Sonus Faber Venere S

Options
xsmi
xsmi Posts: 1,786
Ok, so the dealer not too far from me has between 5 and 6 pairs of these brand new in box hat they are clearing out at $4K a pair because these have been replaced by a new set. According to them and SF, these are the last ones built in Italy. I have not heard these, yet, but was wondering what you guys think in this price range? I know it’s ultimately up to me, just fishing for thoughts. BTW, this would be all music, no movies.
2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Took a quick look....it appears $4k is what they were selling for.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Quick Google search shows quite a few prices in the mid 3s new... Probably less than 2k used
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    They are closeouts then offer $3k, dealer has room. Wouldn't pay over 3400...just my opine
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    I think original retail was between $5k and $5,500 depending on finish.

For the money, I love them. It is a BIG speaker, make sure you have room.

They do better with solid surface under them. Much better bass response.
  • xsmi
    Options
    $4K for the Walnut. VR3, where did you see mid $3's? I'm gonna search though.
    Thanks.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • xsmi
    Options
    Upstatemax, I have a room 16x24. Should that be large enough? I have some freedom on the short side to move the wall back about 4'.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »
    Upstatemax, I have a room 16x24. Should that be large enough? I have some freedom on the short side to move the wall back about 4'.

How far would your listening position be? If you don't have the bass response that you like, can you add a sub later?
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• txcoastal1
    Options

How far would your listening position be? If you don't have the bass response that you like, can you add a sub later?

• xsmi
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Haven't gotten that far yet. It will be MY dedicated listening room so I can sit as close or far back as needed. I prefer not to have a sub with 2ch. Whatever bass, I'm missing, I'm missing. It's a tradeoff that I'm willing to make.
  • xsmi
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »

That's a large room but the Venere S isn't a small speaker. It should do well but would benefit from a nice subwoofer later on. Is your room a lively one? If so, the Venere S might not be the right speaker without addressing the room/synergy. They don't have the traditional Sonus Faber sound, which is why I like them.

I'm supposed to go hear them later this week, but this sentence gives me pause. The SF sound is actually what I was hoping for.
  • Upstatemax
    Options

I think it will be big enough.

My room is similar in size, but my ceiling goes up to a 16’ tall peak with several large openings to other rooms, so it’s hard for me to say if you have a normal ceiling height and few openings.

I personally find their bass to be plenty all on their own, but I’m also not a bass head. As others have said though, easy enough to supplement with subs should you want more bass.

As for the sound, I would say slightly more forward than the typical SF sound, tighter more analytical bass. I would not call them a forward speaker though.
  • xsmi
    Options
    Let me go hear the Venere's.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    Those tilted lyre shaped cabinets in walnut look fabulous!

In the $3K-$5K range you HAVE to listen to everything that you can. So many choices!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »

In the $3K-$5K range you HAVE to listen to everything that you can. So many choices!

Agree!

I LOVE my walnut Venere S speakers.

Listen to everything you can, so many options in the price range and they will all offer something different.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    WLDock wrote: »

Agree!

I LOVE my walnut Venere S speakers.

Listen to everything you can, so many options in the price range and they will all offer something different.

My listen to them was so brief but I I'm sure I could even live with the 2.0 or 3.0. They would be a visual highlight in my space for sure.

Just beautiful!
    P1040510.jpg
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    I really like the look of those.
  • xsmi
    edited June 2019
    Options
    So, I uh, I uh...bought Big Dawg's SRS's. I guess I WON'T be buying any Sonus Fabers.
  • xsmi
    Options
    Yeah, I know.