SDA 2b' Crossover Upgrade- Do I have this right?

Options
I am looking to upgrade my crossovers for my SDA 2B's with blade/blade IC connection. I have a parts list. I wont be using the 5.8uF since mine aren't a candidate for the TL mod.
Any advise?

I am considering buying new boards. I noticed the inductors are not on the parts list. Can someone tell me what inductors I should buy?

Here is the parts list: http://www.gimpod.com/parts2b.html
x6cbbnrakmdj.png
fcyyjrreu79r.jpg
dn1t7ibjg675.jpg

Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3 TL
Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
Carver M 1.0 MK2 Opt 2 x2
Carver CT Seven Preamp
Bluesound Node 2i

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    There's no reason your blade/blade 2B's cannot be TL'd.

The inductor values are printed on the schematic.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    Options
    To echo F1nut, go the TL route!

You're in the cabinet upgrading the crossover, why go halfway when the 198 speaker sounds so much better. A little more of an investment but the 2b becomes an awesome speaker when you finish!

Gimpod boards, don't even consider not using these. Best C-note you'll spend.

Reference this wiring diagram:
    http://www.gimpod.com/pdfs/SDA_2B_CRS+_1987+_PB_Schematic.pdf

For inductor upgrade I believe you'll need 0.4mH, 1.250mH, 2.5mH and a 16mH (2 of each of course)

Jantzen for the smaller ones:
    0.4mH 22awg #000-1489
    1.25mH 20awg #000-1137
    2.5mH 20awg 000-1695

Special order these from HiFi Collective. Europe-based but fast shipping, never had a problem.

Many options for the big one,
    I used an Erse SuperQ 17mH 16awg ESQ55-16-17000 from Parts Express.

You need a meter and will unwind this one down to 16mH. Using the SuperQ will drop your overall DCR.

PE (255-298) sells a Jentzen 16mH 18awg that would also work but I like what the SuperQ does for a little bass improvement. You can get the Jentzen from HiFi Collective as well for a single order if so inclined.

Make sure to use hurricane nuts during the reassembly for the speakers and these will blow you away.
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I have a set of 2b crossovers that Trey modded for me a couple of years ago that are still sitting in the boxes if you'd be interested. I spent about $650 having him build a kickazz set of XO's and then got really busy. Don't see me ever getting back to them. Think I have the upgraded tweeters and an upgraded umbilical with Neutrik connectors. I'd make you a heck of a deal on them.
  • jbail2011
    jbail2011 Posts: 102
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I have a set of 2b crossovers that Trey modded for me a couple of years ago that are still sitting in the boxes if you'd be interested. I spent about $650 having him build a kickazz set of XO's and then got really busy. Don't see me ever getting back to them. Think I have the upgraded tweeters and an upgraded umbilical with Neutrik connectors. I'd make you a heck of a deal on them.

Very interested. Pm sent
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver M 1.0 MK2 Opt 2 x2
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • jbail2011
    jbail2011 Posts: 102
    Options
    Thank you for the answers to the test RobbyKY and all for your feedback
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod