Memorial Day Karma...

Options
nooshinjohn
nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
edited May 2019 in The Clubhouse
Up for Karma is the Beatles Stereo Box Set on CD... very good condition and only played once and then ripped to my hard drive. I will even cover the shipping. The way to enter is to simply post a small tribute to a Veteran in your family that has touched your life in some way.

My Grandfather on my mother's side was a waist and tail gunner on B-17's over Europe. He was over Ploesti, and many times over Berlin. He was wounded in the thigh and back by enemy fire on what was to have been his last mission in the summer of 1944.

My other Grandfather on my dad's side was getting on the train that would have taken him to New York with his Army unit out of Fort Bragg when he slipped on the boarding steps. He fell backwards to the ground, breaking his wrist and his leg as it got caught up between rungs on the ladder. He got reassigned stateside afterwards, which was good for me, because the rest of his old unit took some of the worst fire on D-day.

And last but not least, my stepfather was a tail-gunner on B-25's during the last months of the European war, and when combat operations ceased, he served as an MP at an airbase in the UK. They made an MP out of him because he said his CO felt that seeing as though he spent so much time in the brig for fighting, he may as well have a legit reason for being there. :p

May they all rest in peace...
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,575
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Wonderful Karma John.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    My condolences to you and your family...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Grandad was SAS and was first across the German lines setting bombs and traps before D day. Balls of steel.
    He survived the war, but not alcoholism. My dad never met him, but he was and always will be a hero for us.
    Middle front row.

Btw great karma. If applicable, in with 68 (my dads age)

cz8lok41odg8.png
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    My Father served in the Army in WWII. He was a Sargent in North Africa who commanded a half track with four 50's on it. During the landing a plane attacked the beach and he shot it down which saved many lives. He and another Texan were the first Texans to receive the Silver Star from Texas in WWII.

He later just missed getting killed when a 500 lb bomb landed near him. He made it to a fox hole just in time and was saved, but it messed up his hearing some.

Great Karma John.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Keep the posts coming guys... after all, this is what memorial day is all about. B)

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    My grandfather on my father’s side served in the 113th Horse Calvary prior to WWII. They were called to action and converted to a mechanized armored Calvary unit and he served under Patton’s Second Armored Division from D-Day (Omaha Beach) through the end of the war. They were one of the first units to meet up with the Russians in Germany and he was sent to scout German held villages several times throughout the campaign.
    He received 3 Purple Hearts and 2 Bronze Stars for his various heroics throughout the war and was active with keeping his unit’s reunions going until he was the last surviving member of the troop.
    He passed away last year and I was honored to have been left the majority of his war memorabilia including a Luger he took off the body of a German SS officer he had killed in hand to hand combat during one of his scouting missions when he stumbled upon my grandfather’s hiding spot.
    I was honored to play the Saga of the Red Horse during his funeral and was asked, along with my father and my nephew to give 3 generations of eulogy.

http://redhorse.nl/113th_Cavalry_Group_in_WWII_video.htm

He served along with his 4 younger brothers (B17 Radio Operator, Marine in the Pacific theater, 2 infantrymen in the ETO). They all preceded him in death of natural causes well into their 80s and 90s.

His father, my great grandfather served as a mounted cavalry scout and sharpshooter in WWI and earlier in the Spanish-American war in Cuba and Puerto Rico.
    The only real history I know of my great grandfather outside of that was that he was an accomplished boxer and a highly decorated sharpshooter who won countless medals in target shooting competitions and his competition rifles are still in the family gun collection today.

My grandfather on my mother’s side was a first generation Italian American and was one of the first from his area of New Hampshire to enlist in the Army leading up to WWII.
    Unfortunately, I didn’t know him that well but was at his bedside when he passed in 1992 shortly after my aunt’s wedding.

My uncle John was an artilleryman in Vietnam.
    My dad was injured in a car accident and lost his leg 3 weeks before he was to receive his draft notice. My mother was in the car as well and was pregnant with my older sister at the time. They were both unharmed. To this day, my father regrets that he was unable to serve and was actually looking forward to it having voluntarily attended Military school throughout Junior High and High School.

These men and women have always been my heroes. They are the reasons that I chose to serve as well. I feel that we owe those who sacrificed everything all the honor and respect we can give them. In this life and the next.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Very good karma, John. Not in, but, great karma and nice to read the entries.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Not in but:

My grand dad on moms side was an anti-air gunner in the Navy in WWII. His mom signed for him to join at late 16 yrs old and he turned 18 passing through the Panama Canal of all places. He served in most of the major naval battles in the Pacific, and never talked about it till his last decade or so of life. Turns out he made friends with Ernie Pyle, and was floating offshore when he got shot. He also had to “fight in his birthday suit” once. He was lathered up in the shower, alarms go off, and he had to run to his 20mm AA gun and slip and slide buck naked on it while firing at Zeros.. He talked about a zero flying so low next to his ship that he and the pilot both locked eyes for a second and just stared at each other before fighting on. He ended up earning a bronze star, and had to sneak onto a ship on Japan to make it back to the states at the end of the war.

