let me know if you need more information!
I live in Arizona (85212) zip code for shipping quotes or if you're local to az I can meet up with you :)
(2) Rti A7's
(1) CSI A6
(2) FXi A6's
Denon AVR - X4300H
Monster 850i interconnects ( not sure what everyone hates about these - maybe my untrained ears are too innocent to know what's bad)
Parasound HCA2205A amplifier
Sony XBR65X900E TV

Comments

• Bgoodfella
    Bgoodfella Posts: 107
    I do currently have lamp cord for speaker wires so pretty much anything will be an upgrade :-)
    (2) Rti A7's
    (1) CSI A6
    (2) FXi A6's
    Denon AVR - X4300H
    Monster 850i interconnects ( not sure what everyone hates about these - maybe my untrained ears are too innocent to know what's bad)
    Sony XBR65X900E TV
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    This is a dangerous question to ask in an audio forum. What is good? For some anything over the basic lamp cord is better (some even think lamp cord is OK). And others are wanting to upgrade their $1000 cable because they think it will sound better.

Some random thoughts to start your trek.....

Start at about $100.

Look on Ebay for used (and pay under 1/2 price)

SERIOUSLY consider DIY.

Dont pay much extra for a pretty cable. In the wall grade cables are OK.

If you play around a lot swapping components get bananas. If not bare wire on the post will sound just as good (you might have to clean it once a year).

If you don't hear any difference with a modest upgrade from lamp cord maybe your system / ears are the problem. No need to spend $1000.

I did say posting about this is dangerous so I am sure their will be differing opinions............its all good. Just differing opinions and what you want to pay.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Pick up some supra Quadrax by the foot, not sure you could do better for the price...

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/speaker-wire/supra-quadrax-speaker-cable-by-the-foot/
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Bgoodfella
    VR3 wrote: »
    Pick up some supra Quadrax by the foot, not sure you could do better for the price...

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/speaker-wire/supra-quadrax-speaker-cable-by-the-foot/

Risking the likelyhood of sounding like an idiot - would I take that and separate it into 2 pairs?
    (2) Rti A7's
    (1) CSI A6
    (2) FXi A6's
    Denon AVR - X4300H
    Sony XBR65X900E TV
  • Bgoodfella
    delkal wrote: »
    This is a dangerous question to ask in an audio forum. What is good? For some anything over the basic lamp cord is better (some even think lamp cord is OK). And others are wanting to upgrade their $1000 cable because they think it will sound better.

Some random thoughts to start your trek.....

Start at about $100.

Look on Ebay for used (and pay under 1/2 price)

SERIOUSLY consider DIY.

Dont pay much extra for a pretty cable. In the wall grade cables are OK.

If you play around a lot swapping components get bananas. If not bare wire on the post will sound just as good (you might have to clean it once a year).

If you don't hear any difference with a modest upgrade from lamp cord maybe your system / ears are the problem. No need to spend $1000.

I did say posting about this is dangerous so I am sure their will be differing opinions............its all good. Just differing opinions and what you want to pay.

I'm not opposed to making some myself I just dont know where to start when looking at speaker wires or spades or banana plugs Haha. I'm not concerned with looks of the wires - more concerned that its rated to handle the power of the parasound amplifier, not likely that I'll personally hear much of a difference as I dont get to crank it up very often to unleash it's full potential, having an 11 month old and a 4 yr old
    (2) Rti A7's
    (1) CSI A6
    (2) FXi A6's
    Denon AVR - X4300H
    Sony XBR65X900E TV
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited June 2019
    You would buy the total distance you need for s pair, if you need 8 ft per side, you order 16 ft.

You would either hook them up via biwire or combine the positives and combine the negative.

Supra suggests combining the blue and red, black and white for a shotgun run.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    I recently swapped out my cables with the Blue Jeans Canare series and have been pleased. I don't have the refined ears many folks here do, but they have certainly served my purpose well so far.

Here's a 15 foot run with bi-wiring capabilities for $72 a cable:

https://smile.amazon.com/Blue-Jeans-Cable-Terminations-Assembled/dp/B01MYWIQ9C/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=blue+jeans+canare&qid=1560199988&s=gateway&sr=8-16

They are a bit cheaper if you don't need the bi-wiring.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited June 2019
    My extra wire isn't long enough for what you want but I do have some banana plugs if you want em for free. I live about 10 minutes from you. University and Sossaman. Just let me know. I have 4 pairs just sitting here.

I believe I have the Blue Jeans 10g Belden 5000, one is around 7 feet and the other 4 or 5. If you want to test the waters you can order another 7 foot run (if it will work) from Blue Jeans for pretty cheap.

All this is free btw.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    My extra wire isn't long enough for what you want but I do have some banana plugs if you want em for free. I live about 10 minutes from you. University and Sossaman. Just let me know. I have 4 pairs just sitting here.

I believe I have the Blue Jeans 10g Belden 5000, one is around 7 feet and the other 4 or 5. If you want to test the waters you can order another 7 foot run (if it will work) from Blue Jeans for pretty cheap.

All this is free btw.

Doesn't get any better than that to start out!
  • codycatalist
    Yeah they worked well for me. I did notice increased bass performance, so much so that I ordered a little bit more for the run from my car amp to subwoofer.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    edited June 2019
    Here are some older Audioquest Slate cables that might fit your need.

I use the same cables with older Paradigm Monitor 7 speakers.
    Mine need to be re-terminated at several speaker ends but when I saw the price on these, I decided I would spend too much sending them back to Audioquest.

These are "big" and "stiff". He's asking $159.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649359010-audioquest-slate-8foot-pair-spadespade-single-biwire-4foot-full-range-center-channel/

lqn8jd1hg5i3.jpg
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    big and stiff were not words I was expecting to encounter on a hifi forum as I sat down with a cup of coffee to peruse the internet...

B)

Nice lookin' cables*

All this is free btw.

That absolutely sounds like something I can work with Haha thank you for the kindness
    (2) Rti A7's
    (1) CSI A6
    (2) FXi A6's
    Denon AVR - X4300H
    Sony XBR65X900E TV
  • codycatalist
    Bgoodfella wrote: »

All this is free btw.

That absolutely sounds like something I can work with Haha thank you for the kindness

No problem, let me find them tonight and I will PM you. Worst case you have some free nanners.

• Bgoodfella
    Bgoodfella wrote: »

All this is free btw.

No problem, let me find them tonight and I will PM you. Worst case you have some free nanners.

Sounds good sir! Sorry I haven't been on much today- we are getting our house ready to put on the market so I've been a little occupied haha
    (2) Rti A7's
    (1) CSI A6
    (2) FXi A6's
    Denon AVR - X4300H
    Sony XBR65X900E TV