I’ve often found myself wandering the earth...

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    It’s all about efficiency of design. Mass, component packaging, etc., and cost. Fuel efficiency is directly related to the mass of the vehicle. Packaging allows for more cabin space, better for the customer. Integration is the key. If we can multi purpose a component that traditionally required 2 or more separate components, all the better.

Of course the challenge is reliability. There has to be robustness in these systems to avoid major failures if any of the ancillary integrated sub systems fail. Security is also a challenge. Prevention of others hacking into your vehicle is a big risk.

Cars nowadays are so electrically inter-twined among the subsystems they’ve become essentially computers on wheels.

Just my thoughts. :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    verb wrote: »
    I...
    Cars nowadays are so electrically inter-twined among the subsystems they’ve become essentially computers on wheels.

Yup -- which is why the "tech companies" are all heck-bent ;) on becoming car companies.
    Automobiles as most of us have know 'em will die out with our generation, methinks :(

Maybe for the best, but still sad to contemplate.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Well said Mark,, I first met Reelrouble when he hosted a PF,,along with Hoosier21,Trietz,Tour2ma,F1,Sal, and many more,, oh yeah,,some kid by the name of Trey,,, such good times we had ,, then there was the woodshed rig,, that’s another story for another time

I was at Ted's for that Polkfest. Probably the high water mark for the Forum were those days.

Yep,, that’s where I first met you,, such good times!!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Electrical schemes these days can use a single wire to send data for both a window motor and a speaker at the same time.

Can you tell me what car company does this so I can be sure to never purchase a vehicle from them?

BMW has been doing this for more than a decade now, and I believe most manufacturers do some of this now. Jaguar, for decades, has employed a low-voltage architecture that has many systems running at 5.5 volts, and others in millivolts. As cars have gotten more sophisticated with computers and the like, many manufacturers use low and ultra-low voltage setups to allow the computers to talk with each other. It gets dang near impossible for aftermarket to function in that environment, and given that every manufacturer I know will void your warranty on the entire vehicle for tampering with their electrical systems in any way, aftermarket is virtually done for new cars.

There is also a coded technology referred to as "multiplexing", which sends a pulsed electrical signal that can only be read by the computer or device that signal is meant for. This allows multiple functions to be carried out by a single wire. Even a Hyundai can do this today...

Now, if you are upgrading that 1970 Monte Carlo... knock yourself out.

This is true. My 2009 GTi lost, hill assist, heated seats, A/C compressor all because a wire that went to the heated washer nozzles had broken inside the insulation. I have to hand it to the dealer techs for finding that odd electrical gremlin.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I always keep a beater around so I can cruise with an after market stereo. The new cars (outside of replacing speakers) isn't worth the trouble. The fine balance of the already overboard amount of electronics don't do good with the voltage drops of a car stereo that's decked out.

It used to just be that you would slowly kill your alternator or rattle your car loose, now a days there is too much that can go wrong.

Now I do have an 09 corolla with a pretty kick butt system in it because I don't think I will ever shake the first love of audio I had.

I have had that system in 4 different cars, it's like the energizer bunny, it keeps going and going and going.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited May 2019
    It’s all about efficiency of design. Mass, component packaging, etc., and cost. Fuel efficiency is directly related to the mass of the vehicle. Packaging allows for more cabin space, better for the customer. Integration is the key. If we can multi purpose a component that traditionally required 2 or more separate components, all the better.

Of course the challenge is reliability. There has to be robustness in these systems to avoid major failures if any of the ancillary integrated sub systems fail. Security is also a challenge. Prevention of others hacking into your vehicle is a big risk.

Just my thoughts. :smile:

And one reason the C8 Corvette is more than a year behind schedule... a decade behind if you want to include the injunction order of a bankruptcy court judge putting a stop to it becoming the C7. The only reason the 'Vette survived at all was because upon further review by the courts, the Corvette was the only car actually turning a profit.
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Yes computers on wheels that can be shut down at the flick of a switch.
  • codycatalist
    edited May 2019
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Yes computers on wheels that can be shut down at the flick of a switch.

Hell I blew my ignition fuse on a Mazda 626 years ago from my stereo. Talk about shut down with the flick of a switch...or a hit of 120 db 30 Hz tone. :p

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    Hey how about we stop about automobiles and clarify our stance on DCM Timeframe or Timewindow loudspeakers? For me, awful but at the time was neat. Yeah there were others like the equally awful Bose 901.

