Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Number: 78329124

BOUDREAUX'S CAJUN KITCHEN, INC.

"HOME OF THE MONSTER SHRIMP"

I thought I was ordering a spicy plate of speaker cables, but they ended up being shrimp. :rolleyes:
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,877
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Funny on Hallow'een I walked around expecting to see people dressed up as ICs. :mad:
  • Polkapops
    Polkapops Posts: 267
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Sounds about like Harley-Davidson. They like to flex their corporate muscle when it comes to trademarks etc. Even sued a shop in NY (if memory serves correct) called the 'Hog Farm' or something similar. When companies get big apparently they have to piss away their money any other way than passing the discounts to their loyal customers.....:mad:
    HT & Music System:
    Receiver - Denon AVR-3805
    DVD/SACD Player - Denon DVD-2900
    Outlaw 770 amp
    Polk LSi 15's up front
    Polk LSiC center
    Polk LSi F/X surrounds
    SVS 16-46 PC+ Subwoofer
    Sony Wega KDF-50WE655
  • PolkThug
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I copied this:

The following are Ray Kimber's UNEDITED comments (not mine):

Dear All, (Permission to copy and/or cross post this, without editing, is granted)

There have been some murmurs that my opposition and criticism of Monster Cable is self serving. I would like to respond and give a more complete reason and response for my opposition to Monster Cable

I didn't jump to any conclusions about Monster Cable's behavior toward Snow Monsters until after I had called and talked to both parties, and challenged them both. The result was that I looked at postings of "real" documents on the web that, in my opinion, leave Monster Cable trying to now float a public relations “cover story” that is increasingly difficult for anyone to swallow.

I wonder how many who are reading this will have seen the 1999 article from Forbes Magazine? (If not, send me your mailing address by private email and I will send you one, it is copyrighted, so it shouldn’t be PDF’d but I have some authorized reprints from Forbes) In it, Kimber Kable and Straight Wire were both splattered by the same paint as Monster Cable. While the article was from a few years ago, it is STILL being referenced by current postings and I recently had a reporter call me, out of the blue, regarding the re-naming of Candlestick Park, due to the linking of Kimber Kable and Monster Cable in the Forbes article.

Since my name and company and industry continue to be linked to Monster Cable I have an interest in what is being said, along with worry of how all AV cable companies might be tarnished by industry association with Monster Cable. The Snow Monsters issue came to my attention via someone who thought we and Monster Cable were the same thing! Until a few days ago I didn’t have ANY knowledge of the very existence of Monster Vintage, The Sesame Street Monster Workshop or Monster Away. Nor did it EVER cross my mind that Monster Garage, Monsters Inc, Monster.com or Monster Trucks had anything to do with each other OR with Monster Cable. Certainly I didn’t form negative opinions about any of the above entities by name association with each other, or mistake one for the other

There are many, no, make that VERY many things that Noel as a person and Monster Cable as a company have accomplished in a very positive way, but..., now I have both heartbreak and heartburn over what is happening, I don't understand, Noel's/Monster Cable’s tactics, it "looks" bad and I worry that folks will decide that the whole darn specialty cable business is the same. Monster Cable is, by my reckoning, larger than ALL of us competitors COMBINED! That gives Noel a "bully pulpit", but his apparent behavior as a bully is doing terrible harm to him, his company and my/our industry.

Monster Cable makes some great products, no question and no argument from me. But HOW they are selling them pisses me off, not because it cuts into Kimber Kable sales, it doesn't (explained below). It pisses me off because I think it is just flat wrong. One example: Using the driving of Noel's sports cars as an incentive to sell more Monster Cable. The result has been two-fold. More cable was sold. And! There were folks who likely had NEVER driven a high performance car that were turned loose in an unfamiliar car, on unfamiliar PUBLIC roads with a "just met" MC employee as co-pilot/chaperone. I hope/suppose that there were “ground rules”, but sheesh! what could anyone expect?, that these sales folks were motivated to sell more Monster Cable with the goal of driving a dream performance car like Aunt Mable drives her Buick? Uh huh?!? Well, the Forbes article talks about an incident that went wrong, very wrong. When does a sales incentive, by amount and extent, go from "compensating" to "corrupting"?

The reason that Monster Cable doesn't much compete with Kimber Kable is that we don't sell in the same stores, and wouldn't even try. The folks that go to Radio Shack (now selling Monster Cable, BTW) to buy a VCR don't need, and don't deserve to be pitched on, special wire of any kind. That customer’s needs and expectations are COMPLETELY met with ordinary products. If the compensation and pressure to sell that customer "special wires" is high enough then sales WILL certainly be made. But I won't pay that extent of incentive AND won't apply that kind of pressure to Kimber Kable dealers to make THAT kind of sale. I wouldn't be able to explain such sales to my mom and I wouldn't want such sales methods directed at my mom. Sometimes it is good to apply the “mommy test” to situations to see if it is OK.

My anger and opposition to Monster Cable has nuthin' to do with Monster Cable products and everything to do with how pissed I am at overselling and the corrupting influence of incentives and pressure that are WAY WAY WAY out of proportion. Not to mention the ridiculous trademark actions. You don’t see Mother’s Car Wax going after Mother Teresa, now do ya?