While his war stories were amazing, I’ve never met a more kind and humble man. Whenever I hear “You Are My Sunshine”, I can’t stop from smiling and thinking about you pepa.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,971
    Options
    My dad was a lifer in the USAF. Served in the Korean conflict loading B17's. After that he was a small arms instructor for many years which messed his hearing. Was fun shooting with him at the firing range but I could never match his expert marksman status. RIP dad.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Options
    My dad retired as an SMSGT in the USAF after 22 years of service. He joined in Vietnam and crew chiefed F-4s in Thailand during the conflict. He didnt spend much time actually in Vietnam, but had to go to a couple of bases there to rescue squadron aircraft that couldn’t make it back to Thailand. In addition to F-4’s he worked on A-10s, was an FTD instructor for F-16s at Nellis, spent 5 years working on the U-2/TR-1, and always put is family first.

I don’t have much beyond that bc he doesn’t really care to talk about it. When I ask, “how did you get this ribbon/medal?” The answer is always “I dunno, we just did our jobs.” Lucky to have such a great dad in my life.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    Options
    Great karma, and fitting tribute.

My father served on a US Navy sub tender in the SoPac during WWII. Like so many vets, he never spoke of those experiences. But, came the '70s and he was diagnosed with a bad heart. Turned out that he had contracted rheumatic fever during the war. It damaged his heart, and this was in the days when transplant was still years away for the average GI Joe. His passing in 1974, is still one of my most vivid memories. I wish we had many more, and later. His final "gift" to me was unexpected and critical to my future. Being declared a "war orphan" entitled my brother and me to VA benefits. Not a huge amount, but enough to cover personal expenses during graduate school.

Just wish I'd had a chance to thank him, and didn't do that sufficiently while he was alive. RIP Dad.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,077
    Options
    World War II
    Family Member on my mother's side of family
    My uncle, Ruben (Bud) Long, joined the Army and was sent overseas on a troop ship through the North Atlantic to England. He told family of the treacherous voyage with gigantic waves and everyone seasick.

In England, he volunteered to be a passenger in one of the gliders as the gliders were being tested for the Normandy invasion. On D-Day, he was a member of the invasion force. He always hesitated to talk of the bloody aspects of the invasion.

As a member of General Patton's Third Army, he was was a member of the initial forces that entered Paris. Next, he fought at the Battle of the Bulge. There he was a member of the ski-patrol under Patton fighting in the snow.

Uncle Bud, made it home to family after the war. From Haralson County Georgia.

Family Member on fathers side of family
    My uncle, Samuel S Jones, served in the Army Air Force in the Philippines. He suffered from Malaria while serving there which doctors think contributed to his death by lung cancer later in life. Uncle Sam was my dad's brother and lived next door in the family's home place. Living across the field, my first cousin and I loved to play with the items in his Army green footlocker as kids. From Haralson County Georgia.

My uncle, Harold Jones, served in the Navy and was a crew member on the USS Battleship California that sank at Pearl Harbor. He was not on the ship on Dec 7. From Haralson County Georgia.

Korean War
    My first cousin, Donnie Rogers, served in the Korean War. He was a member of the airborne and often talked of the thrills of parachuting out of a plane. Related: My next door neighbor is a veteran from the first Iraqi war and his wife is from Korea. He is from Porto Rico and was injured in Iraqi.

Vietnam War
    Family Member on my mother's side of family
    My cousin, Dewey "Wayne" Waddell, served in the US Air Force. Wayne Waddell was a Prisoner of War in North Vietnam after he was shot down on July 5, 1967 and was held until his release on March 4, 1973. He graduated from GA Tech with a degree in EE and almost immediately went to pilot training. He was flying a F-105 Thunderchief. He was awarded the Silver Star. During high school, I worked at the first modern huge supermarket in Bremen owned by my first cousin Donnie Rogers (above), and and I would see Wayne's mother every week. She was always strong. From Bremen Georgia in Haralson County Georgia.

Last year, I was watching some stories on TV about Vietnam, and here comes Wayne Waddell telling his own story. I knew about the written stories that I have linked to below, but seeing him on TV was great.

His story in own words (https://www.pownetwork.org/bios/w/w058.htm)
    His story in Time Magazine (http://time.com/4932924/vietnam-pow-photo-story/)
    mwm7ld6qnzxk.jpg

My classmate at Buchanan High School, Larry Hurston, was killed in action. He was a helicopter gunman. A wonderful, kind, gentle friend and neighbor. "Not a bad bone in his body". He was already on the school bus every morning when I boarded.

0nkhvdbip5ck.jpg

My friend from Bremen Georgia. Denver Johnson was killed in action in ground action. I will never forget walking into the funeral home and seeing him in uniform lying in the casket. I met him while he and I worked at the Bremen Supermarket. His dad was a barber next door.

