Speaker identification

Options
ultrasoudproductions
edited May 2019 in Vintage Speakers
Hello fello Polkaholics,

Can someone identify the speakers please?

Thanks

ed460nid0e3t.jpg
xgjeua3r6nba.jpg

Best Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    edited May 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    RTA 12B or C.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Answer ✓
    Options
    They're these...LOL. RTA12b's and the second pick looks like a LF14 subwoofer.
    s2iu6mjjnrb7.png
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • F1nut
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The LF14 is a kind of subwoofer, LF standing for low frequency. You could use them with the RTA 12's although pointless really as the RTA 12's dig pretty low.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Also do these require the special cable like others?

Unlike the SDA line of speakers, the RTA 12's do not use an interconnect cable. But, there is a left and a right speaker. They should be marked on the back so you know how to set them up.

Answers

• ultrasoudproductions
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Thanks F1nut and Tony M for the quick reply. Are these speakers that would be used together? Also do these require the special cable like others?
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Either case, you can't go wrong. Snap em up.
  • ultrasoudproductions
    edited May 2019
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Either case, you can't go wrong. Snap em up.

Thanks for the input FestYboy. I finally got in contact with the owner, who stated that they were her deceased husband's that were in storage for 17 years and does not know if they work, there is a broken tweeter on one of the RTA12b, no cables, accepted $50 paypal for all 4 and will hold on to them for a couple weeks.
  • F1nut
    Options
    You should give the lady another $200.00 in cash when you pick them up.

President of Club Polk

• Tony M
    Options
    :o:D:pB)
  • ultrasoudproductions
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

When I say accepted it was pertaining to PayPal payment $50 was the asking price.
  • ultrasoudproductions
    edited May 2019
    Options
    It is not letting me delete this comment so have to write something
  • ultrasoudproductions
    Options
    Faustin wrote: »
    Also do these require the special cable like others?

Unlike the SDA line of speakers, the RTA 12's do not use an interconnect cable. But, there is a left and a right speaker. They should be marked on the back so you know how to set them up.

Thank you Faustin for the info.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Looking at the bottom of the cabinet base-these remind me of the Monitor 11's but with the tweeter on top of cabinet. Do these come with the cloth hats / covers that go over top. Ones the frames usually got damaged &or sagged cloth (cant remember what model had em) ?
    Randy/Maine
  • Tony M
    Options
    My RTA12b's have the grill top tweeter and cross-over boxy cover too.
  • ultrasoudproductions
    edited May 2019
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Looking at the bottom of the cabinet base-these remind me of the Monitor 11's but with the tweeter on top of cabinet. Do these come with the cloth hats / covers that go over top. Ones the frames usually got damaged &or sagged cloth (cant remember what model had em) ?

Sorry, I don't know boston1450 because I bought them with out seeing them,
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    They originally came with a "top hat" to cover the tweeter
  • ultrasoudproductions
    Options
    Faustin wrote: »
    They originally came with a "top hat" to cover the tweeter

Thanks Faustin, those speakers look in great shape.
  • boston1450
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I would first hook speakers up & hear the good tweeter & then swap tweeters around-to see if problem follows with the bad one.. Would be a ideal time to upgrade the tweeters... I would recommend to a amplifier as those speakers need power. Heck of a deal. Congrats n keep us updated on what u think of em
    Randy/Maine
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited May 2019
    Options

When I say accepted it was pertaining to PayPal payment $50 was the asking price.

He was meaning that sometimes when people give you really good deals and lose out on a lot of money due to lack of knowledge sometimes it is better to give them a little more. We are ALL about GREAT deals here but 4 of those speakers for $50, I would definitely give the lady another couple hundred bucks for her troubles and thank her for the still great deal.

If you can afford it, pay the karma forward. You never know how much she might appreciate it.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • boston1450
    edited May 2019
    Options
    4 ? What is there 2 LF14's... Edit. It does say 4 This may require a fair amount of space. Kinda wonder how they sound though :)
    Randy/Maine
  • ultrasoudproductions
    Options

He was meaning that sometimes when people give you really good deals and lose out on a lot of money due to lack of knowledge sometimes it is better to give them a little more. We are ALL about GREAT deals here but 4 of those speakers for $50, I would definitely give the lady another couple hundred bucks for her troubles and thank her for the still great deal.

If you can afford it, pay the karma forward. You never know how much she might appreciate it.

Thank you for the input codycatalyst. Often Things Are in the eye of the beholder. I have gotten good deals I have gotten great deals and I have gotten taken on very bad deals. in this case I have to drive about 2 and 1/2 hours one way which also has to have a value to it. I don't know the condition of the speakers or the grills, if the top skiirts are missing, if there are any blown components or what is working or not etc etc etc all I know is that there is damage to one tweeter. I am pretty new to this forum and this is the first time I hear of giving somebody extra money for what is a great deal or when somebody gets a ridiculous steal of a deal, but at the same time it is something to be considered. All I know is that I would not have gone two and a half hours for something for $250 and not know what I'm getting into.
  • tlainhart
    tlainhart Posts: 66
    Options
    These are the ones out of the Boston area? I just came across them on Craigslist, and came here to ask what model they were. Hopefully it works out for you.
  • ultrasoudproductions
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    I would first hook speakers up & hear the good tweeter & then swap tweeters around-to see if problem follows with the bad one.. Would be a ideal time to upgrade the tweeters... I would recommend to a amplifier as those speakers need power. Heck of a deal. Congrats n keep us updated on what u think of em

Thanks for the information boston1450. I will keep you updated when I get them.
  • ultrasoudproductions
    Options
    tlainhart wrote: »
    These are the ones out of the Boston area? I just came across them on Craigslist, and came here to ask what model they were. Hopefully it works out for you.

Yes, they are the ones in the Boston area tlainhart.
  • boston1450
    Options
    Looked in my Polk files. Brochures on LF14's n stuffdsk4rgxgdcs8.jpg
    dtf18fmuw4xw.jpg
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    qbc8v5y156dm.jpg
    hcbiluto1rzp.jpg
    Randy/Maine