Don’t post what like or loved. Post what you were surprised to realize they sucked.

No more cars as the 12v forum was buried a long time ago.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • codycatalist
    LOL

What surprisingly sucks? Big SDAs in a small room. Ugh.

• dorokusai
    edited May 2019
    I’ve heard both scenarios but for me they shine in a larger space. That being said, if you’ve had the pleasure of hearing F1Nuts’ rig of hardcore... you might re-evaluate your position.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dorokusai
    As with any hobby it can get crazy and loose. What I’ve always admired about the Club Polk forum and subsequent discussions...there’s no answer as you figure it out.

I don’t believe any suggestions in regards to upgrade this, upgrade that on this forum are not that irrational. Can everyone drop everything and do everything? Of course not but the ease of investing into something bigger has been done by others and should provide comfort in expense.

Not some random website offering things that make zero sense. This cultivates a cult of personality that’s home based. User based. Comfort based. I’ve never been lied to or misconstrued anything out of context on this forum. I’ve disagreed with a bunch and found resolve in things that are new or foreign per se.

We do what we want and progress through what we hear. That’s what it’s always been about.

Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to throat punch my neighbor who keeps tapping on my window. I have a doorbell.
  • verb
    Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to throat punch my neighbor who keeps tapping on my window. I have a doorbell.

I like your style @dorokusai :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Yes. Very neighborly. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • codycatalist
    I've slowly upgraded my system overtime with the help of this forum. There are some like verb who jumped right in (which is great) and others like myself that have slowly amassed a decent system over the 4 years or so I've been on here. I never felt like anyone lied to me but I do take experience as subjective. I don't knock it till I try it

Plus there are some great people on this forum that are just fun to talk with.

• pitdogg2
    I use old metal hangers for speaker cables and inter-connects.
    The DCM Timeframes I heard back in the day were just mediocre in my mind. Then again they were lower in the line and driven by a receiver.

:D:D:D:D
  • codycatalist
    I’ve seen some timewindows for sale locally many times but never took a shot with em.

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I LOVE Time Windows and Time Frames. :D

They're easy on the ears.

Not bright overly midrangey like some JBLs or Klipschs.. Just a unique laid back BUT still detailed sound to me. I've had 2 versions of the Windows and the 350 and 450 Time Frames so far. ;)

In fact, I just told 2 guys they need to hear my Time Frame 350's when I get some more space. Heck, I might just put them on the porch of the cottage soon and let them guys hear them playing when they show up one day. :p
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 723
    Tony M wrote: »
    I LOVE Time Windows and Time Frames. :D

In fact, I just told 2 guys they need to hear my Time Frame 350's when I get some more space. Heck, I might just put them on the porch of the cottage soon and let them guys hear them playing when they show up one day. :p

Just watch that your neighbors don't tap on them. :D

On a serious note, I think this forum is great. I lurk here often and always get a since of community. I've never seen anyone steered into the wrong direction, and those who ask for help always receives it.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited May 2019
    I’ve seen some timewindows for sale locally many times but never took a shot with em.

The original timewindows (series 1, 1A -- I think) are very, very good loudspeakers (despite being made - predominantly - of cardboard, specifically, Sonotube).

I have the world's ugliest pair (need to do something about that some day) -- the sound makes up for their hobbled aesthetics.

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited May 2019
    I think the first series Time Windows were better than the second also.

Tweeters sure help make a speaker special don't they. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

The original timewindows (series 1, 1A -- I think) are very, very good loudspeakers (despite being made - predominantly - of cardboard, specifically, Sonotube).

I have the world's ugliest pair (need to do something about that some day) -- the sound makes up for their hobbled aesthetics.

Now Mark you gotta post of pic of your little beauties! :smile:
  • verb
    DSkip wrote: »
    The sale of Polk Audio was the end of that era. The transition from Polk the Company to Polk the Community happened then. There used to even be an active car forum here too but that died at the same time.

While those days are important they do not represent what we are today. I feel like the brotherly love across regions is stronger now than ever before. Members have become established hobbyists instead of Polk fanboys. We all hold Polk dear but understand what they are and forever will be from here on out. The forum matured as it needed to - as it HAD to - in order to survive.