2r01qii5lwki.jpg

****************************************************************************
    I would be remiss if I did not list this man from Felton GA in Haralson County.

I did not personally know him, but he was a hero. Everyone there knew his name.

A road between Buchanan GA and Tallapoosa GA was named in his honor.
    ****************************************************************************
    Sergeant Ray McKibben
    Medal of Honor
    8eewh7055ra5.jpg
    3z80ujp71cs0.jpg

Thanks to all of you who served.

Sincerely,
    Harry Jones
    Marietta Georgia
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    GREAT Karma, not in.

To my Great Uncle Wayne & Uncle Burton who survived Dec 7th 1941 may you continue to rest in peace.

Thank you both for your service.

Although the family stories are still told on how you both spoiled my Mom rotten, thank you for being so instrumental in my Mom's life who passed away Sept 2018.

<3:'(<3
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    Nice karma, and nice stories everyone.

My father and two of my uncles served in WWII. My father-in-law won the Distinguished Flying Cross for his service in Korea and then later, he also served in Vietnam. His son also retired from the AF and I was in for 4 years during 'nam, but never had to go there, thankfully.

Father-in-law is second from the right.

3iko5bmj9b7n.jpg

My father painted some of the places he served during WWII on a captured Japanese flag. I really need to get this properly framed.

hx3rk4vzd75l.jpg

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,514
    Options
    My 94-year-old father-in-law was a lineman in WWII, Europe. Two Purple Hearts, shrapnel and a gunshot. He didn’t talk much about his experience, but sent a draft of what he hoped would eventually become a book to his kids. I read it just last year. Life got in the way of the book, but he credits the GI Bill with his success. He got a doctorate in English and became a vice-president at a branch of SUNY in western New York. My Dad also was a lineman, Europe and then Japan during the occupation. One Purple Heart. Almost 10 years since he passed.

Great karma, by the way.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Trying to see if I can find some combat information for the Lonesome Lil.... the B26 was as tough an aircraft to fly as it was for the enemy to shoot down.

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    My grandfather was an ambulance driver in WWI. Yes, WWI. He had to drive with no headlights in pitch black conditions, picking up wounded on the battlefield and dropping off wounded at field hospitals. I cannot even imagine what he saw or went through to get the job done on a regular basis.

My brother served in the Marine Corps directly out of high school. He was involuntarily extended when the first Gulf War/Desert Storm took place. He doesn't talk about it much but it is amazing, and shocking, to hear what happened to him over there when he does talk about it.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    My Grandfather was in the Navy but I know very little of his time there. My uncle has been a Marine for over 20 years now, set to retire a Master Gunnery Sargent. Don't know many stories though.

Not in on this Karma but awesome post and stores shared by others.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • seeclear
    seeclear Posts: 1,237
    Options
    My grandfather was on his way to WW1 when the armistice happened right after he landed in France. My uncle and father in law both served in Korea. None of them really talked much about their time in the service. In, please.
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Nice but not in
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    nooshinjohn, I meant to put "not in" on my post. I had never sat and written about the people who I knew had done so much for us. It was a humbling experience for me.

Thank you for initiating this thread.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,600
    Options
    Not related to the karma, but posted by a friend of mine on another forum:

"A Memorial Day story.

During May, June and July, of 1966, my new bride of one month and I, a new 2nd Lieutenant in the Army, arrived for a short tour at Fort Benning, GA, for me to attend the Infantry Officer Basic Course.

We were quartered in post housing, known as Battle Creek Homes, which was designated for active duty TDY Officers and the dependents of deployed soldiers.

The units were single level and all lined up dress right dress. In the warm evenings that we weren't training, we would sit on lawn chairs out front, in groups. The members of the groups were mostly dependents of soldiers that were deployed to Vietnam.

Almost every evening an Army staff car would enter the complex and stop on one of the streets. A hush will fall over the groups as a Army Officer and NCO would approach the group and ask for a dependent by name.

The Army officers wives would do their best to console the dependent notified of her husband being killed.

I will never forget the grief those women went through and the sacrifice their husbands made."
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    nooshinjohn, I meant to put "not in" on my post. I had never sat and written about the people who I knew had done so much for us. It was a humbling experience for me.

Thank you for initiating this thread.

That's what this thread is all about. It is all to easy to forget sometimes what those closest to us have done to preserve our freedoms. Looking at this thread not only reminds us of their sacrifice, but also shows me that we are all connected in ways I did not even consider before. We truly are family...

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    Congrats Jimbo18... you are the winner of the Karma. Thank you for sharing the stories of your family with us. Send me a PM with your address and I will get things out as soon as I can.

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    Love me some Beatles. Thanks muchly!!
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    Here's to you Jimbo18. Your father's captured flag blew me away. Yes, please get it framed.

Harry

Harry / Marietta GA
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    Congrats Jimbo18!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,514
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Congrats! Thanks to everyone who shared a story.