Odyssey Stratos v Butler TDB 2250

kharp1
kharp1 Posts: 3,453
Picked up an Odyssey Stratos Extreme dual mono amp here about a month ago out of curiosity...wanted to see what it offered compared to the Butler I was running.

Here's where I'll give the obligatory system components list:

-Pre amp is the Joule-Electra LA-100 mkiii with substantial upgrades by Signature Sound

-Source is PS Audio Directstream Memory Player through the PS Audio Directstream DAC running the latest Snowmass software.

-IC's are Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 with the exception of the Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 7 HDMI for the I2S connector between transport and DAC

-Speaker cables are Wireworld Eclipse 7 feeding LSA-1 Statement speakers.

Initially, I was getting a clipping type of distortion when I connected the Stratos, that I came to realize was likely a gain matching issue between the Joule and amp. A removal of the "hood" on the Joule followed by a jumper switch fixed the gain issue...mostly. The Stratos Extreme is properly named as it is a hot rod built to the extreme. It's sound runs to the "hotter" side. It has a warmer liquid sound than most amps that have made their way through my system. It also has a lot of "punch" with a death grip on the balls of the lower octaves. It plays deep and with authority. In contrast, the Butler plays deep, but, in a more slightly refined, laid back manner. This is where I'll mention that I'm running either an SVS SB-2000 or SB-4000. If I wasn't using a sub, and, was running full range floor standers, I might have picked the Odyssey as the clear winner in the bass department. It really has something special in that area.

In my initial observations of the Stratos I mentioned I was noticing a slight glare in the upper mids, and, as it settled in to running with the lower gain setting most of that went away, but, not completely. I changed out the stock power cords with a pair of Zu Audio Mission cords and the glare was gone. Not sure how to figure that one out...I'd expect differences in the depth and bass areas, but, the upper mid glare removal was surprising.

The Odyssey has a good stage that extends deep behind the speakers, as well as both height and width extension, better than most I've experienced. However, the Butler seems to provide more texture and layers offering more dimensions to the stage, instruments and voices. The Odyssey is not a slouch in these areas, the Butler is just better at it when matched with the components in my system. The Butler is somewhat of a hybrid amp using a pair of 6sl7 tubes in a unique configuration, and this may be the textural and dimensional differences I heard.

The Odyssey has a lot of reserve power and never felt strained while going through it's workout. Neither did the Butler, but, in direct comparison the Odyssey was like the guy that shakes your hand, and, though you're both strong he just squeezes a bit harder to let you know he's still stronger, and you walk away knowing he's under your skin because even though he's as handsome and dresses as well as you, he is a bit more physically intimidating. :)

After I got the gain and power cord issue worked out with the Odyssey Stratos I started thinking that the Butler may be making its exit...it was that powerful and controlling. However, every time I put the Butler back in, there just seemed to be that "everything is right with my system" sense that was just not there with the Odyssey. If I hadn't been making direct comparisons I could see me being content with the Odyssey. I started looking for an Odyssey pre to see if there was magic to be made with a different pre pairing. In the end I realized that would only set me back in my goal of obtaining a complete PS Audio BHK pre/amp combo. I still hope to hear personally, or, at least from someone that has themselves, the Odyssey pre/amp pairing in comparison to other pre pairings.

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    Nice write up!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Great write up Kerry.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Shut up Russ.

Nice write up Kerry. Russ is the real hack.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • kharp1
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Shut up Russ.

Nice write up Kerry. Russ is the real hack.

Who's Russ??
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Very well written review. Thanks
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Nice review Kerry. Each of those amps are stellar in their own right, just a matter of which will synergize with your other gear. The Joule and the Butler are like PB&J in my humble opinion.

When your ready to part with that Butler, I wouldn't mind first crack at it. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited June 2019
    Thanks for sharing your experience with these two amps. It sounds like you had a good time comparing them!
    kharp1 wrote: »
    The Odyssey has a lot of reserve power and never felt strained while going through it's workout. Neither did the Butler, but, in direct comparison the Odyssey was like the guy that shakes your hand, and, though you're both strong he just squeezes a bit harder to let you know he's still stronger, and you walk away knowing he's under your skin because even though he's as handsome and dresses as well as you, he is a bit more physically intimidating.

I liked this analogy. :)
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Nice review. Dibs on the looser.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • kharp1
    tonyb wrote: »
    Nice review Kerry. Each of those amps are stellar in their own right, just a matter of which will synergize with your other gear. The Joule and the Butler are like PB&J in my humble opinion.

When your ready to part with that Butler, I wouldn't mind first crack at it. :)

Original owner always gets first shot with me. Don't think it's going anywhere just yet. May make you a package deal on it and the Joule if they do go. I'm really wanting to try the BHK pre and amp combo, but, don't want to get rid of the Joule-Butler until I know for sure. Kind of hate to move the Odyssey, hard to beat for what the price of admission I paid. I like collecting, don't like getting rid of.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I like collecting, don't like getting rid of.

Spoken like a true audiophile. If your going to horde somethin', might as well be audio gear and automobiles. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I tried hording girls when I was younger, then one day I pulled up to a girlfriend's house to find my other girlfriends car parked in the driveway. Awkward.

Hording...I think you missed spelled this word. I can understand starting with the “H” but the “D”, flat out, doesn’t belong.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I tried hording girls when I was younger, then one day I pulled up to a girlfriend's house to find my other girlfriends car parked in the driveway. Awkward.

Sounds like an opportunity to me!
  • kharp1
    Only opportunity I had was to save as much skin as possible.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Only opportunity I had was to get as much skin as possible.

Fixed it for you.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    The Butler TDB 2250 amplifier is one that I've wanted to hear ever since I first read about it here ~7 years ago.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    Clipdat wrote: »
    The Butler TDB 2250 amplifier is one that I've wanted to hear ever since I first read about it here ~7 years ago.
    I second that and would love to put it up against my Belles 150A.