Most electronics consumers don't need fancy cables, mine or anyone else’s!!! It is only when the natural interest and knowledge of the consumer correlates with equipment that will compliment the fancy cable that such a sale should be considered. The rewards and pressure to sell Monster Cable are evidently so high as to override the good sense of the seller as to which customer REALLY should be EVER be pitched.

I have NEVER!!! bought a power protection bar, Monster Cable’s or otherwise to go with my consumer electronics hardware purchases. My knowledge of the usual good power line quality and that hardware (even the cheap stuff) is pretty resilient to a little power junk AND!

my knowledge that if I REALLY TRULY did need some protection that I couldn't buy it for $100.00

makes me NOT a target for such sales. I have the knowledge that if I'm buying a $199.00 VCR I won't gain (and shouldn't expect) any useful increase in performance from any power bar or fancy cables. Without that knowledge I don’t want to be a target, like an unaware fish, to be hooked with some bait.

I don't like the idea of having my family and friends sold something/anything because they didn't know enough to form a sensible purchase decision. I don't want any Kimber Kable dealer to make such a sale of my product. I would be kidding myself if I laid out huge incentives to sell Kimber Kable and then imagined that ONLY folks who understood and appreciated fancy cables would be sold Uh Huh ?!? Well, EVERY customer is someone’s friend or family, they deserve to be treated as such.

So, will a boycott of Monster Cable shift all those sales to Kimber Kable, nope, cuz, my mom wouldn't "get it" if I tried to explain why it should. What would/should happen is that just-as-good-for-the-application less expensive product, like Belkin, Panamax, WestPenn or Carol, will be sold instead, at a much lower price. AND by eliminating the high pressure and high rewards the sales will drop to levels that more closely match the needs and expectations of the customer. So a boycott of Monster Cable, in my opinion, won't and shouldn't shift “real” sales to me or any other fancy cable company. What it will do is STOP the over-selling of, albeit fine, products. Remove the artificial props of, what looks to me like, PAYOLA!, and the over-reaching sales will evaporate and not be “shifted” to me or anyone else.

If Monster Cable's tactics are as bad as they appear regarding Snow Monsters, Monster Vintage and Monster Away, then I think they should stop it now AND go back and un-do some stuff, give back previous arm-twisted trademarks and agreements, and make amends to all others that were beat up. (BTW, Monster Away was a water pistol to be sold to children so they could give a little Monster Away squirt under the bed before they went to sleep. Monster Cable opposed the trademark application?!? I looked at the list of actions in the Trademark office, seems to me like Monster Cable just flat wore them out of money and/or will and/or spirit)

Noel/Monster Cable seems not to have learned much from the damning 1998 Forbes article. It won't be enough for me to just have Monster Cable just say "sorry" to Snow Monsters, because I truly believe that they will just continue on their merry way and view an occasional "sorry" as a cost of business. I want to see a "righting" of past "wrongs" and a removal of either Monster Cable's will or means to mount future over-reaching sales tactics and over-reaching trademark tactics.

So, I am going to ask Monster Cable folks some questions. I have already sent Dave Tognotti (Monster Cable’s Attorney) an email on 12/28/2004, no answer yet. I have been, and am going to be further, alerting friends and family to the www.stopthemonster.com site. I will say something, and why, to folks in the stores that are selling Monster Cable.

I am super uncomfortable with taking a stand against Monster Cable, not my style, and it would be perfectly logical for someone to view my opposition as self serving. But I can’t stand by quietly any longer and still be able to explain to my mom why I didn’t speak up.

It sucks that good products need to boycotted in order to stop the overselling and to choke off the profits that finance attacks on Snow Monsters and such.

My bottom line and sincere opinion is; I want to see Monster Cable stop the hurtful damage they are doing, apologize and make amends, correct past similar situations and further; to pay some significant Penitence.

Kind regards,

Ray Kimber (Permission to copy and/or cross post this, without editing, is granted)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Bravo Mr. Kimber, Bravo!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• MSkeezer
    MSkeezer Posts: 1,183
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Mr. Kimber hit it right on the money. I've been sick and tired of Monster Cables's tactics for a while now, especially when it comes to making a sale. These lawsuits only add insult to injury. I'm not saying that Monster doesn't make good products-they do. I still have some fine Monster cables lying around the house somewhere. But, after this, am I using them anymore? #*&^ no! Nor will I ever purchase another cable with the name Monster on it.