I’ve been hosting events at my house for damn near a decade and have even had the fortune of receiving the first shipment of Signature series for the meet I had a few years ago. Unfortunately Michael Ditullo is no longer with Polk either. What a damn fine ambassador he was. He was talking to me about hosting an official PolkFest with the release of the new line prior to exiting the company.

We have a few others who step up to the plate to host - guys like John and, most recently, Joe. This is what is needed. As long as we can have regional meets and bring buddies along, this forum isn’t going anywhere. This is no longer Polk’s tool to reach consumers - it’s our home.

Interesting thoughts @DSkip and I too am puzzled. BTW on Polk's homepage, there is a link to this forum. Their only forum link.
    n3mq6byxdgxc.png

As an online shopper and researcher, I will look at a company's forums to get a feel for what the customers are saying. It does seems like a missed opportunity for them.

Sure, with some moderator help, social media outreach, etc. I'm sure they could grow this forum to expand their lifestyle products, while still preserving a space for the vintage Polk lovers.

Poking around, I found this interesting site that tracks web activity and has web details about this site.

https://www.easycounter.com/report/forum.polkaudio.com

In the light of this discussion, this was interesting:

sivgx0v14jww.png

Is the end near? I hope not! :smile:
  • pitdogg2
    Wonder what was changed 3months ago?
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767

Wasn't that around the time that they shut the forum down for a day or two and when we came back nothing worked correctly? I had tried to figure out what they did but I couldn't find anything...
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    That's about the time we went moderatorless
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2019
    DaveHo wrote: »
    That's about the time we went moderatorless

That was my though as well Dave.
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Mark started wearing his ****$lessChaps again

I didn't think he stopped...… I'm so out of the loop :D

• dorokusai
    Chaps are inherently assless, I just prefer to be more engaged. I paint eyes like a PacMan octopus on my cheeks.

The days of solid moderators left with PatrickC, Justin and Ken Swauger. I stopped moderating after the merger and was let go as non essential personnel. Pretty much every basis for rules of any kind left as well. They were reprinted with another name attached. Club Polk was easily policed by membership overall. The current so called Darth Vader types have zero clue about this community. It would take years for the corporate entity to embrace CP or understand it all. Shite happens.

It’s nice to see the newbies from the old days flourish and continue to dole out solid wisdom. It takes a couple years to do what you folks handle. I admire the fact that the gangs still all here. A handful of us lurk from time to time. When you get old...wait. Where am I? Another **** site? Figured.
  • codycatalist
    DSkip wrote: »
    The sale of Polk Audio was the end of that era. The transition from Polk the Company to Polk the Community happened then. There used to even be an active car forum here too but that died at the same time.

While those days are important they do not represent what we are today. I feel like the brotherly love across regions is stronger now than ever before. Members have become established hobbyists instead of Polk fanboys. We all hold Polk dear but understand what they are and forever will be from here on out. The forum matured as it needed to - as it HAD to - in order to survive.

I’ve been hosting events at my house for damn near a decade and have even had the fortune of receiving the first shipment of Signature series for the meet I had a few years ago. Unfortunately Michael Ditullo is no longer with Polk either. What a damn fine ambassador he was. He was talking to me about hosting an official PolkFest with the release of the new line prior to exiting the company.

We have a few others who step up to the plate to host - guys like John and, most recently, Joe. This is what is needed. As long as we can have regional meets and bring buddies along, this forum isn’t going anywhere. This is no longer Polk’s tool to reach consumers - it’s our home.

Interesting thoughts @DSkip and I too am puzzled. BTW on Polk's homepage, there is a link to this forum. Their only forum link.
    n3mq6byxdgxc.png

As an online shopper and researcher, I will look at a company's forums to get a feel for what the customers are saying. It does seems like a missed opportunity for them.

Sure, with some moderator help, social media outreach, etc. I'm sure they could grow this forum to expand their lifestyle products, while still preserving a space for the vintage Polk lovers.

Poking around, I found this interesting site that tracks web activity and has web details about this site.

https://www.easycounter.com/report/forum.polkaudio.com

In the light of this discussion, this was interesting:

sivgx0v14jww.png

Is the end near? I hope not! :smile:

You can only register domains for a finite amount of time. They more than likely are coming up on the 10 year mark (max time allowed) and time to re-register