A couple of years back, I went to Ultimate Electronics to purchase a second dvd player. Nothing fancy or expensive. Just something reliable for use in the bedroom. I went into the store with a good idea of what I wanted and how much I wanted to spend. A salesperson approached me and asked if I needed any help, so I said sure. I told him what I wanted, how much I wanted to spend. He helped me pick out a fairly inexpensive player, a JVC. I think it was around $70. Things went smoothly, we had the player in hand, on the way to the checkout, when he pitched it. He suggested a Monster S video cable that cost more than the f*$#@ing player itself. Inside, I'm like WTF is wrong with you? But, calmy, I told him no thanks, I've got all the cables I need, etc. I was pissed about being pitched a frickin cable that costs more than the player itself. I might understand if I just spent $500 on a dvd player, but no. It was a $70 player. Nothing fancy. No bells or whistles. But whatever. Life goes on, I got over it, no big deal. THIS is what really bites. I went back to the store about a week later for something(spkr cables, I think), and a couple of nice ladies walk in, I'm guessing in their early 40's. They looked to be of the low income type, you know. Turns out they were looking for a cheap dvd player, and the salesman that "helped" me out a week earlier assisted them. I was over looking at speaker cable, about 10 feet away from them. They told him they wanted something cheap, something for basic dvd viewing. No bigscreen tv, no home theater system, you get the idea. He suggested the same player I had gotten a week earlier. So, they went with it. This **** then suggests cables. He goes over to the cable section, and shows then an s video cable. This one was about $45 or something like that. He tells them the so-called importance of going with better cables than the ones that are in the box. Now, this is something we can all generally agree with, but, given this type of customer, this was over the line. I was hoping they wouldn't buy into it, but eventually, he conned them into buying a cable that about half as much as the player itself. Complete bulls***. These aren't the type of people that are going to notice any difference in quality. They just wanted a basic, no bulls*** player, you know, just to have one. And this slimy rat of a bast**d cons them into buying something they don't need and something they won't get any benifit from. That was what tuned me off from Monster. This is how they want their stuff sold. They're going after the ingorant and the helpless. People that will believe anything you tell them. They don't know any better, and it pisses me off. Mr. Kimber couldn't have said it better...

"Most electronics consumers don't need fancy cables, mine or anyone else’s!!! It is only when the natural interest and knowledge of the consumer correlates with equipment that will compliment the fancy cable that such a sale should be considered. The rewards and pressure to sell Monster Cable are evidently so high as to override the good sense of the seller as to which customer REALLY should be EVER be pitched....

...makes me NOT a target for such sales. I have the knowledge that if I'm buying a $199.00 VCR I won't gain (and shouldn't expect) any useful increase in performance from any power bar or fancy cables. Without that knowledge I don’t want to be a target, like an unaware fish, to be hooked with some bait..."

From now on, as far as I'm concerned, Monster and all of its executives can rot in hell...
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I will not in any way shape or form purchase or recommend a Monster Cable product until death do us part.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    I will not in any way shape or form purchase or recommend a Monster Cable product until death do us part.

Same here. I own one (1) Monster Cable® interconnect that is in use in my office rig and bought before I knew any better. It will be the last Monster Cable® product I ever purchase.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • sowen010599
    sowen010599 Posts: 343
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I would buy a "Monster Away". I think that is quite an idea.

Monster Cable can go off and FN DIE! Suing a company that makes a squirt gun to run off monsters. Geeeezus! Maybe we should call them "reality challenged over-sized individuals".
    Go BIG or go home!
  • PolkThug
    edited January 2005
    Options
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I will NEVER buy another Monster cable product. I'll sooner take the metal plate out of my head and procure my cablings with it, than support their horrendous practices. They truly have no shame.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited January 2005
    Options
    MSkeezer,

This is in no defense of MC. The only reason you were shown a 2 meter $70 cable was because the price of decent cables has not changed, but the price of decent DVD players has most certainly plummeted. If you walked into a store 3 years ago and bought the same quality player for $649 and someone offered you the same cable for $70 then that would seem more like a worthy investment, wouldn’t it? The sale was based upon the fact that the cables that come in the box (reguardless of price) are short and they suck ****. That player does not come with the right cables because everyone’s needs are different in terms of length and quality depending upon your entire system. S-video (the cable) provides a noticeable difference in picture quality by reducing distortions caused by the filter circuit in your TV that tries to separate the black and white from the color using conventional composite cables. You can see this distortion even if your an old lady looking for a basic player and your tv is only "15.
    Your salesman was just maximizing his paycheck by showing you cables that cost more than the player. This is not drilled into us by Monster.

Now, could he have shown you an s-video cable for less money? Sure, but the $70 cable is made better than the $10 cable, has a lifetime guarantee (even if you break the freak’n pins off yourself) bring it back in and you get an instant swap out with or without your receipt. I do that swap out on almost a daily basis and most people don’t realize that you can bring them back anytime even if you jack them up yourself, this is one of the few reason’s I like to sell MC. I am not condoning the practices of Monster and I never have. I’ve always hated their bully tactics and some of their lines suck **** for the money, but most companies have similar products that do not provide maximum value (Those $600 Kimber’s are not exactly worth every penny).

MC’s business tactics on the other hand is a worthy fight and has got my panties in a bunch as well. All of my fellow salesmen are in agreement on this issue. If you ask me, the questions and concerns on this matter should not be sent to the blood sucking vampire “lawyer”, but to Noel’s company directly, because lawyer’s can lie to their clients about what the sane truth actually is, just as easily as they can send us the **** replies. Can you imagine how much money and time this means for Dave by attacking everyone!! Noel “did you know your pit bull jumped the fence today and chewed up our neighbor’s baby?”
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."